First Custom Build PC Specs Ok???

drewster

Yeah I'm not gonna do any overclocking or anything, just stock. Yeah and I wanna start buying everything but I wanna make sure everything checks out ok first. And it would be less stress for me if I could go with plain heat sinks that way I don't have to mess with any water. So what would you guys think is best?

drewster

And I'm sorry if my questions are remedial, I've never done this before and if I'm gonna spend this much I wanna make sure I measure twice cut once. I wanna get it all right the first time without making any costly errors.

Drenlin

Nothing wrong with being thorough. :)

Yeah, if you're just running everything at stock clocks, you should be perfectly ok with air cooling. There aren't any cases with bad airflow that will fit an SR-2, so no worries there. Get a couple of good coolers for the CPU's and you're good to go. :good:

drewster

Cool! Ok so does the motherboard come with its own heat sinks? Also, what coolers would you suggest for the CPUs? I'm looking for the best mind you.

drewster

Wait are CPU coolers and heatsinks the same thing? And after little research into heatsinks the Noctua NH-C14 Heatsink seems like a solid product. What are your thoughts?

Drenlin

A CPU cooler is a heat sink...in this case the two terms are referring to the same thing.

The ones on that list I posted above are all pretty good. Any of them would work. Personally, I'm fond of the Tuniq Tower 120 extreme, mostly because it looks awesome.

Drenlin

Pretty much, yeah.

The Noctua you mentioned is also a very good cooler, by the way, if you'd rather get it. Any of the ones on that list should keep your cpu's at relatively low temperatures.

bomberboysk

For the SR-2, i would definately recommend the coolermaster V6 heatsinks, they are excellent heatsinks, come with excellent fans,will handle those Xeons up to ~4Ghz or so, and look quite sleek as well as being pretty moderately priced.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...&cm_re=Coolermaster_V6-_-35-103-089-_-Product
or
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...&cm_re=Coolermaster_V6-_-35-103-088-_-Product

The GT has LED's on the top, is nickel plated, and comes with an extra fan. If you aren't planning on overclocking, the regular V6 is plenty sufficient, plus you can always add a second fan to it down the road.

As far as GPU's, its been a few months since you looked at hardware, want to post a list of what you've so far decided as your tentatively final build?

Last edited:

drewster

Alrighty, I am very sorry for the LONG absence. It's been a long time, but I would like to have this computer paid for and built by December. I hope everything is in order. If there's anything else I'm missing, any tips, critiques, etc, I would GREATLY appreciate advice. This is a GOOD chunk of change I will be spending and I do not want a penny of it wasted.

Case: Custom Pinnacle 24
Motherboard: EVGA SR-2
Power Supply: ANTEC 1200W
Graphics Card: GeForce GTX 560 (Two of them)
Memory: G.SKILL PI Series 6GB (3 x 2GB) DDR3
Harddrive: Samsung Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB
SSD Drive: OCZ Agility 2 OCZSSD2-2AGTE180G 2.5"
CPU: Intel Xeon X5650 Westmere 6 core (Two of them)
DVD Drive: Samsung Black SH-S223
Sound Card: HT Omega Claro Plus
Fans: Yate Loon CLEAR 120mm High Speed w/Blue LED (multiple lol)
Heatsinks: ZALMAN CNPS9700 LED 110mm 2 Ball CPU Cooler (Two of them)

I worry about the heatsink situation, as I will need two heatsinks, and I'm not sure how the ZALMAN will fit, let alone TWO of them.

Again, any help I can get would be GREATLY appreciated! And thank you all for all the help up to this point!!

drewster

Alrighty, and as for the heatsinks? Any suggestions? Regarding how the heatsinks will fit relative to everything else I will have in there, and anything else you can think of? Thanks again!

salvage-this

maybe up the graphics card to two 580s or 590s? and maybe go for 8 gb of ram instead of 6?

If I am right the SR-2 that he is using 2 sockets that can run with triple channel. So if he wants to take advantage of that his options are either

1. 2 (3x1gb) = 6gb total
2. 2 (3x2gb) = 12gb total

Given how cheap RAM is now and what applications the OP is going to be running I would suggest getting 12gb. It is overkill but I thnk 6gb is kind of on the edge for design programs. Just my opinion

@drewster
The heatsinks that bomberboysk linked are great coolers. Should fit nicely on your board. If you are really worried about space you can go for something like the H60, or other closed systems like it.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835181015

EDIT: if you are getting the 560ti, go for the 2gb model.

Last edited:

jonnyp11

isn't the 1220w overkill, asking just to make sure cuz idk how the power consumption is on the dual-socket boards, but even so i can't see 2 xeons and 2 560's using even 1000w, since a 2500k with 2 gtx560ti's we normally recomend a 750-800w corsair or antec psu

drewster

It's actually a 1200 watt, but that's just what's been suggested to me many times. I never got around to actually doing the math myself. Also, as for the memory, I was looking at the G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 12GB (3 x 4GB):

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231405

However, I am unsure as to the compatibility. I found a memory compatibility list for the SR-2 on EVGA.com, but I do not know what makes the memory they specify to be compatible.

I would really like the heatsink I named above just for the cool blue LED... I guess I'll see if I can get some more info as to how those would fit with everything.

salvage-this

Also, as for the memory, I was looking at the G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 12GB (3 x 4GB):

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231405

I don't think that would be a good idea. I am not completely sure on this (other members correct me if I am wrong) but I think that the memory that is on the channels closest to the processor are dedicated to that CPU. 2 sets of 3x2gb would be better.

Again other members please correct me if I am wrong!