First motherboard questions...plz help

ScOuT

VIP Member
Thats what this place is for...advise and help. It only took me about a half an hour to research all the products I recommended to you, everything will work fine together.

This will be a very nice build for you, and it is within your budget :)

Last edited:

TMGL&L

okay I just broke down and bought the quad. I hope this thiing will be blazin' with a 195 dollars. is the p5k compatible with this cpu?

TMGL&L

like i said in my other posts i bought the core 2 quad now i need a mobo has on board sound (I need an optical out) connection.

will a budgeted mb be like that be a bottle neck when overclocking? I could still buy a sound card i guess

Last edited:

ScOuT

VIP Member
The P5K is compatible with the Q6600, below is the ASUS suport page for the motherboard.
http://support.asus.com/cpusupport/cpusupport.aspx?SLanguage=en-us&model=P5K Pro

I found a better motherboard for you, it's only $10 more. It has a FSB of 1600 that will be the safest way to overclock. I like just using the FSB rather than voltage to overclock. I have fried a few things in the past :) The Q6600 has a FSB rating of 1066 MHz, so with a 1600 MHz motherboard, there is plenty of room to stretch your legs! The only thing you have to be concerned about is temps when overclocking. You need to get a good CPU cooler as it sounds like you want to drive right in overclocking.

Here is my new recommendation, it has a lot of good reviews. Don't just listen to the reviews on Newegg, you have to go to some real sites, half the people on Newegg reviews don't even know what they are talking about :)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131277&Tpk=p5k%2fepu

Here is the web site for the new recommendation. It is compatible with the Q6600.
http://www.asus.com/products.aspx?modelmenu=2&model=2075&l1=3&l2=11&l3=534&l4=0

This board has 8 channel audio built in. I used on board audio for years and never had a problem. I have a sound card now because it was given to me by a friend for fixing his water cooler. I can notice a difference with the sound card, but I game so the sounds are much more realistic now :)

jdbennet

yeah i agree with the people on newegg dont kno what they are talking about

one guy gave it a crap review because his HDD didnt come with packaging, cables or instructions. THATS WHY ITS CALLED "OEM" AND WHY ITS CHEAPER!!!

ScOuT

VIP Member
Yup, people buy stuff on Newegg and have no idea what they are getting into and then complain that some thing does not work right.:confused:

ScOuT

VIP Member
There is 2 things I am worried about with this build.

- CPU cooling, what is your plan to keep it cool when overclocking? This processor does not come with a CPU cooler, that's why it's called OEM. The Antec 900 is a great case for air cooling so a decent fan and heatsink will be good.

Here is a good CPU cooler. The OCZ Vendetta 2 was the best CPU cooler tested during 2nd quarter 2008 by Benchmarkreviews.com. It had the best overall score:) all reviews complain about pushpin style mounting. It is actually easy if you just take your time and do it right the first time. Get all the pins pointing in the right direction and then secure the corners. The reviews also complain about High Fin RAM hitting the cooler, the RAM you bought has high profile so I would be willing to bet it will be an issue for you also if you use that RAM. (yet another example of Newegg reviews, somebody didn't do their homework)

OCZ Vendetta 2
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835202007

Here is the fan & heatsink reviews for you to poke through.
http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=163&Itemid=62

This is another great cpu cooler;) XIGMATEK HDT-S1283 120mm Rifle CPU Cooler for $27 after rebate:eek: This might be your best bet here! :D
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835233003&Tpk=Xigmatek+HDT-S1283+CPU+Cooler

-The RAM you have already bought is good RAM for a really good price. I think you might get bottle necked with all the editing you will be doing with only 2 GB of pc6400. The new motherboard I recommended can take a lot better memory. I understand it costs more:( But you can save some money on the graphics card and put into memory:cool:

since you are not a serious gamer, this card will be great for the video and editing stuff you do. I know you said you wanted to spend $200 on a card(that's why I recommended the 9800 GTX) but this card is only $110:eek:

PNY XLR8 GeForce 8800 GTS for $110
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814133193

Case : XION II w/12” green cold cathode
Motherboard : Asus P5N-E 650i @ 1532 FSB
CPU : Intel Q9300 @ 2.875 GHz
CPU Cooler : Cooler Master Hyper TX2
RAM : Corsair XMS2 Pro/pc6400/ 4x1GB/ @800 MHz
Graphics : Evga 9800 GTX @ 760 MHz
PSU : Antec Neo Power 650w / modular cables

Last edited:

TMGL&L

alright well maybe they don't know what they are talking about but u guys gotta rem I'm not any more experienced than all the guys on there giving it really bad reviews. I think its likely that I will have the same issues as they will.

If newegg isn't a real site than what website should i go to for reviews?

just a noob

i wouldn't get an open box motherboard, they can come missing with things, most of the time they aren't much, but apparently some guy on another forum said he got an open box that had no northbridge/southbridge cooler on it, on another note, if you're looking for reviews, type in the product's name, followed by "review" usually you will get some sites

TMGL&L

just a few questions...

What does "epu" stand for on this most recent board?

Do i really risk roasting anything with the pro? I see that the one guyon newegg (noob or not) is running a pro with a q6600 and an antec 900 hundred.

I saw a few ppl with quads on the pro...I'm gonna look up reviews on all these...

I guess whichever board i get i'll be alright (three diff asus boards)being that were looking a just asus products here.

TMGL&L

Features on the p5k epu
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131277&Tpk=p5k%2fepu

ASUS Power Saving Solution
ASUS Crystal Sound
ASUS EZ DIY
Intelligent overclocking tools
Precision Tweaker 2
SFS (Stepless Frequency Selection)
Overclocking Protection <----------:eek:

I hope this means its still overclockable....

by the way, those open box models are like $40 and $50 off w/free shipping.......they're lookin reeeeeally good to me right now

Last edited:

just a noob

either one, go for the open box, i've heard good stories where everything is there, then i've heard horror stories, where its a box antistatic bag and just the motherboard with nothing on it

ScOuT

VIP Member
ASUS EPU
Enables the Most Energy Efficient Motherboard in the World
The ASUS EPU utilizes innovative technology to digitally monitor and finetune the CPU power supply with improved VR responses in heavy or light loadings. Working together with AI Gear 3, it automatically provides power for higher performance or improves efficiency by 50% when the PC is running low intensity applications - helping you attain the best possible power efficiency and energy savings of up to 80.23% to help save the environment.

That is a quote from the website link below

http://www.asus.com/products.aspx?l1=3&l2=11&l3=534&l4=0&model=2075&modelmenu=1

all I am saying is the P5K/EPU with a FSB of 1600 and it can take 1200 MHz RAM will be a more stable overclocker. This board will be much better for a beginner learning to overclock. It is much easier to adjust FSB speed and not have to mess with voltages(North Bridge, CPU, RAM) to crank up your cpu. The Q6600 can get a nice overclock running with stock voltage.

Example; my set up

Asus P5N-E 650i has a FSB of 1333 MHz and my processor, Intel Q9300 has a FSB of 1333 MHz. On paper it looks like it all lines up. To overclock my processor I have to increase the FSB. They are both only rated at 1333 MHz. But my motherboard becomes unstable and will crash if I go any higher than FSB 1532 MHz (I've tried everything a person can try). That takes my Q9300 from 2.5 GHz only to 2.875 GHz. That's is all the higher I can overclock with adjusting the FSB and voltages! Not a good overclocking set up at all:mad:

Example; your set up

Asus P5K/EPU has a FSB of 1600 MHz and your processor has a FSB of 1066 MHz. On paper it looks like it doesn't match, but it does. You will be able to reach 1600 FSB easy with that board. That will in turn increase your processor speed, you will have almost 500 MHz room to increase your processor speed. It might become a little unstable the higher you go because your processor will need more power, you might have to adjust the voltage just a notch or two and you will be running 3.0 - 3.2 GHz easy with that setup.

-----this is the best way to start off learning how to overclock-----

Did any of this make sense? I tried my best to explain it, I'm not very good at writing what I want to say:eek:

Did you make a decision about the graphics card and CPU cooler? That is just my idea for you, go with a little lower graphics card (you are not a serious gamer) and put the money into a good CPU cooler because you want to overclock.

All I was saying about Newegg reviews is not to judge a product by the reviews on there, I read them and many more before I purchase a product.

I would not put extra money into a motherboard because it has WiFi, just plug your internet cable into the back and save $50 on a motherboard. That's me anyway, I live in Germany and have DSL 16,000 with a gigabyte connection so my internet is the fastest I have ever seen, for me WiFi on a desktop does not make sense. I guese it is good for somebody out there.

Like I said before...This is a place to learn and we are here to help you, we all had to learn sometime:D

Last edited:

ScOuT

VIP Member
I found this...it is an ok guide on how to overclock an Intel 6600 on a P5K motherboard. He has it running at 3.4 GHz, does not explain everything as well as it could be. As you will see....overclocking can be very complex and take weeks to bump a little and test, change this and test, bump this and test....the cycle never ends!:eek:

Write back and let me know an update to your hardware selection:)

http://forums.hexus.net/hexus-hardware/110267-c2d-overclocking-guide-beginners-p5k-add.html

TMGL&L

okay I just purchased the items u recommended. I did some research w/the board but pretty much nothing on the vid card and the fan so i'm completly relying on ur word here.

I'm going on vaca tomorrow the next day and the next day...feel free to leave messages but i will not get back for a little while. Meanwhile all my parts should arrive.:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

more news and questions to come. Thx for the help...bbs

ScOuT

VIP Member
That sucks....

You will be happy with the build for the amount of money you spent. What graphics card did you end up buying?

ScOuT

VIP Member
Ya....a 9600GT for only $90. I have never heard of the company. You might want to do some research on the web and see what they are about (customer support, driver support, and general customer satisfaction) Myself....I would be nervous buying a card from a company I have never heard of. I tried finding some company reviews and could not find much. If you get a dead card or have problems with it good luck with their costomer support.

I am sure it's a decent card...it has to work if they are selling it.