First PC Build & Over Budget----NEED HELP

AMD_man

Also, as mentioned in previous post

I've updated AMD man's build but there are a few compatibility notes at the bottom of the build, please take a look and let me know if these are a real concern.

- I didnt downgrade the processor as I really didnt see no big price drop by going down to a non 'K' processor.
- Changed the GPU to a non SLI GTX 1060 but there are a few there to choose from hopefully what I selected is ok.
- Will I need an network adapter, I assume yes so please help me select a suitable card.
- I added Windows 10 Home, can someone please give me the basic difference of the PRO version.

I will need a CD/DVD drive, a suggestion on this as well would be appreciated.

Also, is there anything else needed for this build, I have a monitor, keyboard, mouse, etc from my old Dell so i assume that will still work fine. I do plan on upgrading those devices later.

Ok the first warning should not be ignored. You are probably not going to be using all drive bays, but still.

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/kpz6pb

There. Optical drive and wireless adapter chosen based on score. They should be fine for general purpose uses.

Actually never meant to add a wireless adapter so I will remove that. Meant to add a network card for hard wire.....or is that already included somehow?

Also, I have a power supply that I purchased a few years ago when I was going to start this build, will this work with todays components. See picture.

Attachments

• 14795659_10154447545166413_748452260_o.jpg
    14795659_10154447545166413_748452260_o.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 4
Last edited by a moderator:

Laquer Head

Actually never meant to add a wireless adapter so I will remove that. Meant to add a network card for hard wire.....or is that already included somehow?

Ethernet is build into the motherboard.

Yeah that PSU should be totally fine. Corsair is a very good make!

Laquer Head

Ok, updated again, two compatibility notes, are these a real concern.

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/FpXRYr

• The motherboard M.2 slot #0 shares bandwidth with a SATA Express port. When the M.2 slot is populated, one SATA Express port is disabled.
No, you aren't using either the m.2 or sata express, so this doesn't matter. Even if you were, basically just means you lose a sata express port, IF you are using an M.2 SSD
  • Unable to verify the Rosewill Stryker M ATX Mid Tower Case and the Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler are compatible.
I honestly have no idea. I've never used a Rosewill case, nor have I ever even seen one in use. I personally would stick to a case by Corsair or NZXT

• The motherboard M.2 slot #0 shares bandwidth with a SATA Express port. When the M.2 slot is populated, one SATA Express port is disabled.
No, you aren't using either the m.2 or sata express, so this doesn't matter. Even if you were, basically just means you lose a sata express port, IF you are using an M.2 SSD
  • Unable to verify the Rosewill Stryker M ATX Mid Tower Case and the Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler are compatible.
I honestly have no idea. I've never used a Rosewill case, nor have I ever even seen one in use. I personally would stick to a case by Corsair or NZXT

Ok I will search for a new case. Am I better off going with a full ATX instead of mid?

Laquer Head

Ok I will search for a new case. Am I better off going with a full ATX instead of mid?

If you like the Rosewill case, don't let my opinion stop you.

I've had both full and mid tower, depends on your space and components..etc. I think most here would agree, for you, a mid tower is best option. Take a look at the Corsair 230T, for example, solid case, simple layout, good quality usually under $100 CDN

If you like the Rosewill case, don't let my opinion stop you.

I've had both full and mid tower, depends on your space and components..etc. I think most here would agree, for you, a mid tower is best option. Take a look at the Corsair 230T, for example, solid case, simple layout, good quality usually under $100 CDN

Laquer....its suggestions like yours and the others that is making this enjoyable for a first time builder.......and trust me this would be an overwhelming task if not for these forums.

So I've switched to a Corsair 300R ATX mid, I must say I really like the look of this case. Updated build below, is there anything else you can think of that I maybe should consider changing.

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/product/pFV48d/corsair-case-300r

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/jQZJgL

Laquer Head

My apologies, I didn't realized you added in an M.2 device (Sasmung Evo) what I would recommend, spend the extra money on a Samsung 950 Pro M.2 they are pcie based, whereas the evo is sata based and much slower. Take out the EVGA psu since you got the Corsair 650 already

Laquer Head

Only other things to mention.. do you need an optical cd/dvd or bluray drive?

Also, don't forget to get a tube of thermal paste for the processor.. a tube of arctic silver is what I recommend.. should be between 6-10 bucks CDN

Just to clarify this, you will be using the M.2 slot for the (Samsung 950 Pro) but as you won't be using the sata express ports, its not going to be a concern in this case.

I added a dvd/cd drive and some arctic silver and with promos and discounts on newegg your right about $1323 The 950pro was out of stock temporarily so that does put you over the 1500 mark (shipping+ tax), but thats everything.

Laquer Head

Is it really worth getting the 950 Pro? I mean it´s $200 over the 850 EVO.

The evo is sata ..might as well use a normal sata3 2.5".. I'd say the 950pro it is definitely worth it for the speed and performance that pcie and nvme bring to the table..,

Updated...right at $1490 + tax and shipping, definitely more than i wanted to spend but should last me years and also should be up-gradable should i decide to do so. Ok so one last look I guess before I go off to buy this stuff. Was thinking I could just email this build to NCIX and see if they can supply everything. Does that sound reasonable or do you guys just go out to all the different distributors as suggested by pc parts picker.

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/J98Z9W

Laquer Head

I use PC partpicker as a guide or baseline for a build.. but I buy my parts online from newegg.ca, memoryexpress.com, or ncix.com whoever is cheapest and whatever the best rebates are, or better yet point of purchase discounts!! Shipped to my door, I live in the country so the courier can do the work..

AMD_man

The evo is sata ..might as well use a normal sata3 2.5".. I'd say the 950pro it is definitely worth it for the speed and performance that pcie and nvme bring to the table..,
There are M.2 EVOs. There is a big leap in performance but I don´t think the standard user would notice it. I mean it´s just gaming, how much could it change?

Laquer Head

There are M.2 EVOs. There is a big leap in performance but I don´t think the standard user would notice it. I mean it´s just gaming, how much could it change?

The M.2 Evo you mentioned earlier is sata ..not pcie like the 950pro. also, its not just about gaming, its the drastically different level of speed and performance you see in normal tasks. At the end of the day threads like these are purely for advice and opinion, whatever the end user chooses is up to them.

I use PC partpicker as a guide or baseline for a build.. but I buy my parts online from newegg.ca, memoryexpress.com, or ncix.com whoever is cheapest and whatever the best rebates are, or better yet point of purchase discounts!! Shipped to my door, I live in the country so the courier can do the work..

Ok sounds good.

The M.2 Evo you mentioned earlier is sata ..not pcie like the 950pro. also, its not just about gaming, its the drastically different level of speed and performance you see in normal tasks. At the end of the day threads like these are purely for advice and opinion, whatever the end user chooses is up to them.

Well I do want this PC to be fast, thats one of the reasons for the build and why my current PC is getting the boot. Like I said earlier I am not a huge gaming fanatic but sometimes I play for a few weeks then drop it for a month or longer but I spend a lot of time on my PC doing other work both for my business and leisure browsing. I also want to get into some video editing with all the home movies we've accumulated over the years so it will need some 'grunt' for that as well.

AMD_man

Well I do want this PC to be fast, thats one of the reasons for the build and why my current PC is getting the boot. Like I said earlier I am not a huge gaming fanatic but sometimes I play for a few weeks then drop it for a month or longer but I spend a lot of time on my PC doing other work both for my business and leisure browsing. I also want to get into some video editing with all the home movies we've accumulated over the years so it will need some 'grunt' for that as well.

You didn't mention video editing. In that case an I7 is something to consider.

If I were you, I would forget about the 950 Pro, get something more economical, and get an I7-6700. Editing and content creation is basically the reason why the I7 line exists.