Fish Tank Full Of Veggie Oil For Computer.

SubDude199

hmm true! i supose if building computers is more of a hobby to you it would be worth it.. but if u were just a norm pc user like myself it would be pointless:p

btw are those internet download/upload stats ur computer?? thats DAMN fast:p

Yea its just for fun, and if I can get the thing to run a low low temps (thinkin about puting the radiator right at the output of my air conditioner now , and outside in winter!!) and I can oc like crazy then that even more fun !! yes that is my internet speed.. It is fast!.. I love it.. im using 2 modems with a 15 meg connection and a Dual Wan Load Balancing Router!!...I would like that add that you response was very mature.. I felt link I kinda snaped on you for sayin it was stupid, (didnt mean it to sound like a snap but it did) and you came back with a nice response!.. your a good man!..lol

Last edited:

SubDude199

well I did some thinking and I am going to go with a 6 gallon fish tank.. the clear case thing is cool but a lot of work and kinda expensive.. Im going to walmart to get a fish tank and oil now!.. I will post pics of the build!..

spanky

do not use vegitable oil, it degrade over time, you need to use di-electric fluid or some sort of mineral oil as a long term solution.
There are dozens of threads on this topic, have a search

I'm pretty sure that's what I said at the beginning of this thread...

SubDude199

I got all the supplies.. I went with a 10 gallon fish tank.. I got alot of looks buying a fish tank and 9 gallons of oil..lol..I will be building tonnight.. I already took a few pics, just taking a dinner brake..

ThatGuy16

VIP Member
I got all the supplies.. I went with a 10 gallon fish tank.. I got alot of looks buying a fish tank and 9 gallons of oil..lol..I will be building tonnight.. I already took a few pics, just taking a dinner brake..

I bet they were thinking "what kind of fish goes in 9 gallons of veggie oil" lol

SubDude199

lol.. special fish that can only live in veggie oil!..

ok.. I got it all done.. a little gheeto right now, using a piece of wood for the cover..

but first impressions:

crap... the temp sensor on my processor is not right.. I was not running as hot as I thought I was before, cause it the same temp in oil.. video card shows colder tho!

SubDude199

ok..well the reason the cpu was the same temp is because the oil is actually over 34 already.. wich tells me that I definatly need to get a radiator setup going soon..

Picture001-3.jpg

Picture002.jpg

Picture003.jpg

Picture004.jpg

Picture005.jpg

Picture006.jpg

Picture007.jpg

Picture010.jpg

Picture011.jpg

Picture012.jpg

Picture013.jpg

Picture026.jpg

Picture028.jpg

Picture036.jpg

Picture002-4.jpg

Picture004-1.jpg

Picture005-1.jpg

Picture006-1.jpg

Picture002-6.jpg

Picture003-4.jpg

update:

Totals:

10 Gallon fish Tank = $10
9 Gallons oil = $43.20
Pump: $11
Radiator = $40
Clear tube 20 feet 3/8inch= $6 (need alot to get allthe way to the aic conditioner, will need another gallon of oil to fill it, lol)

Radiator:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HAYD...tegoryZ33727QQihZ011QQitemZ320134229351QQrdZ1

Pump:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...RK:MEWN:IT&viewitem=&item=130131070117&rd=1,1

I chose that oil cooler because its long and narrow.. It will fit three 4" fans perfecty with a little space between, its 15-1/2" x 5" x 3/4"

should I have the fans sucking or blowing?...

(suprised no one noticed that I dont have the same PSU as my sig, and im 1.25 gig short on ram..lol. Well I got this PSU for free with a rebate offer so I decided to use this for the project, supprisngly it is hold up just as good... and I moved some of the ram to my media center computer in the living room)

Last edited:

K3rupt

Man, That is Absolutly OWNING!

Love it!

Hmm, Your CPU fan will Wear out very shortly from the stress.

Run 3d Mark or another Intensive program and find out what your Temp's Get up too?

SubDude199

well, I just got up to piss and I ran my hand over the tank and WOW, its hot just from being idle all night, took a phisical measurment with a IR temp sensor form outside the tank and its 40.0C!!!!!, threw the glass! so I looked at the actual temp of my processor and its 52C idel.. so I have come to the conclusion that this is absolutly useless (even worse than air) unless you cool the oil.. i dont have the pump or radiator yet so im going to just take the cover off for now (hope nothing falls in). I cant believe how hot the oil is.. I wouldnt want to stick my hand in!.. Im going to go grab some french fries and a fre nuggets and deep fry them for breakfast!

Geoff

VIP Member
A few things I would recommend.

One, get rid of that heatsink/fan, and buy a larger completely passive cooler. Because the fan is going to die out very soon, and to get better cooling you should buy a larger passive heatsink.

Also, I would either remove or disable the fan for the PSU. Alot of articles I read actually had the PSU out of the oil.

But it's looking good!

SubDude199

yea I was reading articles that said its a toss about puttin the psu in there. there is really no advantage because no one really worries about there psu overheating, its not going to hurt anything to do it, but it will add heat a little more heat to the oil.. I decided to do because the tank is big enough, and because there is so many wires on it I didnt want to deal with outside the tank and I didnt have any room outside to put it..

I do need to re think the cover.. something will come to me, not sure at the moment.. Thanks for the comments

SubDude199

Just Added a bunch of pics

I cant seem to edit the title, can and admin add ***Pics Added Page6***to the end of the title for me..thanks

SubDude199

WOW.. CPU temp is now 57C.. man, if your not going to cool the oil then this is a BAD thing.. this is amazing, I have fans blowing on the oil to cool it..lol.. I turned my pc off this thismorning to let it cool for about 8 hours, and the oil was still 39C.. I hope it stays cool with the radiator setup.. tracking says it will be here on the 12th, until then my pc will be off when im not using it.

ThatGuy16

VIP Member
WOW.. CPU temp is now 57C.. man, if your not going to cool the oil then this is a BAD thing.. this is amazing, I have fans blowing on the oil to cool it..lol.. I turned my pc off this thismorning to let it cool for about 8 hours, and the oil was still 39C.. I hope it stays cool with the radiator setup.. tracking says it will be here on the 12th, until then my pc will be off when im not using it.

Stick that sucker into a freezer lol....