Fish Tank Full Of Veggie Oil For Computer.

chrislo

That is impressive, I wouldn't do it though I would be worried about it leaking and recking my rug. Or if my hardware goes what a mess that would be to fix. Since this is related to cooling has anyone ever just took apart a small air conditioner and put an evaporator directly into the case?

SubDude199

Hi everyone. Havent seen this thread in a while but im back to update, you will notice a few pages back that when I moved I took the PC out of the oil. I am still using the Pc months later. I have to replace the cpu fan right away (I chose not to disable it when in the oil because it looked cool and pushed oil over the cpu, it is recomended to completly remove the fan). The reason I am here to update is because my GPU fan is starting to make noise. I assume the bearing is starting to go out on it. I will need to replace it soon. Othere than that everythign has been working prefectly.

Bronson7

That's too cool if only for geekness. Put some long airstones in there and run off an aquarium air pump. The air might conduct some of the heat away from the oil + plus it would look waaaaay cool.
Bronson7

SubDude199

Update: I didnt even replace the GPU Fan, just cleaned it and it works good. and now I am gettin ready to build my Q66 project.

just a noob

wait until one of those days here in wisconsin and throw some tubing outside when its 20 below :D but seriously great job

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
How the hell do you submerge your power supply in oil? :confused::confused: Thats what I don't get.

dougland

Crazy. I wouldn't do it just because i'd hate the fact that it's not practical. but awesome if you ask me.

SubDude199

Well several months after I took the setup out of oil my PSU finally died. I kinda expected this. The PSU deals with 120VAC where everything else in a PC is 12 volts DC or less. Its much easier for 120volts to find a path threw oil that 12 volts (Especially when I took it out of oil it was sticky and attracted dust, and dust will help transfer electricity). So Anyway the Mobo/Processor and Video card are great electronically still (Had to replace fans)

SubDude199

WELL. I figured I would update, incase anyone is wondering about the long term effects. Its been quite a while. over a year. and the computer is still running good.

the only problems were the fans got gummed up and stoped working. simple fix. and the PSU smoked. I recomend leaving the PSU out of the oil.