Flashing BIOS

oscaryu1

VIP Member
I have an Slot 1 700MHz that to me has an pretty good overclocking optential... unfortunately the BIOS does not have an overclocking option. Since my Slot 1 400MHz's BIOS had one, I was thinking of flashing the BIOS to an newer version.. I have NEVER flashed an complementary metal oxcide semiconductor before. Steps please?

PC eye

banned
For one a board that old wouldn't see something like the Asus A.I. ocing feature included on the board. An update of the bios alone won't improve ocing potential but simply allow for any fixes to be seen with that model board. The user manual or online support site will instruct how to go about preparing a 3 1/2" floppy for running the usually dos type flash tool and the last updated version if still available.

Many old boards are simply discontinued items and no longer see any support. A 3rd party site is then usually sought after for any archived updates. If still found the bios update will need a copy on both the floppy used and at the root of the hard drive namely C or first primary if more then one partition is present.

oscaryu1

VIP Member
Well seeming it does. I may have pictures up to prove it...

Either some guy (bought it on ebay like in 05) replaced the CPU with an crappy one...

It has the range of 66-133FSB...

oscaryu1

VIP Member
100_0408.jpg

CPU

100_0411.jpg

BIOS overclocking options

I can even adjust the voltages :)

Sorry for 2nd blurry pic. CRT's are good in photography.

StrangleHold

Staff member
You just find what board model and bios chip it has, get the flash utility and the bios update, put them on a floppy and boot to it and run the utility.

PC eye

banned
That's provided you can find the last version for the bios. The other method as seen in information Asus and other companies offer would be to order a new bios chip with the most recent version prefleshed onto it by the manufacturer themselves. That eliminates the need for worry on your part.

For using the dos type method with the Asuss AWDFLASH.exe tool you have to have the bios version being a file with a number/letter combination seeing ".bin" as the 3 digit file extension there. If it has for example 0807 as the current version you would boot from the floppy and start the too manually to see a prompt come up. There you enter this for an 0807 version while the new one is on the floppy and root of the hard drive both. "ren 0807 1024" and press the enter key to watch usually a progress indicator. Note the 1024 represents whatever the new version's number is.

The manual if you have that onhand or can find online or by contacting the support staff by email or phone will provide that manufacturer's instructions for using their own tool. But if they can provide a link for an archived update it's either finding a new version at a 3rd party site that does archive files or ordering a new chip if you can to see a new version on it. That would be the steps to take for restoring an old board to prime shape.

StrangleHold

Staff member
You just set it in the bios to boot to the floppy drive, most bios by default try to boot to the floppy first anyway, when theres not a floppy in the drive it goes to the next boot device. Whats the board make and model?

StrangleHold

Staff member
That's provided you can find the last version for the bios. The other method as seen in information Asus and other companies offer would be to order a new bios chip with the most recent version prefleshed onto it by the manufacturer themselves. That eliminates the need for worry on your part.

I dought if they still have a bios chip for a Slot 1 board

PC eye

banned
That's something the support staff would have to answer there. Being a rather old board most are obviously totally discontinued while some support sites will archive updates for later retrieval. You can still get old Catalyst and NVidia drivers when emailing support for a link.

It depends on the company as well. Since most is import not domestic to the U.S. they don't fall under the law requiring manufacturers to provide support for 10yrs. on products manufactured by them. If it was a US company the likelihood of an update is far more likely. Or you can see if they still have a bios chip to order with an update preflashed by them. You simply tell them the version(newest obviously) you want on it.

PC eye

banned
Once you know the bios version there you can search around to see if that was the last for that model board or reflash the newer version if you can find it. But you will still have to run an extended search in order to find it. You would have to match that make and model up exactly however. If you flash the wrong version without backing the current one... bye bye board!

oscaryu1

VIP Member
Once you know the bios version there you can search around to see if that was the last for that model board or reflash the newer version if you can find it. But you will still have to run an extended search in order to find it. You would have to match that make and model up exactly however. If you flash the wrong version without backing the current one... bye bye board!

And you backup by....

StrangleHold

Staff member
Plus almost all boards have removable bios chips like his so its not bye bye board, maybe a hassle but not bye bye.

Last edited:

PC eye

banned
That's if you can still get the replacement for the old board there. Even the old floppy flash tools have a backup option in case you have to restore the one you are replacing. As for replacement chips you can specify which version you want it to come with when ordering it from the manufacturer directly.

tremmor

One thought though..... flashing is risky business even in dos mode. When you flash you have a need to know what the flash is going to do for ya. If your having a problem maybe running certain hardware and the flash is available then you might need it. or maybe it is addressing issues or corrections or better performance with the previous ver then you might need it.

Don't flash unless its going to solve you problem.
its risky business and could easily shut you down if an error occurs.

PC eye

banned
The first most do is backup the existing version before proceeding with an update. The floppy is pretty much outdated with the newer Windows flash downloads as well as the EZ-Flash type feeatures even live update now seen.

With the floppy method the new version was placed at the root of the drive as well as having copy on the 3 1/2" there. You then had to follow the instructions to the letter provided by the board manufacturer. Now you can easily select the model board at the support and download a winflash tool or use the live method.

oscaryu1

VIP Member
The first most do is backup the existing version before proceeding with an update. The floppy is pretty much outdated with the newer Windows flash downloads as well as the EZ-Flash type feeatures even live update now seen.

With the floppy method the new version was placed at the root of the drive as well as having copy on the 3 1/2" there. You then had to follow the instructions to the letter provided by the board manufacturer. Now you can easily select the model board at the support and download a winflash tool or use the live method.

Hmm... well it IS old... so maybe I can get it on an floppy?