Flashing BIOS

PC eye

banned
First you would have to locate a site that still has the last bios version available in their archives if you haven't tried emailing the manufacturer's support staff for a link for it. You will also want to backup the current version in case of a bad flash since those would be rare at this late date.

As far as ocing features in the bios. Those are generally seen there from the start. An update doesn't provide more options to a board's design but offers fixes for any bugs discovered after the board is distributed to vendors and in home pcs.

PC eye

banned
By the time those were out I was already working with AMD builds and then into the early Atholons from the old TBirds. You would have to ask around for those that ran the old P I+II systems on that.

oscaryu1

VIP Member
It only makes it worse that it's slot 1 :'(

Well... the 700 overheats. But it's running F@H fine (with a like 50mm fan hot glued on it :p)

The 400 idles @ like 40-50C... and it raises to 80C and beyone (i couldve sworn it went over 100 once)

PC eye

banned
Intel's main problem well before the newer lines of Core 2s and quads that many are raving about always ran warmer then AMD models. On the old systems there you have to remember the stock coolers used there.

The 700 you seem to have seen some progress with by putting a better fan on it. You just have to remember when ocing any old system that cooling comes first there since newer AMD and Intel systems alike see the improvements in ocing capabilities. On the old systems you manually had to do this and that "carefully" to avoid damages.

oscaryu1

VIP Member
Well amazingly, I just re-found this thread :p ... It seems that my OC board is pretty good :) I can switch from 266MHz to 400MHz, and then raise FSB till crash, then raise the voltages, then overclock again :D Good Asus board.. except only 32/16MB of RAM (still a picky board :()

PC eye

banned
When swapping cpus on the old Atholon baords by Asus you could then raise the fsb up from 266 or 333 to 400 as long as that was a 400mhz model cpu. When first going to build tha last Socket A build here the only cpu found at vendors at the time was the XP3200+ since the 2800 and 3000 models seen where for the 333.

The 3400 was unavailble when looking at the fastest model out since that was primarly sold to CompaQ or other companies just to have the fastest cpu on their machines over anything you could build yourself stockwise. That was an old marketing trick there namely "make sure ours are faster then the custom builders!".

Due to that the main stream thought was to oc a custom case now seeing newer boards coming with easier ocing tools and features included. Just take a look in the manual for one of the newer Asus models out as well as other companies to see how that goes.