Floppy Drive

bball4life

Ya comp usa tends to be the easiest place to pick up smaller things like that, I'm sure bestbuy or stuff would carry them just check before you go. Unless you have a fry's electronics near you then that beats all. :p

DCIScouts

VIP Member
Best Buy does not carry these items (I had a similar problem a month ago, tried to go the retail route, and had to go to a local PC parts store...) We didn't have a Comp USA in the area, they would be the only one that would possibly have this type of thing as far as any retail chain would go. Otherwise, look for a computer repair shop, and they should definitely have the cables you need.

BrandonL

yeh i got a comp. usa near me but now im confused b/c ppl are telling me different things about who has what. there's actually a little computer store by my house that im about to scout to see if they have it. ill check and get back to you guys with some results. thanx for the feedback

PC eye

banned
Compusa would certainly be one place or the local pc repair shop. When the 6" round floppy cable used on one case was too short a local shop had a pair of ribbon cables long enough. None of the other stores mentioned before even bothered with the standard internal drive let alone replacement cables.

StrangleHold

Staff member
None of the other stores mentioned before even bothered with the standard internal drive let alone replacement cables.

Circuit city sells both internal and external floppy drives and IDE/ATA cables! Just didnt know if they sold floppy cables!

PC eye

banned
Circuit city sells both internal and external floppy drives and IDE/ATA cables! Just didnt know if they sold floppy cables!

Circuit City doesn't seem to carry the one thing brandonL needs. floppy cables. :rolleyes: Pc Toys is one low end brand that sell round floppy cables with a sort of cheap blue colored vinyl covering. The better brand that is sold by Circuit City is Antec round ide cables but no floppy cables, ribbon or round. With everybody booting from cds floppy cables aren't a selling item.

DCIScouts

VIP Member

Yes, oddly enough Circuit City has a couple of different floppy drives available, but those drives don't have any cables, how useful is that??? :rolleyes:

PC eye

banned
They cut down on the accesories they used to have. At one time they had both round and ribbon types. They also carried the PC Toys brand when round cables were starting to get popular. Well at least they carry Antec cables and supplies along with WD hard drives. But there's no floppy cables or Artic Silver sold there.

circledancer

It might be easier to just get on of these, TDK external, just plug and play.About $25.
TDK_Floppy.jpg

PC eye

banned
The cost on external drives will be higher anyways. You can buy Sony drives at one site for $14.99 + $1 shipping. I grabbed a pair here when getting the new case in and then had to chase after a pair cables. :p The round cable from the old case was too short while the ribbon cables still onhand here were crud. But I grabbed a pair with one as the spare just like one of the Sony drives.

Having an internal floppy setup is also a big help at times like repair of the master boot record. You can use a bios update tool by booting from a floppy. Or simply repair the mbr with an older startup disk. Despite systems like eMachines coming without them 3 1/2" drives won't be disappearing any time soon.

BrandonL

id rather have an internal floppy drive anyway... I DO HAVE AN INTERNAL HARD DRIVE, so there's no sense in debating about where to buy a new one or if i should get an internal one or not. my simple question was, where can i buy the cords to hook it into my computer and what do they look like...

MODERATORS PLZ CLOSE THIS THREAD

BrandonL

thanx for the link stangehold... but i was shown another pic that had a plug that hooks into the four prongs in the back of the floppy drive. is that the little plug that runs from the power supply box with the fan inside it?

StrangleHold

Staff member
thanx for the link stangehold... but i was shown another pic that had a plug that hooks into the four prongs in the back of the floppy drive. is that the little plug that runs from the power supply box with the fan inside it?

Thats the power plug, theres one already on the power supply

BrandonL

i know that's what i just said... so all i gotta do is buy the other cord that u sent me the link for and im set... so im good

can u take a look at my other thread though. it's under desktops and it's titled "MAJOR PROBLEM!!!!!"