Folding@Home: CF Official Discussion Thread

My laptop was folding like crazy this morning! Completed two full work units in under two hours (1500 each)

Folding@Work anyone? :D

Ohh good idea but, the pc's at my work suck. They are all dell's with p4's and 512mb ram w/onboard graphics. But, they all have touchscreens which is nice.

Edit: My boss just spent $2500 on a new server pc. I can tell you right now it's only worth about $400-500 LOL He got ripped off

I have one of our old upgrades. AMD Athlon X2 3800+ (socket 939)

We had P4's before this, and all our new ones are socket 1366.

If I only had one core, I wouldn't attempt it. :D

GTX 275 in sli or 2 X GTX 275 for folding

so for folding, what would be better.
GTX 275 in sli or 2 X GTX 275 for folding running separatatley

what do u guys think.

The best would be running folding separately on them--I don't believe you can run them in SLi, and even if you could, it wouldn't be as fast.

You actually have to disable SLI in the Nvidia control panel to run 2 GPU clients.
Unless you are running the new 19x.xx, which however i only recommend the 195.39 beta's if you wanna run the 19x.xx as the other 19x.xx drivers have many issues(major one being bios corruption on nf200 based boards and gpu's)

All I can say is WOW!

The team stats are amazing...this is a great time to be Folding at CF. Great job to everybody that is throwing points up. The guys Folding with the i7 rigs...my hats off to you:)

I really thought about building an i7 rig...but with Uncle Sam sending me on vacation for a year it just would not make sense. When I return...i9 with Fermi cards running SLI.

I'm the only one running the bigadv client for bonus points. :confused: :eek: :(

I know mep is trying to work some bugs out on his, but cmon guys,
get those i7's rockin!

It's addictive!!! :D

If 3 or 4 of us were running the bigadv clients, there's no way that team would catch us.

We've already dropped from about 323rd place to 314th just this month. :good:

Can anybody tell me how to make the clients start automatically when the computer starts? The problem is...my wife and daughter always forget to start the clients. I get home and the computers have been running for 10 hours and no Folding!:eek: :mad:

I have made short cuts and added them to the "Start-up" Folder like I have read in a few guides...that did not do anything:eek: Another guide said to copy the "exe" files from the program files in my C: drive and pasted them into the start-up folder...nothing again

Dell is running XP Home Edition / Normal CPU client and GPU client.

My Rig is Vista Home 64bit / SMP and GPU client.

I believe you can run the SMP client as a service, which should force the client to run automatically when you boot up the machine. Here's the insrtuctions at the Stanford website...

Note: We do not officially support running the SMP client as a service, although people have found the following to work:

* .NET 2.0 & Windows SMP Client must be installed from the same account with full administrator privileges.
* using the -configonly flag, say "yes" to services question & configure everything else as you normally would. Do not start the client yet.
* Open the services control pannel, go to the new FAH WinSMP service & open the properties and click the Log On tab. Select Log On As: This Account (instead of Local System Account), put the user name for the account under which .NET 2.0 and the SMP client were installed. Enter the password.
* Reboot. The SMP client will automatically start in service mode.

The shortcut/startup folder methods you described don't work with all apps. I've tried to do this with other apps - sometimes they work, sometimes they don't. You can't run the GPU client as a service. For your Dell machine, you should be able to run the "normal" CPU client as a service as well. Running the clients as a service is probably the only way you can get them to startup automatically.

I'll give it a shot...I have already tried several things...just attempted again with a fail. I am leaving soon and want my clients to run as much as possible while I am gone.

Maybe a big sign at the top of the monitors would work :D

This could mean the difference of hundreds of thousands of points the next year...I gotta figure out something quick:)

I'll give it a shot...I have already tried several things...just attempted again with a fail. I am leaving soon and want my clients to run as much as possible while I am gone.

Maybe a big sign at the top of the monitors would work :D

This could mean the difference of hundreds of thousands of points the next year...I gotta figure out something quick:)

You can't make a shortcut to your fah.exe file and put that in your startup folder? That always worked for me..

My GPU client always starts when I reboot.

I use the one with the Graphic Display, but I never open the display itself.
You have to right click on the icon in the taskbar to open it.

The gpu.exe is in my startup folder, but I did not put it there.

Back