Folding@Home: CF Official Discussion Thread

MyCattMaxx

It is set at default to use all of the cpu that you are not using. Frame rates vary even on the same unit #. Processor speed is the most important thing, more ram does not help. My 1.7 gig takes twice as long as my 2.6 to process.

Keep on folding! I see we are down to only 20 active folders.

BTW, With that dual core you have I think you can fold 2 units at the same time.

Jet

VIP Member
yeah i found out that they are 1.5 to 2 meg.... but what i dont understand is how come its takes so long lol... i wouldnt really care if it used more of the processor

they should have a setting so that you can give it as much cpu usage as you want lol

oh and how quickly do you ppl get a WU done? i go at 35 seconds a frame lol

Download the Windows SMP client, and then you will be getting much more Points per day

Jughead

banned
Ok I want to start folding for CF but how do I set it up I looked at the sticky and it confuses me and I want to use both cores of my core 2.

Jet

VIP Member
Folding on a Dual or Quad core processor (or a server motherboard with two Single, Dual, or Quad core processors installed)
(Windows SMP Client)

First off, make sure you have Microsoft .NET 2.0 installed (or later version).

Then, download the Windows SMP client from http://folding.stanford.edu/download.html. It is the 6th link down on the list; it is called Windows 2000/XP/Vista SMP client console version. Once downloaded, double click on the file you downloaded and run the setup. It is pretty straightforward, just continue to click next, and then finish. Once done, go to the folder where you installed the SMP Client. Look for the "install.bat" file located there.

Foldernew.jpg

Note: You MUST have a password for your user in order to install this program. A blank password will not work

Double click the install.bat file. A box may pop up and ask if it should block this program; make sure to select allow. Enter first your Windows username, your password, and then confirm your password.

Finally, double click the fah.exe file:
Noname.jpg

A DOS window will pop up and ask you these questions:

User name [Anonymous]? Your ComputerForum Username
Team Number [0]? 44358
Launch automatically at machine startup, installing this as a service (yes/no) [no]? no
Use Internet Explorer Settings (no/yes) [no]? yes
Use proxy (yes/no) [no]? no
Allow receipt of work assignments and return of work results greater than
5MB in size (such work units may have large memory demands) (no/yes) [no]? yes
Change advanced options (yes/no) [no]? no

Run the client; if you have any problems, post them up in this thread!

Last edited:

Impulse666

frames depend on both your computer and your work unit (WU) assigned. on one machine i get 24s/frame, on another i get 24min/frame. but for 24s i work 5000 frames, where as on the 24m i only have to work 500.

MyCattMaxx

I'm back on with my main comp..

COOL! We need points REAL BAD! We have been slipping lately. Welcome back! I just got my AMD back up and running! Bad caps in the PS.

BTW, Your sig reminds me of the boyscout oath. On my honor I will do my best to help the girl scouts get undressed! LOL

Last edited:

jancz3rt

<b>VIP Member</b>
hey guys i ran the program for about 36 hrs straight now and this is what i'm at...
4l7uw0o.jpg

how does that compare to y'all?

Heya, this is what the whole team is at :)

http://vspx27.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/main.py?qtype=teampage&teamnum=44358

Thanks for joining in, as always, we appreciate it.

Here's the latest update since I was away from my PC for two weeks:

Date of last work unit 2007-07-29 23:13:54
Active CPUs within 50 days 104
Team Id 44358
Grand Score 1694634
Work Unit Count 15600
Team Ranking (incl. aggregate) 461 of 75121

JAN :D

Last edited:

Jet

VIP Member
Greetings everyone!

We need to pick up the pace just a bit. Right now, we're projected to lose 3 spots in the next 30 days.

If you haven't been folding in a while, it would be great if you joined back in!

It would be great if 3 new people with Core 2 Duo/Quad processors to fold 24/7, or close to that. I will personally guide you through the steps to setting up the Windows SMP client. Just for your information, some people have been getting in the 2500+ per day from one single Core 2 Quad. Even just one of you would help enormously!

Last edited:

rbxslvr

Greetings everyone!

We need to pick up the pace just a bit. Right now, we're projected to lose 3 spots in the next 30 days.

If you haven't been folding in a while, it would be great if you joined back in!

It would be great if 3 new people with Core 2 Duo/Quad processors to fold 24/7, or close to that. I will personally guide you through the steps to setting up the Windows SMP client. Just for your information, some people have been getting in the 2500+ per day from one single Core 2 Quad. Even just one of you would help enormously!
I have not been folding with me laptops for a while... I'll get those set back up in the next few days... My friend is borrowing router. They are fairly slow though... 1 is below 1 ghz, the other is 2.4 ghz

Last edited: