Folding@Home: CF Official Discussion Thread

MyCattMaxx

I am annoyed. I have 4 units that have been sent in and not credited for. And this is just on the comps I have here. I am not sure if the others are doing the same.

Impulse666

Check this protein out:

266301d0.png

p3040_supervillin-03 :D

Jet

VIP Member
Just a shout out, to thank all of the members who keep on folding!

A big thanks to Superpetrik...Keep up the good work!

Impulse666

w00tz keep those compys foldin, and foldin, and foldin, and foldin...

How does Superpetrik have that many processors under his control? Are they his personally or does he run them on his work machines? Maybe he's an IT admin for a company and he put it on all the company computers. That'd make sense. If only more companies would do that. Think of all the spare processing power from 7PM - 7AM. Thousands of computers in a single building. I do hope one day F@H overcomes some immense milestone like finding a cure for cancer, and I can say I was part of that. Might even save a life one day. :D

Jet

VIP Member
Just fold with one Windows SMP (Multiprocessor) Client. It will bring much more return, I believe, than one GPU Client and one CPU Client (The GPU Client requires a core for feeding it with data). You should be getting in the ball park of 800+ PPD if you fold 24/7.

MyCattMaxx

Just fold with one Windows SMP (Multiprocessor) Client. It will bring much more return, I believe, than one GPU Client and one CPU Client (The GPU Client requires a core for feeding it with data). You should be getting in the ball park of 800+ PPD if you fold 24/7.

I fold 24/7 on several machines. I do not get that PPD...And neither do you. I see most doing about 100+ PPD. Superpetrik is running 18 comps and is av'n about 100 per day per comp.
In the last 7 days you have been showing 2 comps in action but I don't see you running anywhere near an 1600 PPD.
If I am doing something wrong please clue me and Superpetrik what we need to do to up the ante.

BTW, Good job on the near 800 PPD on the 2 comps.

Last edited:

Jet

VIP Member
I fold 24/7 on several machines. I do not get that PPD...And neither do you. I see most doing about 100+ PPD. Superpetrik is running 18 comps and is av'n about 100 per day per comp.
In the last 7 days you have been showing 2 comps in action but I don't see you running anywhere near an 1600 PPD.
If I am doing something wrong please clue me and Superpetrik what we need to do to up the ante.

BTW, Good job on the near 800 PPD on the 2 comps.

It is all about the SMP Client and folding with 4MB cache Core 2 Duo processors that are overclocked into the 3Ghz+ range. Believe it or not, some Core 2 Duos are getting 1600+PPD from one processor alone (overclocked).

Right now, I have been running a Pentium D 820 (not a lot of cache), at stock, in addition to a Pentium III 1Ghz computer that puts out a WU every few weeks. I had been hesitant to fold with my macbook, as I was seeing 85C load temps with folding, but I got a program called "coolbook" for $10, and now load on F@H is around 58-63C (coolbook allows you to change the Vcore, which I've dropped from 1.23 to 1.01), which I deem reasonable, as my desktop is at that same range 24/7. My macbook is only a 1.83Ghz Core Duo, which only has 2MB shared, so I'm looking at around 600 more PPD from that.

With my desktop I've been having a bit of problems, and haven't kept track. It seems like maybe I need a client reinstall, as it stops for a while at a percent, from what I can see. It is mostly unmonitored. I'll be checking in on it sometime the next few days, and maybe I can get a bit more out of it. It doesn't seem to be cranking out like it should, because most of the WUs come up as getting between 500 and 800 PPD, with 640PPD being the usual amount.

All that goes to say, if you can fold with the SMP client, you can get quite a bit of PPD from it! Core 2 Quads are an extreme scenario, with overclocking, getting ~2500PPD. Ah, if I had extra money lying around, I'd ditch my Pentium D for a Core 2 Quad, and then have 3 decent SMP clients: a Q6600, a PD 820, and my 1.83 Core Duo. Alas :)

Hey I just set up for Dual core, I need a way to monitor....

I have EMIII operating, I have restarted the PC, both processes are running, and CPU Usage =100%.... It's not moving, is there something I am not doing? I have boxes 1 and 2 displayed for both cores in EMIII

Thanks

Last edited:
Greetings everyone!

We need to pick up the pace just a bit. Right now, we're projected to lose 3 spots in the next 30 days.

If you haven't been folding in a while, it would be great if you joined back in!

It would be great if 3 new people with Core 2 Duo/Quad processors to fold 24/7, or close to that. I will personally guide you through the steps to setting up the Windows SMP client. Just for your information, some people have been getting in the 2500+ per day from one single Core 2 Quad. Even just one of you would help enormously!

Wish Granted!! An E6850 and P4 541

I'll be folding on 3.2GHz about 18/7... as long as I'm not gaming.

when I get my new setup (prolly a 2900XTX and the latest quad core + 4~GB DDR3) I'll fold a lot :)

If I put it up at 3.8-4.0Ghz, it will fly then.... I should do that... :rolleyes: I would like to really get some points on the board

jancz3rt

<b>VIP Member</b>
Heya

As an update:

Date of last work unit 2007-08-26 12:16:27
Active CPUs within 50 days 101
Team Id 44358
Grand Score 1832017
Work Unit Count 16197
Team Ranking (incl. aggregate) 461 of 78406

JAN :D

Jet

VIP Member
If I put it up at 3.8-4.0Ghz, it will fly then.... I should do that... :rolleyes: I would like to really get some points on the board

Just remember, for those of you who are overclocking, that F@H needs total stability. What is stable at benchmarking might not be stable with F@H.

Jet

VIP Member
You mean on the stats website? Or on the client? If you haven't showed up on the website, that's fine. You don't show up until you have done a Work Unit (WU), and WUs usually take a few days, depending on the WU and your computer. Slower computers will take around 4+ days or so before finishing a WU.