Folding@Home on Core i7: Bonus points for 8 core Linux VMs

Jet

VIP Member
So, I've found info for how those among us with Core i7s willing to overclock to get a huge points bump.

The key here is that there is a enormous bonus for those with 8-core systems who can get WUs done fast. Minimum is 2.8Ghz on an i7 to get it done in time, but if you can get it done just one day early it's a 100% increase in points!

Points system is as follows:

25,000 points for the WU (4 day deadline), plus bonus for how fast you get it done--if you can do it in 2.5 days, you get about 50,000 points. One guy with his i7 at 4.2Ghz gets 60,000 points for his WUs--the bonus grows exponentially.

Here's a detailed list:

002 hours = 10X
003 hours = 9.8X
004 hours = 8.49X
005 hours = 7.59X
006 hours = 6.93X
007 hours = 6.41X
008 hours = 6X
009 hours = 5.66X
010 hours = 5.37X
020 hours = 3.79X
030 hours = 3.10X
040 hours = 2.68X
050 hours = 2.4X <-- Core i7 at 4GHz (30,000 PPD) = 60967.2 points total
060 hours = 2.19X
070 hours = 2.03X
080 hours = 1.9X
090 hours = 1.79X
100 hours = 1.7X
110 hours = 1.62X
120 hours = 1.55X
130 hours = 1.49X
140 hours = 1.43X

http://www.linuxforge.net/bonuscalc.php

These are huge WUs--one person with 1.2Mb/s upload takes 20 minutes to upload a WU.

Things you need:
-you have to use a passkey
-You need 10 A2 units done before you can get the bonus.

Please look into this if you have an i7.

(P.S. if anyone wants to lend me an i7 system to fold with/maintain, we can work something out (ie, I could pay shipping if it's not outrageous)! I get free electricity and am on the 2nd fastest internet in the US, so those massive uploads wouldn't take long, and I'd love to get an EL WU box running for CF!)

Last edited:

bomberboysk

Saw this a few days ago....if only i had an i7 to crunch these on:( However, if you have i7 definately look into bigadv wu's.

Last edited:

ScOuT

VIP Member
Wow...if only I had my new build:(

I will take advantage of something like this when I have a new computer:)

Jet

VIP Member
I was hypothesizing--you can get an i7 CPU/Motherboard/Memory combination for under $500, or say $600 with a PSU and CPU cooler.

Trying to convince myself that building a dedicated F@h rig is somewhat hard, especially since I'm in college! Who knows...maybe Frys will have some Black Friday deal on an i7.

Jet

VIP Member
Why don't you like Frys? They have basically the best CPU/Motherboard deals on Black Friday.

(You have an i7! :p)

mep916

Administrator
Staff member
so far so good...later I'll see if i can get the i7 up to 3.6 or so.

Attachments

• fahvm.jpg
    fahvm.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 729
Last edited:

ScOuT

VIP Member
I was just reading about this again at xtremesystems forums and Evga forums.

Once you get it running it is insane. I saw a few screen shots of an i7 pulling close to 30,000 PPD:D

They were all saying that you have to complete 10 WU first then you can crunch the monsters and get the big bonuses.

You have got to keep us updated mep...too bad I won't be building a system for about 16 months:(

mep916

Administrator
Staff member
I was just reading about this again at xtremesystems forums and Evga forums.

Once you get it running it is insane. I saw a few screen shots of an i7 pulling close to 30,000 PPD:D

They were all saying that you have to complete 10 WU first then you can crunch the monsters and get the big bonuses.

You have got to keep us updated mep...too bad I won't be building a system for about 16 months:(

Yup, it's hella sick dude. I'm workin on the first smaller unit. Should be able to start on the bonus units by the end of the week...

fahprogress.jpg

mep916

Administrator
Staff member
Nice...This will be huge for your points!

OUR points. ;)

I'm not too concerned with my individual stats. I'd like to see our team averaging at least 75k to 100k per day. That would be awesome.

Jet

VIP Member
Reaching 100k would be amazing...it would be amazing if they had i7s at Black Friday for cheap!

ScOuT

VIP Member
Reaching 100k would be amazing...it would be amazing if they had i7s at Black Friday for cheap!

I bet they will...there is going to be sales everywhere. There are tens of thousands of people waiting to pick up new hardware on Black Friday. It is all over every forum. Stores would be stupid not to throw out a really good deal...their stock would be depleted within a couple days.

I really want to see what the new Nvidia cards will do. I am excited for the release. The GTX 260 has been good to me...had it for almost a year to the day. About time for an upgrade:D I have seen some rumors around the web about them. Many places say 512 processing cores:eek: That is some major power in shaders for Folding.

****EDIT****

I think bomberboy said he lives by a Fry's store. They sometimes have it for $199 in store pick up. The box is small and light so shipping would only be a few dollars:)

Last edited:

mep916

Administrator
Staff member
I'm def gonna get a GT300 card. I've gotta Fry's about 20 minutes away. I'd be willing to pick up for someone if there's something you need.

Bodaggit23

This is frustrating me. I got it working once but I had the SMP client set to big units, and
I remembered mep saying you need to do "smaller" units first, so I started over, now I
can't get the client to start.

And, Fahmon...what file or folder do I point it to for my GPU and normal clients?
The "work" folder? Where's my GPU "work" folder?

How do you stop the SMP client running in VMplayer?

Last edited:

ScOuT

VIP Member
This is frustrating me. I got it working once but I had the SMP client set to big units, and
I remembered mep saying you need to do "smaller" units first, so I started over, now I
can't get the client to start.

And, Fahmon...what file or folder do I point it to for my GPU and normal clients?
The "work" folder? Where's my GPU "work" folder?

How do you stop the SMP client running in VMplayer?

That's not what he meant by smaller units! The "smaller units" he was referring to are the large units in a normal SMP client. He was calling them "small" units as opposed to the MONSTER 60,000+ point work units.

He posted a link to the Evga forum that has a great guide to installing SMP. The issue is...correct me if I am wrong mep...the work units he is doing for the huge ammount of points can only be done with 64bit Linux. Check his screen shot.