Folding@Home on Core i7: Bonus points for 8 core Linux VMs

mep916

Administrator
Staff member
For that good of a cooler, I'd think that remounting it would be a good idea--it should be doing much better than that.

It's gotta be a mounting issue. I haven't reseated it in months so it's probably a little loose. lol.

I think I screwed up.

I ran ./fah6 -bigadv -smp 8 first...which started a huge work unit.

I noticed what I'd done so I shut down the client and loaded ./fah6 -smp 8

It's still working on the huge work unit...

(btw, is there any way to scroll up in the VMPlayer?)

You'll have to work through this unit, or find a way to delete the work files. I'd just work through it. I'm sure there's a way to scroll up but I don't know how. haha. If you want to view your log, view it in fahmon.

So, I'm on the big units now. Every time it starts up my PC locks up, so I'm beginning to think the lack of RAM may be an issue. I've allocated just under 5GB to the VM (the most available). I don't really have time to work on it right now, but I'll do some more research later on tonight.

Bodaggit23

I guess I could delete the folder and restart the VM from scratch, but since I finally got it working...I guess I'll just work the big unit.

YES!! Using the Log in Fahmon shows everything!

I was just trying to verify the IP because Fahmon is slow to update the large units I guess.

Everything is tippy top except my temps are in the mid 60's. I think I need to blow out my pc. :eek:

Jet

VIP Member
I guess I could delete the folder and restart the VM from scratch, but since I finally got it working...I guess I'll just work the big unit.

YES!! Using the Log in Fahmon shows everything!

I was just trying to verify the IP because Fahmon is slow to update the large units I guess.

Everything is tippy top except my temps are in the mid 60's. I think I need to blow out my pc. :eek:

Mid 60s isn't bad!

Bodaggit23

Yeah, but when I ran Prime95 it never went above 60c. :eek:

It must be working a bit harder now...:D

I still need to blow it out though.

So mep, when I'm done with this huge work unit, it will get me a smaller one?

mep916

Administrator
Staff member
So mep, when I'm done with this huge work unit, it will get me a smaller one?

Shut down the client. Restart with the -smp 8 flag. It should finish the big unit, then it should automatically download the 1920 ppd project. Run 10 of those and you're all set. :D

Bodaggit23

Shut down the client. Restart with the -smp 8 flag. It should finish the big unit, then it should automatically download the 1920 ppd project. Run 10 of those and you're all set. :D

I've been running the -smp 8 flag for a couple days now. (off and on, mostly on)

I'm 42% done with a 25,403 point work unit. ETA is 1 day 11 hours, deadline is 2 days 15 hours.

How big can I expect the smaller units to be?

mep916

Administrator
Staff member
How big can I expect the smaller units to be?

I'm not sure about the exact size. I was folding the 1920 units in ~6 hours with the i7 at stock, so I imagine you'll run through them in a couple days. It took me four days to finish 12.

Bodaggit23

Alright, I blew out my pc and my temps dropped 10c. :eek:

This afternoon when it got warmer outside, I was breaking 70c.

Now it's right at 60c.

First of the year I think I'm investing in a better cooler, with more pipes.
A new Xeon too maybe. :D

Bodaggit23

Sweet...I finished my 25,000 point work unit a couple hours ago, now I'm working on my first 1920 point unit.

Should be done in about 4 hours, 20 minutes.

I guess it was a silly question, "how big will the 1920 units be".

They're 1920 points. :D

One thing: It did not fetch the new unit for me.

I had to restart the client manually.

Last edited:

Jet

VIP Member
Sweet...I finished my 25,000 point work unit a couple hours ago, now I'm working on my first 1920 point unit.

Should be done in about 4 hours, 20 minutes.

I guess it was a silly question, "how big will the 1920 units be".

They're 1920 points. :D

One thing: It did not fetch the new unit for me.

I had to restart the client manually.

Awesome! I can't wait to see that one roll in next update :D.

Bodaggit23

Awesome! I can't wait to see that one roll in next update :D.

Neither can I. It took me about 3 days to complete the massive unit (by mistake) so my stats have really suffered.

Still got my GPU rockin away though, plus my media pc in the living room, along with 2 simple clients working on my work pc as we speak. :D

These little 1920 point units should help too.

mep916

Administrator
Staff member
Bodaggit, when you were running the -bigadv unit, do you know how much memory you allocated to the VM and how much you had available while it was running? I'm still having lock up issues when I attempt to run the client.

Bodaggit23

I allocated just over 5Gigs, and it was using every bit of it, but
when I'm folding, I do nothing but browse.

When I want to game, I shut it down.

mep916

Administrator
Staff member
I allocated just over 5Gigs, and it was using every bit of it, but
when I'm folding, I do nothing but browse.

When I want to game, I shut it down.

Same here. Well, I added more space to the page file, a total of 12GB. Ir ran for a few minutes then my PC locked up again. I'm not quite sure what's going on. I'll miss the deadline for this project but I'll continue to work on it. :mad:

I get this message when I open up the VM...

Attachments

• vm1.JPG
    vm1.JPG
    25.6 KB · Views: 60

Bodaggit23

Are you short on hard drive space by chance?

I tried to run mine on a 100Gb partition that seemed to have enough space, but
I got errors. Just a thought.

Jet

VIP Member
Are you short on hard drive space by chance?

I tried to run mine on a 100Gb partition that seemed to have enough space, but
I got errors. Just a thought.

So, is the consensus that 6GB isn't enough? It's a hard decision for me--both the i7 920 or i7 860 are the same price, but it's cheaper to get ram in dual channel--6GB is a bit low, but 12GB is a lot of $$, where 8GB I could see as being perfect.

mep916

Administrator
Staff member
So, is the consensus that 6GB isn't enough? It's a hard decision for me--both the i7 920 or i7 860 are the same price, but it's cheaper to get ram in dual channel--6GB is a bit low, but 12GB is a lot of $$, where 8GB I could see as being perfect.

He seems to be doing fine with 6GB. For me, I'm certain that I don't have enough available, even though we have the same amount installed.