Free Wireless

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
In my area where I live there are two free wireless services (802.11b) in the residental areas of the city ... was wondering if this was "special" or if other people have this in their respective cities as well :)

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
You can get almost 5miles with a can of pringles :p ... course it will take some work to get it going :p

Blind_Arrow

I still am not sure, weather it'll support 5 miles radius or not, as its huge. and dangerous as well, unless until you are confident with encryption. and darkd3vil, yes you can, as if u have wireless cards at ur home, and the gateway has either ur MAC ID listed, (or) the gateway operator is fool enough to give everyone with free wireless.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
I still am not sure, weather it'll support 5 miles radius or not, as its huge. and dangerous as well, unless until you are confident with encryption.
LOL yeah, my bad. I meant 3Mi/5km .... it's doable but its more of a proof of concept type of deal rather than an "avg joe" implementable thing. ... of course if you want it for proof or need wireless THAT BAD.. encryption wont be a concern :p

the gateway operator is fool enough to give everyone with free wireless.
Or the area has free wireless (i live in an area with 2 free 802/11b wireless services)

kb1ghc

If you mount point a pringles can into a large satellite dish, it will really give you a boost
(this is called a parabolic dish antenna with a waveguide feedpoint)

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, i think MaxPC did an article on this (or i might be thinking of a different magazine...its been awhile) but they managed to actually get it working in a real-world situation.... took quite some work but hey... cheap and fun :)

miaeih

I've heard of a couple cities with free Wifi provided by the local gov. More cities MAY catch on but it's a matter of money or who's going to pay for it.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah thats true, i wish they'd get a move on with that :D
Basic wireless should be free (kinda like basic 56K) :D

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
wait wait wait...how tell me how?
Realistically it's more of a proof of concept implementation but it can be done ... look through some of the older magazines (i cant remember which mag, i think it was either MaxPC or PowerPC or PowerUser or something like that, circa2001). You would just use the pirngles can as an antenna

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
must be nice
Yeah it is :D I rarely use it though but yeah from time to time ill make use of it ... nothing like driving around town and downlaoding in the middle of the street :p

nomav6

the college I go to has wireless but I dont live on campus anymore and Im even in a diff. city now, so I can't take advantage of it :(

pipit

What is " free wireless area"? who ussually support it? the goverment? or just special institution?

it sound great having it here :) Just a wish....

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
What is " free wireless area"? who ussually support it? the goverment? or just special institution?
Some company decided to give free wireless but so that we dont completely hijack the other thread *poof* :D

nomav6

I remember an episode on techtv forgot which show it was but probably screensavers where some guy out west(USA) had wireless net and went up on a hill and broadcasted it for the rest of the city and the ISP was ok with it, and then the city started talking about providing it themselves so hopefully more will follow, but it'll take a long time for it to hit kentucky.

nomav6

yea, I wouldn't try doing it myself but you can go and start talking to your govn. officials and start putting pressure on them to get wireless service.
Hint: I would do it when its close to election time hehe.