From today, feel free to download another 25 million songs - legally

Shane

Super Moderator
Staff member
no we have what we want!

they needed to legalise it anyway because they will never stop people illegaly downloading them.
nobody cares :D

thanks for link ovenmaster :)

brian

VIP Member
:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

I NEED TO START DOWNLOADING ALL OF THEM!!!

lol no but wow, my brother is going to flip when he finds out that he spent 200$ on songs :p

brian

VIP Member
sowait let me get this straght. i am allowed to ligaly download songs of my choseing on jan 28 2008 for one full day with out any charges put on me

Shane

Super Moderator
Staff member
sowait let me get this straght. i am allowed to ligaly download songs of my choseing on jan 28 2008 for one full day with out any charges put on me

wtf is it only for one day? hvnt read through the link yet:p

brian

VIP Member
wait so before i do anything, i want to know exactly why. i mean this is too weard, i mean is there a catch

OvenMaster

VIP Member
No, I think BluePlum may be saying that the downloading of music finally got the message across to the music "industry" that music lovers are sick of having to pay for garbage; that downloads are how many people want to get their music, and frankly, they recognize that people don't want to pay. So they'll get sponsors to pay.

From what I see, it's not for just one day. It's for always. The software beta button isn't working; as soon as it is, I'll be downloading and trying it.

There is DRM... but it is only to see how many times a song is downloaded and how many times it's played. Ford, McDonald's and Micro$oft are among the sponsors of the site.

Here is the URL: http://www.qtrax.com

Tom

Last edited:

g4m3rof1337

So, I can download Qtrax, at Midnight of tonight *January 28th*.

I saw Qtrax a few days ago, and was annoyed cause I couldn't find the download button on the download page, and it didn't say when it would be released.

Victor_ffx

Cor :D I always felt guilty about downloading music. I usually by the albums but some artists produce only one song I like xDD.

BluePlum

banned
yer ovenmaster thats exactly wat i meant. So does that mean its not illigal to use Programs like Limewire which i dont... rly i dont! ZOMG I DONT!

GameMaster

The page is so slownly openning for me...dunno...
this is nice move! I think that legalising this will make it better...

OvenMaster

VIP Member
yer ovenmaster thats exactly wat i meant. So does that mean its not illigal to use Programs like Limewire which i dont... rly i dont! ZOMG I DONT!

It's illegal to use LimeWire to download copyrighted material.

Here's the reason for the delay on Qtrax's download: http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/GadgetGuide/wireStory?id=4196546

"A revamped online file-sharing service that promised to offer unlimited, free music downloads from all the major record labels hit an apparent snag Sunday after one denied it had given the service permission.

Qtrax touted in a press release Sunday morning that it was the first Internet file-swapping service to be "fully embraced by the music industry," and boasted it would carry up to 30 million tracks from "all the major labels."

Universal Music Group and EMI Group PLC later confirmed they did not have licensing deals in place with Qtrax, noting discussions were still ongoing. A call to Sony BMG Music Entertainment was not immediately returned."

So it seems they're jumping the gun. Tsk. Hardly a surprise. And I did turn up this little fly in the ointment:

"Downloads however come with copy-protection technology known as digital-rights management, or DRM, to prevent users from burning copies to a CD and calculate how to divvy up advertising sales with labels."

Well, that sure puts a wet blanket over things. :mad:

memory

How do you download Qtrax? I made it to the download page but there is nothing to click. When will it be available to download? Will it be possible to put the music on mp3 players like iriver?

g4m3rof1337

The music format should be in .mp3, which should be supported by your iriver.

And lets make sure we don't turn this thread in to an illegal music downloading thread.