From today, feel free to download another 25 million songs - legally

memory

How could we turn this thread into a illegal music downloading thread? What the company is offering is legal, right?

It's illegal to use LimeWire to download copyrighted material.

Here's the reason for the delay on Qtrax's download: http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/GadgetGuide/wireStory?id=4196546

"A revamped online file-sharing service that promised to offer unlimited, free music downloads from all the major record labels hit an apparent snag Sunday after one denied it had given the service permission.

Qtrax touted in a press release Sunday morning that it was the first Internet file-swapping service to be "fully embraced by the music industry," and boasted it would carry up to 30 million tracks from "all the major labels."

Universal Music Group and EMI Group PLC later confirmed they did not have licensing deals in place with Qtrax, noting discussions were still ongoing. A call to Sony BMG Music Entertainment was not immediately returned."

So it seems they're jumping the gun. Tsk. Hardly a surprise. And I did turn up this little fly in the ointment:

"Downloads however come with copy-protection technology known as digital-rights management, or DRM, to prevent users from burning copies to a CD and calculate how to divvy up advertising sales with labels."

Well, that sure puts a wet blanket over things. :mad:

Prevent? Hahah... That's a laugh...

Their software looks to be crap... And there website isn't that well made, I clicked on the Daft Punk link on the homepage and it took some crap with the foo fighters :rolleyes:

Joe2005

Wait a few more days and some hackers will figure out how to remove the DRM from the mp3's, unitl then I'm not messing with it.

Verve

it is now up for download... I just got it

aaaannnnddddd...... the downloads aren't working. Heh, too good to be true.

Last edited:

hermeslyre

VIP Member
You can't. Qtrax hasn't come to an agreement with the recording labels, despite the fact they said they did. Vaporware.

bumblebee_tuna

I find it incredibly sad the music industry has come to this, not because of the outcome but of the cause; that so many people are downloading and sharing music with so much wanton that the music has practically given up caring about their loses and has resorted to different measures (I'd be careful about this, this reeks of some sort of Big Brother........).

More or less of patting myself on the back, I've always had a sort of code when it came to downloading music; I only download music when I can't obtain it by legal or practical means or if I want just an individual song. So, if I want Avenged Sevenfold's newest CD, I'll go to the store and buy a hard copy. If I want a Maximum the Hormone's What's up, people?, I'll go and download it off a site.

DirtyD86

banned
i think its funny that there are people out there that stand up for the RIAA anytime someone mentions pirating music... that is a corporation that only cares about its bottom line and would gladly slit your throat for a nickel. the artists will still be very well off regardless of album sales. and if they are in it for the money, they are in it for the wrong reasons IMO

I find it incredibly sad the music industry has come to this, not because of the outcome but of the cause; that so many people are downloading and sharing music with so much wanton that the music has practically given up caring about their loses and has resorted to different measures (I'd be careful about this, this reeks of some sort of Big Brother........).

More or less of patting myself on the back, I've always had a sort of code when it came to downloading music; I only download music when I can't obtain it by legal or practical means or if I want just an individual song. So, if I want Avenged Sevenfold's newest CD, I'll go to the store and buy a hard copy. If I want a Maximum the Hormone's What's up, people?, I'll go and download it off a site.

Yeah, well, try to obtain Daft Punk... Long ago and far away.

If you can't find it in stores, then you find it online on some slutty site that scares your credit card away(I don't trust some of these music sites).. So I just said "Screw'em" and went another route.

Last edited:

PabloTeK

Heh, it doesn't like UK Post Codes at all, despite it being available as an option when you sign up, seems a bit useless really.

Shane

Super Moderator
Staff member
how the hell you sighn up and the software doesnt even do anything :mad:i typed in Mika and found nothing :eek:

EDIT:No wonder it doesnt work they dissabled it for now

quoted from Wiki

Qtrax is an ad supported legal P2P music jukebox that enables the user to have free music downloads. It was announced at the 2008 Midem conference and has claimed to have made license agreements with the four major record labels: EMI, SonyBMG, Universal Music Group and Warner Music Group.[4][5] However, all four companies have stated that no deals have been made.[6] For this reason, P2P functionality has been disabled

Last edited:

PabloTeK

Methinks the links to Skreemr and the iPod add-on are a bit iffy, I don't like the look of this client, there seems to be more to it than meets the eye.

jimmymac

VIP Member
This one is appearing to be a hoax you know

The big 4 music labels have all denied making deals with qtrax. Sony BMG Music Entertainment and Warner had publicly denied that they had agreed to back the new Qtrax service. Universal Music, the largest of the group, said it also had not signed a deal for the new Qtrax service and is still in discussions. EMI Group said that while its song publishing unit has an agreement with Qtrax, its recorded music arm, EMI Music, does not. EMI Music, Sony BMG and Warner all previously had agreements with Qtrax, which was testing a paid music download service. Sources say those agreements expired in the last year and did not cover the new free, ad-supported model now being promoted by Qtrax.

Many angles believing this might be an elaborate share price hoax, the share price has risen quite well following the interest in it from the pre launch.