Frustrated with humility

Trix

Why is it so hard for a PC illiterate person to find a simple answer for a question? All I want to know is how I make surfing and jumping page to page efficient. I'm not interested in the mechanics of how and why, but what I need to do to make it happen.

Punk

Staff member
Well it is also furstrating not understanding what exactly you are asking... :)

What do you want achieve, what is efficient for you?

Trix

Efficient as in a quick load time for a program. I realize there are many factors that will affect response and lag times. But when I google for an answer, I'm lost with latency time vs. others of such, of which I am ignorant. Surely there must be a simple answer.

Last edited:

jamesd1981

It is usually because most experienced pc users like the sound of there own voice and love to give the long complicated answer thinking it impresses people.

A really knowledgeable pc user will try and give the simplest solution they can and does not feel the need to impress anyone else.

You seem to be looking for quick load times for your programs, now is that installing them into the machine or opening them once they are installed.

The first solution if you do not already have one is getting a solid state drive.

As far as the web browsing goes that can be determined by your internet speed which you can test at http://www.speedtest.net/ , it can also vary depending which browser you use, google chrome & internet explorer are probably the 2 fastest.

Last edited:

Trix

Thanks James, I think you answered my question. I'm talking about browsing and the speed of which sites load once online. So, basically that is defined, or limited to what is offered by my internet provider and the browser I use.
Plus the site's ability to provide?

What is recommended to facilitate their best offering?

Last edited:

jamesd1981

Exactly, did you run the speed test ? what speeds are you getting ?

chrome is probably the fastest browser followed by internet explorer, browser plug-ins and add ons like toolbars etc will slow your browsing speed down.

Also as you mentioned speed can be dictated by the site, you will always find bigger more established sites will usually be faster, although that can also be affected by the number of people using the site, for instance hugely popular sites like facebook can lag at peak times simply due to the number of people using it.

Trix

Upload is 32.50 Mbps, download is 2.23 Mbps. I use IE 11 and Windows 7 with Suddenlink cable. That's pretty slow download isn't it?
I don't add toolbars but I get confused about the plug-ins that I need.
I guess I shouldn't whine - without taking the time to really educate myself (which would solve my problem), but it all seems so confusing. That's why I appreciate your answer that basically nailed it.
Also, I think my hard drive is about to bite the dust. Sometimes programs fail to load and IE has stopped working.
I restored to original offering and updated and that helped, but things just aren't right.
A drive replacement, or is it time to think about a new computer?

As an aside, and in my defense, I could never understand how my father never knew how to operate a VCR.

Last edited:

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
I would imagine also that you could have your pc riddled with malware especially if you are using IE. Run the following and see if it runs any better.

Please download AdwCleaner by Xplode onto your Desktop.

•Please close all open programs and internet browsers.
•Double click on adwcleaner.exe to run the tool.
•Click on Scan.
•After the scan you will need to click on clean for it to delete the adware.
•Your computer will be rebooted automatically. A text file will open after the restart.
•Please post the content of that logfile in your reply.
•You can find the logfile at C:\AdwCleaner[Sn].txt as well - n is the order number.

Please download Junkware Removal Tool to your desktop.

•Shutdown your antivirus to avoid any conflicts.
•Very important that you run the tool in this manner:
Right-mouse click JRT.exe and select Run as administrator
Do NOT just double-click it.
•The tool will open and start scanning your system.
•Please be patient as this can take a while to complete.
•On completion, a log (JRT.txt) is saved to your desktop and will automatically open.
•Post the contents of JRT.txt in your next message.

Please download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and save it to your desktop.
  • Double-click mbam-setup.exe and follow the prompts to install the program.
  • At the end, be sure a checkmark is placed next to
    • Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
    • and Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  • then click Finish.
  • If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version. Please keep updating until it says you have the latest version.
  • Once the program has loaded, select Perform quick scan, then click Scan.
  • When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.
  • Be sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
  • A log will be saved automatically which you can access by clicking on the Logs tab within Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware

If for some reason Malwarebytes will not install or run please download and run Rkill.scr, Rkill.exe, or Rkill.com. If you are still having issues running rkill then try downloading these renamed versions of the same program.

EXPLORER.EXE
IEXPLORE.EXE
USERINIT.EXE
WINLOGON.EXE

But DO NOT reboot the system and then try installing or running Malwarebytes. If Rkill (which is a black box) appears and then disappears right away or you get a message saying rkill is infected, keep trying to run rkill until it over powers the infection and temporarily kills it. Once a log appears on the screen, you can try running malwarebytes or downloading other programs.

Please post the log that Malwarebytes displays on your screen.

Darren

Staff member
Are you sure you got those download and upload speeds right? In almost all cases download speed is higher. If it is indeed the 2 or so you mentioned then you've most likely got a problem.

And yeah also sounds like you've got viruses or some other issue.

For fastest internet browsing you want a decent connection, a good browser like Chrome with as few extensions and addons as possible, and a well functioning computer that doesn't have unnecessary junk or viruses slowing it down.

Trix

OK. I've been using Malwarebites and Spywareblaster forever.
And as I said, I recovered to original. Would this not eliminate any virus or malware?
I ran disk check and all of the included help tools. Still, I get the occasional IE has stopped working.

Sorry, download is 32 and upload is just over 2.

Given all of this, is a new hard drive in order? I'm thinking mine is about to fail. Will a failing drive affect IE to operate properly? How could that be?

Last edited:

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Download and run the first 2 programs and post the logs so we can see if there is anything going on. If the hard drive was going out, it would affect more than just IE.

Run Adware cleaner and junkware removal tool.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
No but it will tell us if you some bad browser add-ons causing issue with Internet explorer. What brand of hard drive do you have?

Trix

Thanks James, I think you answered my question. I'm talking about browsing and the speed of which sites load once online. So, basically that is defined, or limited to what is offered by my internet provider and the browser I use.
Plus the site's ability to provide?

What is recommended to facilitate their best offering?

Again, what is recommended?

Hang tight, John. Believe me, I appreciate your help.
I was hesitant in posting the log...it seems there was personal info included that I didn't want to make public.

Can't find the drive's brand but this is the system: HP p6-2133w.

I've downloaded AMD driver updates and so far all is good. I don't know if AMD is required or good, or anything for that matter.

A person that can make computers user-friendly for the average person will be a billionaire in a heart beat. I would be all over it if I had the wherewithal!

I guess it's all relative, isn't it?
Grandma wants her car to run the quarter in less than 11 seconds. So she hires a team to make it happen. Shouldn't that hired team provide granny that car without worry? But when the performance of that car begins to lapse, she is required to provide input? She has already provided and is not interested in offering input for which she has paid.
So goes the fluid stream of money!

Well it is also furstrating not understanding what exactly you are asking... :)

What do you want achieve, what is efficient for you?

Efficient as in its definition.

Last edited by a moderator:

Punk

Staff member
Again, what is recommended?

Computers nowadays are good enough to make the website's hosting plan or your ISP what's slowing you down.

What you need for the fastest download of websites is the fastest ISP.

Trix

I tried Chrome several months ago and it made the problems I seem to be experiencing now Crashing when I opened websites. However, I did a recovery with updates and all seems to be good for now. Now, maybe I'll try Chrome again. Everyone seems to prefer this over IE 11. Or is it the same?

Again, why is it so difficult?

Last edited by a moderator:

Geoff

VIP Member
It's difficult because people these days only want a fish, and not taught how to fish.

What John was getting at, is he believes your computer could have malware, viruses, etc. installed which are slowing down performance. Another theory is that when you install many free third party programs, they include browser add-ons and search assistants, which when installed greatly reduce the performance of internet browsing.

Your speeds of 33Mbps down and 3Mbps up are good speeds, so that's not likely the issue. If Chrome is crashing when opening, something is clearly wrong with your computer.

We can't give you a simple answer, because there is no simple answer. Computers are complex, if you have slow web performance, there is not only one or two reasons why, there are hundreds of possibilities as to why that is occurring, and we are trying to narrow them down.

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
It's difficult because people these days only want a fish, and not taught how to fish.

What John was getting at, is he believes your computer could have malware, viruses, etc. installed which are slowing down performance. Another theory is that when you install many free third party programs, they include browser add-ons and search assistants, which when installed greatly reduce the performance of internet browsing.

Your speeds of 33Mbps down and 3Mbps up are good speeds, so that's not likely the issue. If Chrome is crashing when opening, something is clearly wrong with your computer.

We can't give you a simple answer, because there is no simple answer. Computers are complex, if you have slow web performance, there is not only one or two reasons why, there are hundreds of possibilities as to why that is occurring, and we are trying to narrow them down.

OMG thank you. You always manage to explain things like this the best.

Darren

Staff member

This is exactly right.

To use a car analogy, you can't just take a car to a shop and say to the mechanic "Tell me how to make it run better.". That doesn't work. There are so many things at play like condition of your suspension, the engine, the tires, the brakes, the steering, the list goes on. You can't expect a one simple all explanation to what is most likely a much more complex problem.

Again, it sounds like you've got a much bigger problem at play here than you probably realize. Do what John suggested and post the logs. He's an old pro at this and will be able to lead you to the promised land of a well functioning machine. Chrome is a fine browser, and honestly IE isn't that bad anymore either.

Your internet speeds are more than adequate, you've got a problem with your machine, most likely malware.