Frustrated with humility

Trix

Speaking of frustrating, I am sure it must be for you guys in trying to help someone like myself.
I appreciate the advice and direction.
Once again I did a complete restore, or recovery, and so far it's running beautifully. I'll watch what I add and take note of the performance.
And I will also take the time to educate myself to keep from frustrating you all!
Again, thanks.

Trix

OK...My hard drive is failing. While I am still able to hobble along, how do I replace the internal drive with a new one? It is a single bay case. Is it as simple as transferring the original data to an external, replace the failing drive with a new one, and then reinstalling the original data to the newly replaced drive? Windows 7 - what else is needed to accomplish? If the cost is approaching that of a new buy, should I even bother?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
If the drive is failing, you really don't want to clone it. The only safe things to backup would be your personal data. All programs would have to be reinstalled on the new drive.

Trix

I don't store anything of importance on my PC. All I want is a convenient and efficient go to source for whatever. Is replacing the drive with a new OS (and any other expense involved) more cost-efficient? Or in my case, should I just buy a new PC?

I could replace the drive and clone the original. If there is corruption, I could then clean the new drive and install a new OS. Or once corrupted, will it always be? The drive, that is.

If the drive is failing, you really don't want to clone it. The only safe things to backup would be your personal data. All programs would have to be reinstalled on the new drive.

Thing is I don't know which programs are required to enable a working computer. Are programs required to run a PC? Can't I just replace a drive that is going down?

Last edited by a moderator:

Trix

Let me start over.
I need to replace a failing internal hard drive. What is the procedure for doing this? Windows 7 with a single bay available.

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member

Agent Smith

Google how to install a hard drive.

If you already have a Windows 7 disk you don't need to download it. Just use the key you have in either case.

Trix

Google how to install a hard drive.

If you already have a Windows 7 disk you don't need to download it. Just use the key you have in either case.

I don't have a Windows 7 disk. What I have is a failing hard drive. I know how to physically replace the drive. What I don't know is how to transfer the data from the failing disk to the new one. I would think it should be a simple transfer...obviously, it is not.

Agent Smith

You can clone, but it isn't recommended since you may have corrupted files. I would get an external USB stick or external USB hard drive and copy all important documents/pictures/videos etc minus applications. but if you want to clone check out AOMEI Backupper which is free and use the whole drive clone option. You will need to plug the new hard drive into a USB to SATA adapter and point to that drive as the destination drive to where the clone should reside. Or just connect the new drive to a SATA cable in the computer and point the clone to that.

How old is this drive? How did you come to the conclusion it is failing? Have you run HDD testing tools on it?

Last edited:

Trix

Smith, I appreciate your reply. Please bear with me here. I have read that I shouldn't clone, and I understand that. The only thing I need is what is required to run my computer, I guess with an OS. Windows 7 was included originally. There is nothing I need to save - just what is necessary to keep. What are applications?

Last edited:

Trix

You can clone, but it isn't recommended since you may have corrupted files. I would get an external USB stick or external USB hard drive and copy all important documents/pictures/videos etc minus applications. but if you want to clone check out AOMEI Backupper which is free and use the whole drive clone option. You will need to plug the new hard drive into a USB to SATA adapter and point to that drive as the destination drive to where the clone should reside. Or just connect the new drive to a SATA cable in the computer and point the clone to that.

How old is this drive? How did you come to the conclusion it is failing? Have you run HDD testing tools on it?

What I want to do is replace my internal drive with a new replacement.
I have to boot with F1 and receive a hard drive problem message.
My computer is probably three years old.

All I want to do is replace the drive and continue on!

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
If you can still boot into windows then backup your personal data to an external drive/cd or dvd/USB flashdrive. Install the new drive. Use the windows 7 iso that voyagerfan linked you to. Burn iso file to a DVD and install windows fresh on the new drive. Use the key located on the side of the case to activate the install. If there is no sticker with the key then you can pull the key from the registry by using a few different programs before you remove the old drive.

Trix

If you can still boot into windows then backup your personal data to an external drive/cd or dvd/USB flashdrive. Install the new drive. Use the windows 7 iso that voyagerfan linked you to. Burn iso file to a DVD and install windows fresh on the new drive. Use the key located on the side of the case to activate the install. If there is no sticker with the key then you can pull the key from the registry by using a few different programs before you remove the old drive.

Will any DVD work as long as there is enough capacity? I guess I need to learn how to burn one before I lose my source for information. I'm not familiar with the key to which you refer, or the case on which it is located...not to mention a sticker!

OK! The product key on the side of the computer case?

Last edited: