FSB compatiblility

SlothX311

seldroc said:
will a processor with a 400mhz FSB run on a motherboard that only supports up to 333mhz?

not if the CPU that you plan one using, is built with a core that your board does not support (amd doesnt usually have this problem with core support so you should be sweet)

im guessing that this is an AMD 32-bit processor, so if you have 3200+ and you plan on sticking it in a board that only runs at 333, your board will just not step up your FSB as much as if you were to stick it in a board that supported a 400 FSB

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
will a processor with a 400mhz FSB run on a motherboard that only supports up to 333mhz?
Just like Cromewell said but also do realize older AthlonXP mobos are 1:1 locked for the CPU/DRAM so your memory might be downclocked as well :)

seldroc

alright, i tried it and it's not working, it won't even post. i've taken everything out but the processor and still nothing, tried a different power supply too, all's it does is the fans spin for about a second and then it stops. after that i have to unplug then replug the power to get it to do it again. i know i have power to the board, the ethernet light stays on the whole time... are you sure a 400 fsb cpu works with a 300 fsb supported on the mobo? It's an AMD 2900+ with cheap chaintech mobo, both brand new.

seldroc

ok, it says here in the mobo manual:

Chiptset
- VIA KM266 (7VIF3)/VIA KM400 (7VIF4) + VT8235

also, i set the EXT. Clock to 166mhz... i think thats right

seldroc

ok, so it should work, but it's not... anything you can think of with the "symtoms" it has that i could try to see if i can get it to post?

tweaker

VIP Member
I'm not an expert, theres plenty of people around with greater knowledge than me, so just wait and I'm sure someone else will post if they come to think of something.

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
thats a generic manual, have you been able to boot the computer up? You could find out which chipset it is in windows.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
What 2900+ has 400fsb? Is it a barton?
If im not mistekn the 2900 and 3100 (sometimes noted with the word 'pro') are OEM/questionable chips) ... questionable because often they are pre-OCd and stuff. Grab the Central Brain Identifier from http://cbid.amdclub.ru/ and post a screenshot of the Processor tab :)

also, I set the EXT. Clock to 166mhz... I think thats right
Now unless you've OCd it the "FSB" is 333Mhz

That's two different chipsets but anyhow it should work.
Thats cuz the manual encompases all those mobos (hehe)

tweaker

VIP Member
Praetor said:
Grab the Central Brain Identifier from http://cbid.amdclub.ru/ and post a screenshot of the Processor tab

Sure you want me to do that?
astrosmiley.gif

tweaker

VIP Member
Praetor said:
of course you're welcome to do so if you want

I dunno about central brain but heres what i use to browse the forum during daytime.

Soyo with 430TX chipset, this here baby kicked some serious ass back in her days.

Fast enough for ya..?
xxrotflmao.gif

seldroc

Praetor said:
If im not mistekn the 2900 and 3100 (sometimes noted with the word 'pro') are OEM/questionable chips) ... questionable because often they are pre-OCd and stuff. Grab the Central Brain Identifier from http://cbid.amdclub.ru/ and post a screenshot of the Processor tab :)
I can't get the machine to turn on, so how might i run that?
Now unless you've OCd it the "FSB" is 333Mhz
I didn't OC it, i bought it from tigerdirect and put it in the board.