Gaming computer build

Hey everyone. I want to build a gaming computer. I've never done anything even remotely like this. So I have a bunch of questions/concerns going into it. I've watched some videos and the process itself looks pretty simple, I just don't really know what to pick out. What's good, what's bad, what works with what, where to spend money, where not to, things like that.

Basically what I'm looking for is information, ideas, what you guys would do. Personal feedback that I don't get from videos and stuff I've been reading. I play all sorts of different games, I want the computer to be powerful and as up to date as I can get it within my $2,000 budget. I'm not firm on the $2,000, so if it's worth it to spend a little more to get a lot more I'm all for it.

So what are your suggestions as far as parts? Any tips that will save a first timer a lot of headaches as far as the build goes? Any advice will help, I'm a carpenter and I'm stepping way outside of my world on this, but it seems like a fun and satisfying project. Thanks for taking the time to read this, any help would be greatly appreciated. I'd also love it if maybe someone knowledgeable would be willing to step up and kind of mentor me thru this project.

Intel_man

VIP Member
Is the 2k budget only for the computer tower? Or does that include other peripherals?

Are you in the US? (this is so people here know where to link the parts to buy as prices differ from country to country)

Is the 2k budget only for the computer tower? Or does that include other peripherals?

Are you in the US? (this is so people here know where to link the parts to buy as prices differ from country to country)

Yeah all for the tower, unless a good monitor and keyboard is crazy expensive, I haven really looked into those yet. I'm in Washington's state in the US.

Deadpool

1-

CPU: Intel Core i5-7600K 3.8GHz Quad-Core Processor ($238.75 @ OutletPC)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($27.88 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: MSI Z270 SLI ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($139.99 @ B&H)
Memory: Patriot Viper 4 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2800 Memory ($99.98 @ Jet)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($97.88 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Hitachi Ultrastar 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($39.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: *Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Mini ITX OC Video Card ($369.99 @ Amazon)
Case: *Raidmax Narwhal ATX Full Tower Case ($76.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($78.89 @ OutletPC)
Total: $1170.33

2-

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700K 4.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($343.33 @ OutletPC)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($27.88 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Samsung 960 Evo 250GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($129.99 @ B&H)
Storage: Hitachi Ultrastar 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($39.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: *EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Superclocked Gaming ACX 3.0 Video Card ($559.89 @ B&H)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($78.89 @ OutletPC)
Total: $1496.92

There is a little bit of room in both depending on the peripherals you need.

The cooler, motherboard and Case are parametric choices, you should do some research and buy the one you like the most.

Wow thanks. So I get what you mean about picking a case I like, but the cooler and motherboard too? Are you talking style difference or performance? Also, are the motherboards pretty universal? Meaning will any motherboard work with that part list?

Deadpool

Motherboards do have differences. A few here:

-Scoket (Where you put the CPU, I chose the 1151 from Intel here since it´s the best right now)

-Chipset (Some allow overclocking, some don´t. Intel´s 1151 socket only has the Z170 and Z270 ones)

-SLI/Crossfire support

-RAM support (It´s almost the same on all models, so it´s almost never an important factor)

-BIOS

-Overclock potential (This could perhaps be infered from the specs, but it´s always best to look for reviews online and such)

About the cooler, it all depends on the money you want to spend on it. You could get an expensive AIO, an expensive HSF, or a cheap and good HSF as I selected for both builds.

I should also mention since you seem like a damn noob :)p), that Intel has a system to determine which CPUs can be overclocked, and it consists on adding a K after the model, and those do not come with coolers.

Example:

I5- 6600 : Can´t overclock, comes with cooler (usually shitty but enough, since you can´t OC)

I5- 6600K: Can overclock but doesnt´ come with a cooler, and CPUs do not work without one (luckily, or it would melt everything around it)

Deadpool

So $400 for assembly and a warranty basically. Do you think that one in the link would run 4k alright?

No, it´s exactly the same as my first $1500 build, only with some extras that add up to the price. Will run most, except for newer games at Ultra (By this I mean Ashes of singularity for example).

Warranty comes with each component so don´t mind that. If you motherboard malfunctions, you return it. Even better for you that live in Washington. Try to RMA a motherboard from Argentina!

Deadpool

Are you talking style difference or performance?

Also, are the motherboards pretty universal? Meaning will any motherboard work with that part list?

Two things I just read.

For the first question, the motherboard has no impact on performance. Mostly the differences between motherboards that do not overclock are just "nice to haves". The biggest and most important "nice to have", if you are planning on using it, is Crossfire/SLI support (http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/guides/introduction-to-sli-technology-guide#2 , and Crossfire is just AMD´s SLI). Overclocking boards are different. You have to pay attention to some other crap not easily found in the specs.

For the second, Motherboards are not universal. There are sockets (or "shapes of the little thingy where you place the CPU", if you want to simplify it a bit). If your socket on the motherboard is Intel 1151, and you bought an Intel 1150 CPU, you are f***ed. There is some retro compatibility (like AM3+ CPUs fitting AM3 socket, but that´s the general idea).

mistersprinkles

Building a computer is not difficult. All you need is a screwdriver and an IQ higher than that of a pigeon and you're good to go.

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700K 4.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($343.33 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Samsung 960 Evo 250GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($129.99 @ B&H)
Video Card: *EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Superclocked Gaming ACX 3.0 Video Card ($559.89 @ B&H)
Total: $1496.92

^Build that. I don't like the case though. Maybe go with a Corsair 600C or a Corsair 760T or something nicer looking like that.

All you need is a number two phillips screwdriver and a table. Don't build in a carpeted room. The rest is pretty simple. Just watch some videos and follow along.

Deadpool

Yeah the case is a parametric choice from pcpartpicker. I have that one though and it´s good. All I can say is that the window is useless. It has good room for AIOs and HSFs.

I've watched a few videos, the build itself seems pretty simple. I think the part of find overwhelming is terminology, components that work together, things like that. Like anything else, the best way to figure that all out is to emerse yourself in it. I'll do a lot of reading and watching videos and it'll all click for me. I can build a house so I should be able to figure this out. The hardest part will be staying patient.

Thanks again for the parts lists, makes life way easier on me.

Last edited by a moderator: