Gaming megahouse $2500 budget build

Gary1

Yes using that monitor I would consider Crossfire or SLI with top of the line GPU. I would not even consider blowing $1000 on 2 GPU and buy monitors worthy of a Flea Market stand.
Money should be spread evenly on a system build.

Briilee

Running Crossfire is really an overkill, especially with such these cards.
Also, the CPU is really weak compared to the rest of the build. You would be much better of with an I7-2600K or the brand new 39xx series

The Crucial SSD's are a bit old and therefore not as fast as newer models.
If you really want to spend all your money on a pc you should set a RAID up with a couple of these:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233205

Gary1

Your building all this and putting that CPU in your build????? The FX Cpu's are not good enough. Most of your components are close to top of the line. The rest are crap. You should think about that 2600K. I mean your about to drop $1159.98 on two GPU's and then buy a $159.99 CPU????
AMD Has GPU included on CPU just like Intel but AMD is better,
AMD has crapier " Hyper-Threading Technology " but they have it. (NOT TO CONFUSE FSB AND Hyper threading)
HOWEVER AMD Gpu is not included on the FX they could not put all on one like INTEL i7 2600k. Their 6 core is really 3 core But if it was better than Intel why only $160?

teddyzaper

What game are you going to play anyway? Graphic demanding Processor Hungry FPS games?

I want to be able to play any game because i do change games a lot. I tend to play MMOs like WoW or SWTOR but i want the option of playing BF3 or CoD

From what you guys are saying, i should change the motherboard and CPU. I will look more into it and change them when i find something i like.

Also, what is RAID? someone posted about it (sorry i cant remember your username), but i have NO clue what it is or how i would go about setting it up....

claptonman

Ok, here's a couple of things.

You really can't go overkill on the GPUs. That's what games rely on most. They will last a long, long time. If you want two, go for it.

Get the i5 2500k. i7s are worthless for gaming, the extra threads will not increase your FPS at all.

SuperDuperMe

I agree that you cant really ever have enough gpu power. If you have the money go for the best now. Generally for gaming cpu's arent that much of a hindrance when maxing games out. Im still rocking an e6600 and not having too many problems :p

I would stick with the 2 7970's Theyre new out, uber powerful and with 2 they will last quite a while.

Gary1

RAID

I didn't read it but should get you started on it. There are a lot of differant settings You might be interested in the faster set up.

Briilee said SLI was overkill, Its true, but IF you want it go for it. He was also correct in suggesting 39xx. The 3960 is $1049 but can run SLI/Crossfire at x16/x16/x8. I suggest listening to MTB and Mike and going a step further and ditching one of those cards to save some cash. You can still use all those games with a 6950. But I would keep 1 of the GPU's you chose. And upgrade your Monitor. The one you chose has standard resolution, and if that is what you want get a standard GPU. Buy standard I mean you do not want to go ANY lower. The quality of the picture would be nicer with better quality monitors. The cheaper ones have less control over settings.

MOBO

It should be compatible with Ivy Bridge.

Last edited:

jonnyp11

Like others have said, GO INTEL!!!!!!! Look at this comparison of the 2500k against the more expensive FX-8150

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/288?vs=434

Also i would spend the money and go ahead and get dual 7970's if you can, you might not need it but this way you can easily max a game completely with high resolution and texture packs with DX11 at 1080p with full everything at 100+fps now and probably 70-80+ next year, and still be great for the years after.

As far as the monitor, Gary, anything over 1080p cost wayyyy too much more than it's worth. the cheapest monitor on newegg with over 1080p resolution is over 800 dollars for a single monitor, that's over 5 times the price of one of those. and those are perfectly fine monitors, spending a little more on an ASUS would be fine, but it's not going to be a huge difference, the picture will be the same, the ASUS should just have better color depth and contrast and all, if he where doing professional photography/videography or similar, then spending more would be recomended, but for gaming he doesn't need a super pricey monitor

almost forgot, get this power supply

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151110

even though, as i said before, you don't need anywhere near this much power for that rig man, an 800w power supply could do it fine, p00 would be a ton of headroom, 1000w+ is pure overkill, but for the price this one kills the one you picked, 7 more amps means 84 more watts than the other, and it's gold rated for efficiency, and with the 15% off it's cheaper

Last edited:

Spesh

The monitor you selected is 27" but only 1920x1080, which will mean it has a fairly poor dot pitch and will not give you anymore desktop space than a 22" monitor. If buying a 27", you should look for monitors with a native res of 2560x1440. If these fall outside your budget then you should consider downsizing to 23/24". I would get pretty tired of looking at 1080p stretched across 27".

jonnyp11

you're forgetting the OS which is 100, and i'm tweaking it now, those monitors are good but 4 inches for a little under 2 times the price? Not sure if they're worth it.

teddyzaper

Oh jonny, i dont need an OS, i have over 30 uses on my windows 7 left >.> got them for $10 because my dads coworkers husband designed parts of windows 7 :D.

teddyzaper

Also, if someone could help me find a monitor that would be awsome, i want HDMI but i cant seem to find anything half decent above 20" and within $300 each.

Last edited: