Get ATI 5000 series or wait?

FeignFeign

i am very tempted to get one of the 5000 series right now. I would like to hear some opinions on the matter.

1. What is the best deal out of the 5000 series? A good balance between power and price. Or will the entire 5000 series breeze through all of the current gen games and probably would for a good while.

2. Do you think i should wait before investing in a new graphic card? Wait till some other companies put out there own, for instance like nvidia.

thanks mates

joh06937

nVidia new cards will be hella expensive, 5770 is the best deal I think, 4870ish performance wise

i would agree with this. i love my hd 5770. drivers can only go up from here as well. power consumption is great. if you are looking for great performance for a longer time then go with the hd 5870. it is approximately a crossfire of 2 hd 5770s.

lubo4444

I agree too. Good buy right now is 5850. 5770 are not bad but i'm not sure that they will handle all games maxed out. 5850,5870 and 5970 will play everything you throw at them maxed out. The new Nvidia cards will be expensive.

joh06937

I agree too. Good buy right now is 5850. 5770 are not bad but i'm not sure that they will handle all games maxed out. 5850,5870 and 5970 will play everything you throw at them maxed out. The new Nvidia cards will be expensive.

they do not handle everything maxed out. games like tom clancy's hawx and dirt 2 can be maxed out. as long as the aa isn't set as the maximum and is only like 2 or possibly 4 you should be good to go with other games (current ones at least).

lubo4444

they do not handle everything maxed out. games like tom clancy's hawx and dirt 2 can be maxed out. as long as the aa isn't set as the maximum and is only like 2 or possibly 4 you should be good to go with other games (current ones at least).

I wasnt sure before but now i'm sure. Thanks for clearing that out.

kyleswitch

The higher end 5*** series will blow through this gen and next gen games, I'm sure. I put a lot of research into a few months ago before I bought my 5850 this past couple weeks.

the 5870 is a little too expensive, instead get the asus 5850 for $300. It has a voltage tweak that asus unlocks on it so you can overclock it past a 5870 overclock, for the most part. I have put mine at 1000/1300 and it's fan at 70% keeping it still cool, playing games at 38C :D

It's a steal. Im getting a second 5850 and a new MoBo to crossfire soon so that I won't have to buy anything new for a couple years.

kyleswitch

I was waiting, but it's true, they are going to be ridiculously expensive.

Yea, I understand that the 5970 is $650, but its the only dual gpu with dx11 and its performance, on the market right now, so it can be that expensive.

Ihatethedukes

Right now the predicted launch of Fermi will be in March... best case scenario.

And that's only for their two highest end cards. It'll take months longer before they fill the lower end cards with fermi derivatives. If they ever do, I suspect a 2XX series rebranding scheme.

kyleswitch

Right now the predicted launch of Fermi will be in March... best case scenario.

And that's only for their two highest end cards. It'll take months longer before they fill the lower end cards with fermi derivatives. If they ever do, I suspect a 2XX series rebranding scheme.

Hopes it's march, they mentioned January before.

I might switch over just because I was originally for Nvidia, just because of the better drivers. I like ATI cards, but the drivers are to be desired.

linkin

VIP Member
FYI: the fermi cards will be the GTX 400 series. apparently the GTX 300 series will be a 200 series rebadge, with dx11 stuff.

I made the move and jumped on a 5770, and i don't regret it. it is about ~30% faster than a 4850.

newgunner

IMO the 5770 is the only "deal" in the 5xxx series. The 5850, 5870 just don't have much competition at the moment and the 5970 is in another world atm thus the stupidly high prices.

I suggest waiting for fermi to arrive and hoping prices and options look better in a few months. However if nvidia doesn't deliver anything new in march then the 5770 is a good deal if you don't plan on upgrading graphics again for a year or so. Though it goes without saying that if you have the budget for the 5870 or 5970 you won't regret getting them.

FeignFeign

I remember before the 5000 series came out, there was news of ATI creating super graphic cards; gfx cards with the capability to run Crysis on 10 different monitors and such. Were these news just blown up lies by some dude for shits and giggles, or was the news not about the 5000 series?

linkin

VIP Member
Well my system + a 5770 can max out crysis. 1280x1024 with 4xaa. i get ~30fps on average. But yes i guess the facts were distorted.

Paul17041993

all the 5000 series support ati stream so they can support up to 6 monitors in games (through 2 cards at least), so it is most likely that the next series will probably support 8-10 monitors and up
ATI's workstation graphics cards can support 4-6 monitors through 1 card and something like 9 and up through multiple cards, but they're only really designed to run 2d graphics and videos

having 2 5970s will make your computer capable of just about anything, fitted with a reasonable cpu it can run crysis maxed out and at the highest possible resolution without any speed issues (just as long as the the rest of the computer is fast enough to handle it)

Okedokey

The 5770 is great, however you need a new PSU (either way).

Whoever said that it maxes out, needs to qualify that at the resolution played. The OP may be playing on a 17" monitor, which will never max a 5770 overclocked.

Never seen it slow down yet, and btw, the colour looks different (read better) to nVidia cards (which i have ownd several on the same system).

Last edited: