Getting 4850 - anyone want a Sapphire 3870?

linkin

VIP Member
It's the weekend, and there is no shipping on the weekend in aus. not even on saturday, and this monday is a public holiday here so i might not get it until tuesday... even wednesday...

Fatback

VIP Member
It's the weekend, and there is no shipping on the weekend in aus. not even on saturday, and this monday is a public holiday here so i might not get it until tuesday... even wednesday...

Man that sucks no shipping on the weekends. Here there is no shipping on Sunday and on holidays.

bomberboysk

Man that sucks no shipping on the weekends. Here there is no shipping on Sunday and on holidays.
No sundays and holidays are postal...and they are considering dropping the postal service back to a 5 day delivery.

Fedex and UPS are "shipping" which dont deliver on weekends unless you pay pay a heck of alot for saturday delivery.

Fatback

VIP Member
No sundays and holidays are postal...and they are considering dropping the postal service back to a 5 day delivery.

Fedex and UPS are "shipping" which dont deliver on weekends unless you pay pay a heck of alot for saturday delivery.

Yep your right I wasn't thinking. Although I have received stuff on Saturdays plenty of times.

linkin

VIP Member
I am going insane... I'm at my dads right now and i have no computer to play games on up here. :(

Fatback

VIP Member
I am going insane... I'm at my dads right now and i have no computer to play games on up here. :(

lol I used to go crazy when I didn't have games to play but I don't play much anymore I guess I kinda grew out of it. My girlfriend just bought me NFS Shift for PC. I just got done installing it and will play it later on.

87dtna

Well actually they are pretty much identical in performance.

Lol true but in some aspects the 4850 is better ;)

gts250 is a way better overclocker. Stock clocks are 756/1100, I've overclocked to 830/1355 and over 2k shader. That makes the gts250 better. Memory bandwidth went from 70gb/s to 86gb/s. Memory bandwidth on a 4850 is only 63gb/s to begin with.
So, the memory bandwidth is lower, the pixels are 10 gp/s for the 4850 and 11.8 gp/s for the gts250, texture fillrate is 47 gt/s on the gts250 and 25 gt/s on the 4850. So how is it better? The only thing I see is the power consumption, which isn't real huge, and usually the price but my price of $90 shipped for my gts250 is pretty good IMO.

Last edited:

Aastii

VIP Member
gts250 is a way better overclocker. Stock clocks are 756/1100, I've overclocked to 830/1355 and over 2k shader. That makes the gts250 better. Memory bandwidth went from 70gb/s to 86gb/s. Memory bandwidth on a 4850 is only 63gb/s to begin with.
So, the memory bandwidth is lower, the pixels are 10 gp/s for the 4850 and 11.8 gp/s for the gts250, texture fillrate is 47 gt/s on the gts250 and 25 gt/s on the 4850. So how is it better? The only thing I see is the power consumption, which isn't real huge, and usually the price but my price of $90 shipped for my gts250 is pretty good IMO.

tech specs is one thing, real world performance is another, you look at benchmarks and stuff and they are near enough equal, atleast with negligable performance difference

87dtna

I cannot find any FPS tests for the 4850 against an EVGA gts250, which IMO is better than any other brand. They have pretty much the highest stock clocks, and are the most overclockable! I haven't seen anybody get close to my nearly 18k 3dmark06 score running a single 4850 with a Phenom II.

Closest comparison I've found so far, even being intel, was a core 2 duo [email protected] and an overclocked 4850 (800/1125, stock was 625/993 so thats a large overclock) scored 15,156 with a CPU score of 3581. Now, with my Phenom II 550 as a dual core at 3.8ghz, gts250 OC'd to 825/1350 (stock 756/1100), I score 15,5xx with a CPU score of around 3100. So, I have a lower CPU score with lower CPU clocks yet I score 400 points higher? Thats all simply GPU being better there.

Last edited: