Getting a new Gaming laptop

Alientus

Hi all... I wanted to get me a new gaming laptop that would last me three to four years. I'm going to use it for college too, but size and weight doesn't really matter as long as it is a laptop.

My Budget cannot surpass $3050 so but im looking for something as close to $3000 as possible.

I looked up some Alienwares, as I hear they are good, but I want some proffesional imput before I actually buy it, or if yall could suggest a whole other laptop that would be better.

This is what I customized from Alienware for $2999:
Its a Alienware M17 (Not M17X)
Video/Graphics Card: Dual 512MB ATI Mobility Radeon™ HD 3870 - CrossFireX™ Enabled
Processor: Intel® Core™2 Extreme X9100 3.06GHz (6MB Cache, 1066MHz FSB)
Design & Display: Black Skullcap Design
Chassis: 17-Inch WideUXGA 1920 x 1200 LCD (1200p) with Clearview Technology
Keyboard Options: Illuminated Keyboard – Alienware Exclusive Design - Fusion Red
Operating System (Office software not included): Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium (64-bit Edition) with Service Pack 1
Notebook Tuners and Remotes: Without Media Center Remote Control or TV Tuner
Memory: 4GB« Dual Channel DDR3 SO-DIMM at 1066MHz – 2 x 2048MB

System Drive: Extreme Performance (RAID 0) - 500GB (250GB x 2) 7,200RPM (8MB Cache) w/ Free Fall Protection
Optical Drives : 8x Dual Layer Burner (DVD±RW, CD-RW)
Wireless Network Card: Internal Intel® Ultimate N 5300 a/b/g/Draft-N Mini-Card with MIMO Technology
The World's First 450 Mbps Wi-Fi Adapter
Sound Card : Internal High-Definition Audio with Surround Sound

Please Help me out... I've got like 15 days to decide what I should get, cause I'm leaving in a month.

Hi all... I wanted to get me a new gaming laptop that would last me three to four years. I'm going to use it for college too, but size and weight doesn't really matter as long as it is a laptop.

My Budget cannot surpass $3050 so but im looking for something as close to $3000 as possible.

I looked up some Alienwares, as I hear they are good, but I want some proffesional imput before I actually buy it, or if yall could suggest a whole other laptop that would be better.

That's a good computer. Some people would call it overpriced, but you pay for the quality. It's like a gaming thinkpad.

bomberboysk

That's a good computer. Some people would call it overpriced, but you pay for the quality. It's like a gaming thinkpad.

For dual 3870's that actually is really overpriced... Some alternatives:

This is good:
http://www.ibuypower.com/ibp/store/configurator.aspx?mid=294

As is this, mobile 4870x2:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834220527

These are good notebooks also:
http://www.sagernotebook.com/product_customed.php?pid=171297

Also... why you customize the high priced option of Q9100 over Q9000? Its only a small clockspeed improvement and quite a bit more expensive...

IF you do go alienware, i would go for a M17x customized with Q9000, Dual GTX280M,1920*1200 display, 4gb dual channel ddr3 1333mhz, and 500gb 7200rpm hdd.

Alientus

This is good:

Also... why you customize the high priced option of Q9100 over Q9000? Its only a small clockspeed improvement and quite a bit more expensive...

IF you do go alienware, i would go for a M17x customized with Q9000, Dual GTX280M,1920*1200 display, 4gb dual channel ddr3 1333mhz, and 500gb 7200rpm hdd.

The M17x ships too late else i would have got it :(

This is good:

LOL? He didn't customize the Q9100, the X9100 3.06 GHZ DUAL CORE... Read before you post plox..

Also - FIRST LAPTOP = NO QUAD CORE SUPPORT, NO SLI/CROSSFIRE

Second link - Low Quad core model, the X9100 will preform better than an overclocked Q9000 in most cases. --ALSO, It has been confirmed that the M17 WILL support 4870's.

Third Link - 17" Notebook that supports only 1 graphics card? Wtf? Again, you failed at your attempted Alienware bash.

bomberboysk

LOL? He didn't customize the Q9100, the X9100 3.06 GHZ DUAL CORE... Read before you post plox..

Also - FIRST LAPTOP = NO QUAD CORE SUPPORT, NO SLI/CROSSFIRE

Second link - Low Quad core model, the X9100 will preform better than an overclocked Q9000 in most cases. --ALSO, It has been confirmed that the M17 WILL support 4870's.

Third Link - 17" Notebook that supports only 1 graphics card? Wtf? Again, you failed at your attempted Alienware bash.

First- misread it, still the "extreme" cpu's are a waste of money imo

Lets see here, since when did dual 3870's beat a gtx 280M?

Second- Quad is the future, when games fully utilize quads it will provide much more advantage than an X9100

Third- Again... One GPU is really all you need, single GTX280M would be better than dual 3870's...

Overall... id go with the asus i linked you to, best price->performance, mobile 4870x2 is the best gpu out there next to the GTX280M in sli.

Last edited:
First- misread it, still the "extreme" cpu's are a waste of money imo

Lets see here, since when did dual 3870's beat a gtx 280M?

Second- Quad is the future, when games fully utilize quads it will provide much more advantage than an X9100

Third- Again... One GPU is really all you need, single GTX280M would be better than dual 3870's...

M17 confirmed support for Dual 4870's. Even in your "future" when quads support for most games is better, what about the chipset, motherboard, and other aspects of the computer that will be outdated? I don't think you misread it, I think you're trying to be a jerk to new people here. A 2.0ghz quad better than a dual [email protected]? LOL?

You can get an M17X with dual 280's for $2400, what's all that crap about a Sager with just 1?

bomberboysk

M17 confirmed support for Dual 4870's. Even in your "future" when quads support for most games is better, what about the chipset, motherboard, and other aspects of the computer that will be outdated? I don't think you misread it, I think you're trying to be a jerk to new people here. A 2.0ghz quad better than a dual [email protected]? LOL?

You can get an M17X with dual 280's for $2400, what's all that crap about a Sager with just 1?

The OP even stated they cant get an M17X due to ship date, and incase you didnt know it, dual core at 3Ghz, 50% more clockspeed, 50% less cores than a 2Ghz quadcore. Learn about computers before posting... Plus where is the core i7 alienware... exactly. How does the chipset have anything to do with it, you can barely upgrade laptops to begin with... The OP is planning on buying the notebook soon as they need it before they leave. And since your sitting here with 20+ firefox tabs open and accidentally misread something, im trying to be a jerk? I try to help people on this forum, the last few weeks of your posts all ive seen is alot of alienware fanboyism.

Last edited:
The OP even stated they cant get an M17X/M17 due to ship date, and incase you didnt know it, dual core at 3Ghz, 50% more clockspeed, 50% less cores than a 2Ghz quadcore. Learn about computers before posting... Plus where is the core i7 alienware... exactly. How does the chipset have anything to do with it, you can barely upgrade laptops to begin with... The OP is planning on buying the notebook soon as they need it before they leave. And since your sitting here with 20+ firefox tabs open and accidentally misread something, im trying to be a jerk? I try to help people on this forum, the last few weeks of your posts all ive seen is alot of alienware fanboyism.

LOL. A 2.53GHZ Quad core in the M17x which supports bios overclocking can reach 2.8GHZ I think on there.. Better than a 2.66 Ghz I7.. @Bareley upgrade laptops? You can upgrade the CPU, the graphics card, the hard drive, the ram, the display, the optical drive on the M17/M17x. Only think I don't think you can is the mobo. @BTW, I don't use firefox, I use netscape. Learn about computers before you post plox.

@ship dates on the M17X are about a month and three days from when you order them, a few more days than the M17.. Big deal..

AND Who cares if a quad core has 50 percent more cores? Do they get utilized all evenly? Do most applications made today run for quad core optimized systems? Maybe a few games, but no.

Last edited:

bomberboysk

LOL. A 2.53GHZ Quad core in the M17x which supports bios overclocking can reach 2.8GHZ I think on there.. Better than a 2.66 Ghz I7.. @Bareley upgrade laptops? You can upgrade the CPU, the graphics card, the hard drive, the ram, the display, the optical drive on the M17/M17x. Only think I don't think you can is the mobo. @BTW, I don't use firefox, I use netscape. Learn about computers before you post plox.

@ship dates on the M17X are about a month and three days from when you order them, a few more days than the M17.. Big deal..

Read what the OP said, they said they arent getting one because of the ship date. And do you know ANYTHING about cpu's? The core i7 kicks the core 2 quads ass, 8 threads, 4 cores... And your not getting what im saying, for one, the core 2 series is end of life to begin with, what are you planning on upgrading a laptop to, a slighly higher clocked core 2 quad? Plus those mobile gpu upgrades arent even worth the money most of the time, way overpriced... Ive been around computers almost all my life, i build computers monthly at least for friends/family, i know plenty about computers. And i never said you used firefox, i said are you me,as i have nearly 20 tabs open in firefox and it can get misread pretty easily... This thread went from a question by the OP to you trying to start a flame war. Im sure you render video and do work in photoshop, as they utilize quad cores...

Read what the OP said, they said they arent getting one because of the ship date. And do you know ANYTHING about cpu's? The core i7 kicks the core 2 quads ass, 8 threads, 4 cores... And your not getting what im saying, for one, the core 2 series is end of life to begin with, what are you planning on upgrading a laptop to, a slighly higher clocked core 2 quad? Plus those mobile gpu upgrades arent even worth the money most of the time, way overpriced... Ive been around computers almost all my life, i build computers monthly at least for friends/family, i know plenty about computers. And i never said you used firefox, i said are you me,as i have nearly 20 tabs open in firefox and it can get misread pretty easily... This thread went from a question by the OP to you trying to start a flame war.

1. The M17x ships in about a month.
2. Then why are you suggesting getting a laptop with a better gpu?
3. You're now saying you DIDNT say I was using firefox? " And since your sitting here with 20+ firefox tabs open and accidentally misread something, im trying to be a jerk?" Read that, quoted from your post.
4. A laptop with dual GPU support and a high performance quad will pwn an i7 with a single gtx280.. 2x 4870's > 1x 280m GTX--Read some benchmarks plox.

Do you want some brownie points for building computers? You're the only one that's ever built a computer? Good for you.

Read what the OP said, they said they arent getting one because of the ship date. And do you know ANYTHING about cpu's? The core i7 kicks the core 2 quads ass, 8 threads, 4 cores... And your not getting what im saying, for one, the core 2 series is end of life to begin with, what are you planning on upgrading a laptop to, a slighly higher clocked core 2 quad? Plus those mobile gpu upgrades arent even worth the money most of the time, way overpriced... Ive been around computers almost all my life, i build computers monthly at least for friends/family, i know plenty about computers. And i never said you used firefox, i said are you me,as i have nearly 20 tabs open in firefox and it can get misread pretty easily... This thread went from a question by the OP to you trying to start a flame war. Im sure you render video and do work in photoshop, as they utilize quad cores...

Well i7 sure kicks core 2 quad's ass
and gtx 280 does that for crossfire 3870 and so does 6 gigs of ddr3 ram

+1 for everything you said(only the parts i understood)

and double GPUs will generate more of heat so its always preferable to have a single GPU in case of notebooks

Well i7 sure kicks core 2 quad's ass
and gtx 280 does that for crossfire 3870 and so does 6 gigs of ddr3 ram

+1 for everything you said(only the parts i understood)

and double GPUs will generate more of heat so its always preferable to have a single GPU in case of notebooks

1. The OP should consider the M17X because it would ship to him before his month..
2. M17X supports a single 260m gtx or sli 260's or sli 280's..
3. An quad @ 2.8ghz + 2x280m GTX's > 2.66ghz i7 with a single 280..
4. M17 supports dual 4870's, which also stomp on the single 280..
5. M17X supports sli, and has a built in 9400m for notebook use.. THAT = Single GPU+SLI
6. M17 is made of rubberized material, and the M17X is made of anondized aluminum, both good for college use in backpacks, or from being scuffed against things.

bomberboysk

1. The M17x ships in about a month.
2. Then why are you suggesting getting a laptop with a better gpu?
3. You're now saying you DIDNT say I was using firefox? " And since your sitting here with 20+ firefox tabs open and accidentally misread something, im trying to be a jerk?" Read that, quoted from your post.
4. A laptop with dual GPU support and a high performance quad will pwn an i7 with a single gtx280.. 2x 4870's > 1x 280m GTX--Read some benchmarks plox.

Wow, for you being the same age as me i would assume you understand english... Lets break this apart shall we?

And since your sitting here - Im asking if you are also sitting with 20 tabs open
with 20+ firefox tabs open and accidentally misread something, im trying to be a jerk? - I am asking if you have 20 tabs open, and if you would also misread something if you were highly multitasking between fixing two of your websites, fixing some router settings, and reading some articles in my other tabs.

plus, THE M17 STILL DOESNT HAVE DUAL 4870'S! The op is buying now, not paying $250 for the gpu's now, then in a month spending another $600-700 for a gpu upgrade.

Last edited:
1. The OP should consider the M17X because it would ship to him before his month..
2. M17X supports a single 260m gtx or sli 260's or sli 280's..
3. An quad @ 2.8ghz + 2x280m GTX's > 2.66ghz i7 with a single 280..
4. M17 supports dual 4870's, which also stomp on the single 280..
5. M17X supports sli, and has a built in 9400m for notebook use.. THAT = Single GPU+SLI

quad @ 2.8GHz < 2.66 Core i7