Getting a new Gaming laptop

bomberboysk

The NVidia GeForce GTX 280M is the high-end graphic card of the 200M series and based on the G92b core (Desktop GeForce 9800 GTX+). Therefore it can't be compared with the Desktop 280M. The chip is produced in 55nm (9800M GTX yet in 65nm). Its 128 pipelines are all enabled (for the 9800M GTX only 112).

Quoted from that site

The Q9000 is a good mobile gpu and can be overclocked... and with the price savings you could put one of these in there and still be cheaper:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148374

Or you could use it towards say, a 1TB external esata hdd....

bomberboysk

DUDE - It's based on the DESKTOP 9800GTX, not the LAPTOP version.. The LAPTOP 260M GTX = LAPTOP 9800M GTX, LAPTOP 280M GTX = DESKTOP 280M GTX.

LOL No, the laptop GTX280M is a 9800gtx+ Desktop gpu essentially... the gtx 280 desktop is totally different. And your not understanding here, for the OP i think that a small performance enhancement is not worth $800 that could be spent towards games, external hdd, gaming mouse, etc..

Last edited:

bomberboysk

You can if you want to :)

Lets restart the convo. If you had the budget of the OP, would you plunk down $800(37-38% increase), for a ~10% performance increase(less after you factor in overclocking)? Plus 2 year warranty and one year of accidental damage protection kinda is good too:) I really dont wanna keep arguing, especially over the internet it doesn't get you very far, and im not in an argumentative mood... Plus the asus is lighter while being bigger screen:D

Plus, did you edit that post? I might have made a mistake there if not, and am sorry if i did. If i did anything i might have erased the benchmark link and accidentally wiped out part of the quote.. and if i did, im sorry.

Last edited:
Lets restart the convo. If you had the budget of the OP, would you plunk down $800(37-38% increase), for a ~10% performance increase(less after you factor in overclocking)? Plus 2 year warranty and one year of accidental damage protection kinda is good too:) I really dont wanna keep arguing, especially over the internet it doesn't get you very far, and im not in an argumentative mood... Plus the asus is lighter while being bigger screen:D

I'll answer that question when you admit to faking the quote, in the mean time, I'll wait for a mod to check it.

bomberboysk

I'll answer that question when you admit to faking the quote, in the mean time, I'll wait for a mod to check it.

Read last post, might have made some kinda mistake.... Sorry if i did, if i didnt im still sorry. Kapeesh? Im not in the greatest mindset atm, kinda got a headache and the screen is almost a blur, and when trying to remove the bottom of the quote with bench link i might have as you said "faked" the quote, either while replying myself or whatnot... Sorry:( It seems to me like you may have edited your post, but if you didnt and im falsley accusing you sorry again.

Last edited:

bomberboysk

Damnit! I just want a gaming laptop that is worth $3000! >.<

lol... still dont know what to get =/

Well... either order the M17X as soon as you can so it gets to you, with sli GTX280M, or go for the asus i showed in a link a few up. Either would play any current games respectably.

Alientus

I think ill have JUST enough time to get the M17x if I order it like tomorrow.

Does this work?

Windows Vista® Home Premium (64-bit Edition) with Service Pack 1
Intel® Core™2 Duo T9800 2.93GHz (6MB Cache, 1066MHz FSB)
Dual NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 280M, 2GB – SLI® Enabled
17-inch WideXGA+ 1440x900 (900p)
4GB Dual Channel DDR3 at 1333MHz
320GB - 2x 160GB 7,200RPM - RAID 0
Slot-Load Dual Layer DVD Burner (DVD+-RW, CD-RW)

Does this work?

Awesome it will wrk

Does this work?

Good choice. There has not been a negative review about it, (Besides things like weight/price, no problems like breaking hinges in m15x/quad sutter in m17) It won't let you down!

bomberboysk

Does this work?

If you can afford it, go for the Q9000 quad cpu(can be overclocked),go for the HD display(1920x1200),and 1tb total storage with 500gb x2.

Last edited:

MorningWood

I had a M17 that was $3300 and I shipped it back within the month and started to build my own computer. Not worth the money, couldnt play games on high settings and was lagging at medium settings. Was barely playable

I had a M17 that was $3300 and I shipped it back within the month and started to build my own computer. Not worth the money, couldnt play games on high settings and was lagging at medium settings. Was barely playable

You obviously had the 2.53ghz quad core. Read some reviews about things like that before you purchase such an expensive computer, tons of people have problems with it..
http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?p=4875638
http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?p=4892975

If you would have kept it, it would be fixed via a heatpipe mod or a bios fix :)

@The Q9000 CANNOT be overclocked via bios (which makes overclocking have the warrenty voided), only the extreme edition quad core can be overclocked via bios.

bomberboysk

You obviously had the 2.53ghz quad core. Read some reviews about things like that before you purchase such an expensive computer, tons of people have problems with it..
http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?p=4875638
http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?p=4892975

If you would have kept it, it would be fixed via a heatpipe mod or a bios fix :)

@The Q9000 CANNOT be overclocked via bios (which makes overclocking have the warrenty voided), only the extreme edition quad core can be overclocked via bios.

Oh really? That kinda sucks.... but i would still go with a quad, as soon enough games will be more important to have more cores than two at high clockspeed.