Getting new Graphics card.

So, I'm gonna get a new GPU soon, probobly by Christmas (the time of giving, :D), and I think I know which one:
GTX 460 1 GB x2 SLI
Now, I know SLi isnt the best way to do a setup. But, the biggest reason for me: IT SOUNDS AND LOOKS COOLER!!!! WHO CARES ABOUT PERFORMANCE WHEN IT LOOKS AND SOUNDS COOL?!?! :p :D Im not completly joking on that, but im still joking, obviously. Who else thinks 460 SLI sounds and looks cooler? But, The real reason (partially) is that is on the same performance as a 570, for cheaper. Not to mention, games that take little to no advantage of sli, the 460 alone is a pretty powerful card. Do I need a sli bridge for these, or can I do it thru software for a little while until I get a sli bridge? I plan on getting 2 1080p 22 inchers with DVI in a couple years, along with my 19 incher now, which is a lower res. My 19 incher will not be playing games at all though, only my 2 22 inchers will be playing games. If you reccomend, I would much rather have nvidia, but will think about amd if you reccomend one.

Last edited:

M1kkelZR

yeah you could go for GTX460 SLI, but why not get something more now? Like a GTX670/680 if you can afford it by then. Future proofing, runs better and cooler.

But the 460 is still an awesome card so SLI'd 460's is also awesome :D

Not to mention, dont you need 2 GPUs for 3 monitors with nvidia? Plus, how would I get a 670 if that is double the cost of 2 460s?

FuryRosewood

670 can handle multiple displays with ease, the 460 has that limitation, also im not for certain if the 670 can downclock to its minimum cpu clockrate with multiple monitors attached, but the 460 definately cannot, i have to use an additional piece of software to manage that feat, otherwise it sits in 2D mode all the time at 450mhz.

jonnyp11

I'm not going to argue the appeal of the 460 sli setup, but not those 460's man, get a branded card with good reviews, not some generic p.o.s.

I'm not going to argue the appeal of the 460 sli setup, but not those 460's man, get a branded card with good reviews, not some generic p.o.s.

Generic poc? No, it is not. It is a EPIC looking reference 460, basiccly, they bought a 460 from nvidia, and than sold it, no other changes were made to the card. I love cards with no branding. But, to tell you the truth, I dont know which 460s Im getting, maybe those or maybe asus, evga, etc.

Should a 750w seasonic be enough?Or should I go with a 850w corsair?I think 750 will be enough, as 260w a card, so 520w, than 100w CPU, so 620w, than 35w mobo (i think), so 650w, than 25w hdd, and a 25w ssd, so 700w, and a 25w cd drive, so 725w, and than a wifi card and smaller accesorires for 740w.And, these are all at full load wattages.So, ovbiously, I wont be running all these things at full load at onece, and the 2nd card will probobly never get to full load, probobly 85% max ever.

Darren

Staff member
I'm not talking about it being not doable on old cards, I'm saying it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to purposefully buy 2 old cards to SLI when you can buy newer cards.

Think about it.2 not very old cards that beat a single 570 for 80$ cheaper, and think about the WOW!Factor, Me: "I have a 560 ti!" Other Guy "Cool, I guess" Me: "I have 2 460s in SLI!" Other guy:"Hell, yeah!Thats epic!Can I see how it looks in your case?Hell, yeah!It looks epic too!" (Okay, a little dramatic there, but still).And, somebody anwser my psu question, please?

M1kkelZR

Actually no, 2 GTX460's wont outperform 1 GTX570 with something you will notice. And will never outperform 1 GTX670. GTX670 consumes less power than 2 GTX460's and supports nVidia Surround vision.

I think most people will agree that the GTX570 is a better choice, and the GTX670 is a better choice no matter what.

I'd recommend getting a Corsair 600W+ psu, 850 is overkill though for 2 460's in SLI

spirit

Staff member
Well if you want to game on two monitors don't you need Eyefinity which only the ATI/AMD cards have? I doubt you can game on two monitors using a pair of 460s but I don't think they support Surround Vision. I may be wrong of course. You may be better off going with two 5850s or 5870s if that's the case. Two 5850s in SLI will give you the same sort of speed as two 460s in SLI.

A quality 750W unit would be fine for two 460s or 5850s. No need to go any higher.

Get an EVGA, MSI, ASUS or Gigabyte card if you're buying an NVIDIA card. Get a Sapphire, XFX, HIS, MSI or ASUS card if you're buying an ATI/AMD card. Don't buy non-branded cards.

Honestly, just pick up a single GTX 560 Ti or a single GTX 570, because then in the future once the 560s and 570s get cheap, you can grab another one and put it in SLI with your existing card and you'll get much better performance.

Last edited:

M1kkelZR

Well if you want to game on two monitors don't you need Eyefinity which only the ATI/AMD cards have? I doubt you can game on two monitors using a pair of 460s but I don't think they support Surround Vision. I may be wrong of course. You may be better off going with two 5850s or 5870s if that's the case. Two 5850s in SLI will give you the same sort of speed as two 460s in SLI.

A quality 750W unit would be fine for two 460s or 5850s. No need to go any higher.

Get an EVGA, MSI, ASUS or Gigabyte card if you're buying an NVIDIA card. Get a Sapphire, XFX, HIS, MSI or ASUS card if you're buying an ATI/AMD card. Don't buy non-branded cards.

Honestly, just pick up a single GTX 560 Ti or a single GTX 570, because then in the future once the 560s and 570s get cheap, you can grab another one and put it in SLI with your existing card and you'll get much better performance.

No nVidia has Surround vision. That was supported from Fermi if I'm right, so you can play on 2 monitors.

for the rest, I totally agree :)

spirit

Staff member
No nVidia has Surround vision. That was supported from Fermi if I'm right, so you can play on 2 monitors.

for the rest, I totally agree :)

OK my bad then. :) I've just seen the 460 has 3D Surround Vision allowing you to play on three 3D displays. A 560 Ti or a 570 would still be a much better choice though, even a Radeon 7850 or a 7870 would be better, but I don't think Byte likes Radeons.

You'd agree because you're the biggest 5800 series fanboy in the world. ;) So am I actually come to think of it. :D

Why not a crossfired hd6870 setup? It's running great for me! I think it beats the gtx460 sli too!
It costs more. And to everybody who said this: Why are people bringing up the 670? It is a $400 Card, double what I want to spend. Of course the 670 is better. This will be my setup for gpus for at least 4 years, I WILL never get a other card to sli if I get a single card, as in 4 years all kinds of new cards will be out. A 570 is $80 more! I am not gonna get a 570! A 460 sli setup is just as good, if not better than a 570 for $80 cheaper! And, a 570 doesn't support 3 monitors alone! Plus, I dont want a amd Cfxsetup like vista said, as i would by far rather have nividia, especially when it is on the same performance as amd.

jonnyp11

It costs more. And to everybody who said this: Why are people bringing up the 670? It is a $400 Card, double what I want to spend. Of course the 670 is better. This will be my setup for gpus for at least 4 years, I WILL never get a other card to sli if I get a single card, as in 4 years all kinds of new cards will be out. A 570 is $80 more! I am not gonna get a 570! A 460 sli setup is just as good, if not better than a 570 for $80 cheaper! And, a 570 doesn't support 3 monitors alone! Plus, I dont want a amd Cfxsetup like vista said, as i would by far rather have nividia, especially when it is on the same performance as amd.

i'm gonna agree, the sli'd 460's are as powerful as a 580

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/314?vs=305

If only you could find some used 470's to do it with, my single 470 is a monster, i love this thing!!!!!!! Of course i'm on a low res so it easily does well, maxed out crysis warhead for the entire campaign on enthusiast settings with good fps at 1280x960, and still looks great at that res, no need for 1080p here.

Last edited:

M1kkelZR

So basically, you would rather go for an older card and waste more energy when you can get a single card that performs exactly the same ( you wont see any difference in performance unless you are an Frames per second fanatic ). After 4 months max. you would have spent that 80$ on electricity.

As I said; personal choice

So basically, you would rather go for an older card and waste more energy when you can get a single card that performs exactly the same ( you wont see any difference in performance unless you are an Frames per second fanatic ). After 4 months max. you would have spent that 80$ on electricity.

As I said; personal choice
Their has to be a reason you are being a cheese hole about me wanting to sli cards. I know it has nothing to with electricity, is it because you are jealous that it would beat a 3870 to the ground, and that 560ti doesn't sound cooler and look cooler than a 3870m but 460 sli does?