Getting new Graphics card.

M1kkelZR

but remember, i'm pretty sure sli only uses the memory of 1 card, not doubling the memory, so you'd want to get the highest memory version you can

Yeah it doesn't double memory. The highest memory version I've seen around is a 1GB version.

^Big deal. I run out of buffer on my single 460 with just two monitors...

Yeah, I run out with my awesome 512MB card on 2 1280x1024 monitors :p

But why in earth would you want to run 3 Monitors to play games on? Also the 670 supports 3 monitors on 1 gpu with ease, you will struggle badly with 2 460's and 3 monitors when playing games. Even if they aren't resource intesive, they still use the GPU to do alot of calculations.

Virssagòn

VIP Member
but remember, i'm pretty sure sli only uses the memory of 1 card, not doubling the memory, so you'd want to get the highest memory version you can

yeah, crossfire doesn't double too... sad.. ;P
But don't need that memory man, using a 1080p and it's enough for that!

claptonman

It seems like you're set on getting two 460s and shoot down other opinions.. I wouldn't do it myself, but its up to you. I'd still go with a strong single card so you can SLI/crossfire later.

Okedokey

The OP's argument is very persuasive. GTX580 performance for half the cost.

You will definitely suffer FPS issues with 3 monitors however, even on 1 monitor at 1080p uses 98% of 1.5GB GTX580 on a lot of games with high textures (e.g. Skyrim or BF3). The power consumption will be about the same so make sure you have a quality PUS. The cooling may be an issues so make sure you are ready for that. The top card will be sucking in air through maybe 5mm, off of a hot second card, so you will have to deal with that. I wouldn't be surprised if you have to WC that top card.

Having said all of that, you are currently playing on a 19" monitor, 1 of, and if you aren't getting 3x1080p monitors now, then you're silly getting the 460sli. As others have said, you're better off getting a 550Ti or similar for one monitor. Plus you'll need a new PSU.

But apart from that, the other arguments against in general are simply wrong.

Last edited:

Virssagòn

VIP Member
The OP's argument is very persuasive. GTX580 performance for half the cost.

You will definitely suffer FPS issues with 3 monitors however, even on 1 monitor at 1080p uses 98% of 1.5GB GTX580 on a lot of games with high textures (e.g. Skyrim or BF3). The power consumption will be about the same so make sure you have a quality PUS. The cooling may be an issues so make sure you are ready for that. The top card will be sucking in air through maybe 5mm, off of a hot second card, so you will have to deal with that. I wouldn't be surprised if you have to WC that top card.

Having said all of that, you are currently playing on a 19" monitor, 1 of, and if you aren't getting 3x1080p monitors now, then you're silly getting the 460sli. As others have said, you're better off getting a 550Ti or similar for one monitor. Plus you'll need a new PSU.

But apart from that, the other arguments against in general are simply wrong.

what is his budget?
Because a 580 isn't really cheap :p

you need to have enough vram with that 3 screens.
I would consider at least one from 2gb memory.
a 6970 got 3gb.

Okedokey

He wont even be running one 1080p monitor, so the issue is pretty redundant. LIke this thread really...

MyCattMaxx

It doesn't matter anyway.
At the beginning of the thread he indicated that he is hot on the looks and bragging rights of having 2 in sli.
You can beat him over the head all you want but he has already decided.

jonnyp11

Im talking about the frame buffer. Its a mute point with a 19" monitor.

My 19 incher will not be playing games at all though, only my 2 22 inchers will be playing games

and those 2 22's are going to be 1080p, so he needs something capable of 3840*1080, which really needs at least 2GB's buffer minimum.

Why not get a slightly more expensive card for now and save for a second in a few months, so instead of 2 100 buck cards, a 150-175 buck now and another later, hell, buy them used and get even better cards if you must. i think there is a 550ti 2gb on newegg around that price, cheapest 2gb worth getting i saw

Okedokey

Mate, hes getting them in 'years', its a stupid thread to even consider. By then the 460s will be shite, and only then the frame buffer issue will be evident. Its a dumb thread.

jonnyp11

Mate, hes getting them in 'years', its a stupid thread to even consider. By then the 460s will be shite, and only then the frame buffer issue will be evident. Its a dumb thread.

actually if you check the MRA thread he's got a job, 70 a week, and now getting an i5, then 670, then new case, prob then monitors and all that.