give me your opinoun on ubuntu

MattN

i want to use ubuntu linux but i want some opinouns on it and its preformance. will the newest one run ok with my specs?
dual proccesors xeon 3.06 ghz (single core)
memory 2gb ddr1 i think it runns at 200 mhz
8x agp readon 4650
im going to use my secondary ide drive 5400 rpm 80 gb
anyway is good enough and what about driver issues?
do you enjoy it?
pros/cons?

spynoodle

i want to use ubuntu linux but i want some opinouns on it and its preformance. will the newest one run ok with my specs?
dual proccesors xeon 3.06 ghz (single core)
memory 2gb ddr1 i think it runns at 200 mhz
8x agp readon 4650
im going to use my secondary ide drive 5400 rpm 80 gb
anyway is good enough and what about driver issues?
do you enjoy it?
pros/cons?

Your system should run Ubuntu fine. ;) I ran it for a while a couple years back and it was pretty nice. If you want a basic, easy to use Linux distro, it's a great option.

wolfeking

banned
If you use 10.04.3 it is great, beyond that it is trash.

I would go for crunchbang, Mint, or pretty much any other distro at this point.

massahwahl

VIP Member
I personally love ubuntu. The newest version is super lightweight and easy to navigate. I know a lot of the 'hardcore' linux people have hated on it because its become so user friendly and the hardcore crowd have generally preferred their terminal commands. While I too enjoy using the terminal, I appreciate how far ubuntu has come in giving a distribution that just works. Very few driver setting up AND if you have windows installed on the same hard drive you can migrate all your information, documents, music, pictures, etc over to ubuntu which is an ever bigger reason to recommend it.

wolfeking

banned
I don't have a problem with it because of usability. That was what brought me to it in the first place. I personally loathe terminal. The thing that is screwing Ubuntu for me is it is turning very much into Windows and OSX. It is locking Unitity as the only WM and letting hardly any if any changes to be made to that itself. Ubuntu is Linux, and it has dropped its roots in favor of getting more idiotic teens onto it to run market share through the roof.

If they did not lock down what makes Linux great, then I would not have an issue, but they have just screwed themselves.

massahwahl

VIP Member
I don't have a problem with it because of usability. That was what brought me to it in the first place. I personally loathe terminal. The thing that is screwing Ubuntu for me is it is turning very much into Windows and OSX. It is locking Unitity as the only WM and letting hardly any if any changes to be made to that itself. Ubuntu is Linux, and it has dropped its roots in favor of getting more idiotic teens onto it to run market share through the roof.

If they did not lock down what makes Linux great, then I would not have an issue, but they have just screwed themselves.

Well, keep in mind though that like you mentioned they are distributing a product, a free one that costs a lot of time and money to keep going. Ubuntu is pretty much top dog of linux distributions because they proved time and time again to know what worked best for their users and the hardware their users have.

That being said, once netbooks started becoming popular and turning to Ubuntu as the go-to cheap and grizzly way to sell cheap hardware to unknowing consumers they had to make adjustments to, once again, make a universally easy to use and powerful operating system for power users and the casual users who didnt understand what they were getting into. Most people who bought the early round of cheap-o netbooks had no idea what ubuntu was and got fed up with the fact that it wasnt windows. Ubuntu didnt want to get their name tarnished because people didnt know what they were getting themselves into.

Which brings us to the newest release which still has its heart and linux soul, but does have a few less 'tweaks' available in order keep a high quality product the same experience for someone with a $120 netbook or a $1000 performance pc. I could make arguments for why Unity is a good product too, but thats an entire thread topic in and of itself.

So moving towards an approachable 'experience' like that of windows or mac is a smart move because what makes Linux so special its whats under the hood and linux fans will always know that. I run Ubuntu on my server and to be honest its running so much behind the scenes stuff that what it looks like on the screen is completely ancillary. Ubuntu still makes it easy to tweak its engine and thats whats important... even if you cant install that stupid 3d cube desktop nonsense...

wolfeking

banned
Flat and simple there are better solutions than Ubuntu. It is not even the top Linux distro at this point. Mint leads it by a wide margin.

Secondly, netbook usability is a bad way to judge a product. Sure, it can run it on a P3 @ 600 MHz, this does not mean that windows 7 can not do the same (it will). Lightweight or not, it is a Linux system. But it is breaking the Linux Logic of being able to make it completely yours. It would not surprise me one bit if Ubuntu in the next 2-4 years completely lock the repositories and limit it to approved software all the way, becoming a truly commercial "Linux". You can be Linux all you want, but you ruin the name of the Penguin when you take away from what it stands for, which is personalization and complete freeware sharing. Linux is tarnished by Ubuntu with Unity.

Either way, Mint is much easier to use for the average windows user, and has the Linux ideals in tact.

massahwahl

VIP Member
But even with unity you can still customize the way the OS works, I will agree that they should not have locked everyone into the same experience, but if your only using linux because you want to make it look pretty, then your missing the point of what makes linux so great. I feel like Ubuntu has been pretty honest about their intentions to make a high quality product that is user friendly and also marketable to hardware manufacturers. As with any company, the bigger it gets the more people will inevitably start to feel alienated by it, especially those who have been around for a long time.

wolfeking

banned
ok, back to topic, I have gave my opinion on Ubuntu, and I see where you are coming from.

And it is more than just make it look good. If I am on a computer for hours at a time, I want a no nonsense interface. Ubuntu used to offer that, now, just as Windows has, they moved on in favor of what looks cool. There are still Linuxes out that that look professional, and strait to the point, Crunchbang is good with this, as is a few others. My opinion is that you should be able to make it exactly what you want. It is a puzzle in a box. Sure you can make a bridge like the cover says, but then again you should be able to make whatever your heart desires. I like having simple drop down/pop up menus, with no eye candy, and little guessing at all. Ubuntu 10 offers this, Ubuntu 11 does not. Ubuntu is now become the puzzle where you only get what is on the box, why? Because that is what they think people want. They are pandering to the lowest common denominator, and forsaking what made them great to start with.

NyxCharon

But even with unity you can still customize the way the OS works, I will agree that they should not have locked everyone into the same experience, but if your only using linux because you want to make it look pretty, then your missing the point of what makes linux so great. I feel like Ubuntu has been pretty honest about their intentions to make a high quality product that is user friendly and also marketable to hardware manufacturers. As with any company, the bigger it gets the more people will inevitably start to feel alienated by it, especially those who have been around for a long time.
lol, no. They've slowing been rolling towards a proprietary, paid model while still maintaining they hold true to the standard linux OS. Granted, it's not a paid model now, but if/when it happens, I won't be surprised. Customability? No, not really. Not like a debian/arch/gentoo/etc setup. So much more work to get something to work. Oh, you want to install gnome3 instead of Unity? Let me just break the entire system. Etc. It's plagued with bugs and problems and I honestly can not advocate anyone use there product any more. Granted, It's only my opinion and I am only one person, but I like to think I somewhat know what I'm talking about, since I maintain my own distro.

TS, go use Linux Mint for your OS. It'll be a great first linux OS for you. Easy to use and customize, and the forums are a great if you need help.

TrainTrackHack

VIP Member
Haven't used it for years (9.10 I think was the latest Ubuntu I ever gave a shot, might have been 9.04), so I can't really comment on its current state but it's generally seen as the distro that introduces you to linux and there was sort of a social stigma that if you're really serious about it, you were supposed to move on from the tricycle to a more advanced distro. I don't disagree with it, Ubuntu got me going on Linux and was a funky cool thing to play around with but it wasn't until Fedora that I began to use it as more than just a toy OS. Still, I did find it a quite solid OS even after having used Fedora more than a year, only a bit stiff and awkward with it headed fast towards the Mr Joseph Average kind of audience. I suppose it's still a nice beginner OS, though.

Oh and yes, you hardware will handle it just fine, performance-wise anyway.

massahwahl

VIP Member
Wow I must be in the minority! Ive used Fedora and Mint in the past and still gravitate back to Ubuntu.

To the OP, if you take anything away from this thread know that on top of all else you can try whatever you want without consequence. Do yourself a favor and try some different distros till you find what you like!

wolfeking

banned
The one thing that 2 of us have not even looked at. He is going to (not might is going to) have driver issues with his GPU. It is an ATI card, and ati is like rat poison to Linux.

wolfeking

banned
it is a driver issue. ATI has very limited to non existent driver support in every Linux. He may be fine if he does not install CCC in it, but then he will be very limited in what he can do graphics wise.

Hyper-Threaded

I tried Ubuntu 11.04 I believe with a 2.8ghz P4 and 1.5 gb of ram and it wasn't bad at all. It ran alittle slower than xp, but if you dont know how to operate command mode you cant even install some simple drivers. But its very professional looking and works good. Next time I will try another distributor like mint just to see.

wolfeking

banned
Professional looking, good one.

10.04 is much more professional looking. I would venture that windows 7 is more professional looking than ubuntu 11.

I am going to try it again soon, just because 10 is almost out of support. But I will still almost guarantee that it will be dropped by me and move on to a more professional experience.