give me your opinoun on ubuntu

jonnyp11

Hey, anyone tried out the 12.04lts beta yet, downloaded it yesterday but haven't tried it yet (also down'd the win8 public preview and adonis linux)

wolfeking

banned
got it downloading now. I will give it a try and offer any insight that I can. I think it is just going to be more of the same 11 crap they have been peddling.

wolfeking

banned
well windows 95 is old. I use 2000 regularly, and XP, and I think both of them are ok looking from a professional sense. Ubuntu used to be that way, back in 10.04 and back. Seems Unity is just too complicated. I would like less bells and eye candy and a little more usefulness.

Hyper-Threaded

well windows 95 is old. I use 2000 regularly, and XP, and I think both of them are ok looking from a professional sense. Ubuntu used to be that way, back in 10.04 and back. Seems Unity is just too complicated. I would like less bells and eye candy and a little more usefulness.

Yea, my favorite Operating system is good old winXP. I would run ubuntu on a junk computer that needs a OS and I dont want to spend any money on it.

got it downloading now. I will give it a try and offer any insight that I can. I think it is just going to be more of the same 11 crap they have been peddling.

Its exactly the same... I tried it with a duel boot with XP and then shortly after deleted it.

Last edited:

wolfeking

banned
to be honest, I would take 2000 over XP any day, unless you need Chrome or Flashplayer on it. That is where 2000 lets you down.

Anyway, I don't think that I will keep ubuntu when they switch over to 12 LTS. I will most likely go to Fedora or something. I might keep 10.04 for its ease of use in gathering files from other partitions. If I could figure that out in other distros, I would drop it permanently in favour of something in the realm of actual, unadulterated Linux. Something that is not commercialized (the idea behind Linux to start with).

Hyper-Threaded

to be honest, I would take 2000 over XP any day, unless you need Chrome or Flashplayer on it. That is where 2000 lets you down.

Yea support for win2000 is running out, You said Linux Mint is good? My friend wants to use linux on a computer, what do you think about it? Easy to Install and operate?

wolfeking

banned
I have not used it since I wrote the guide in my siggy. It seemed to be more intuitive and full featured than Ubuntu at the time (10.04 that was, I only operate on LTS runs with them). There was none of the searching for DVD codecs and restricted extras and such, it just worked right from install.
The UI was fairly easy to use coming from windows, at least for me.

And yea, I have noticed. But I will use it till it completely dies and is forgotten to the pages of history. then I will run XP till it dies, vista and so forth. I actually have XP and Vista on my dell laptop, but I rarely use them.

Dngrsone

VIP Member
I'm running 10.04 as well. I tried 11.04, and it ran nice and quick at first. But then I started trying to customize it and next thing you know, it was creeping.

I liked Unity, but I couldn't customize it. I'd try something (to me) simple like separate wallpapers, and Unity would crash.

I didn't like that thing in the upper left corner, either-- I want to see all the programs I have on the computer, not just the ones you think I want.

At any rate, I will try 12.04... maybe in a couple weeks.

I do look forward to seeing what you have to say about it, wolfeking.

Last time I tried Mint, it would run on my laptop; but that was three or four laptops ago, so I probably should give it another try.

... man, I hate shopping, whether it's for clothes or OS's...

wolfeking

banned
you will see what I have to say maybe. So far I have downloaded it twice, and burned 4 times, and all 4 times it has failed the verification. I am going to try on a computer at school monday to see if they will have any better luck.

Dngrsone

VIP Member
you will see what I have to say maybe. So far I have downloaded it twice, and burned 4 times, and all 4 times it has failed the verification. I am going to try on a computer at school monday to see if they will have any better luck.

You know, I had that same problem when I downloaded 11.04-- MD5 hashes wouldn't match up, I ended up having to download it from Windows.

DL'd from within Win and the the image was perfectly fine.
doh.gif

wolfeking

banned
I am in windows vista while trying, and the MD5's are matching up. I think it is a problem with my burner, not the data itself.

Dngrsone

VIP Member
Sonuva... they're going back to Rhythmbox?

I'm only just now getting used to Banshee after a year of fighting with it! (I'm lying-- banshee is actually easier for me to use).

What's next, regressing to OOo? :eek:

Dngrsone

VIP Member
whats wrong with OO? I use it daily and see no problem with it other than it is not M$ office.

Nothing. Actually, I'm pissed off at Libre because it won't work with my OOo Base files.

Naw, I'm just sayin' going back to Rhythmbox is a step backward.

wolfeking

banned
I guess you have a point there. But I never really used either rhythmbox or the others out there too much.

I think Ubuntu is mad at me for not speaking well of it. As I know for damn sure than every CD burner in the house is not bad. FML. anyway, I will find a way to do this. Might just stick it on USB to try it.

massahwahl

VIP Member
Ill add one more comment to this discussion, if nothing else than it seems that a few people are hating on ubuntu and dont really have a strong linux background (please dont take that as an insult, just an observation).

To those who say 'Ubuntu has sold out!'

My response to this again is 'really???' Yes Linux is all about open source and being free, thats what makes it great but at the end of the day it is a business and businesses have to make decisions based on what makes the most sense for their future success and not based on what makes a small number of super fans happy. Ubuntu has been around for a long time and will be for a long time and every time they have added a new feature they have received flack and accusations of selling out and distancing themselves from the community and two weeks later everyone gets over it and waits for the next new thing they can find to complain about.

Consider this too, over the last few years there has been a strong push on hardware manufacturers to start providing drivers and support for linux and to be perfectly honest Ubuntu has been a huge reason why. As I mentioned in an earlier post, netbooks backing Ubuntu as their early OS of choice meant more hardware support (albeit in the beginning cheap hardware) and some major steps in the right direction for expanding support to the greater linux universe. With driver and hardware support continuing to grow, it means the community at large will benefit. If nothing else look at Ubuntu as the sacramental sheep for the future stability of Linux. If Linux does finally 'sell out' and become a paid OS (I still say this thought is bogus, they have a strong enough business following to never need to charge for their consumer OS) and everyone migrates away there will be enough good garnered from Ubuntus existence to solidify their place in history.

wolfeking

banned
To those who say 'Ubuntu has sold out!'

My response to this again is 'really???' Yes Linux is all about open source and being free
Open source. that is where ubuntu is failing as a Linux OS. They are moving to a closed source model, in favor of market share. This is forsaking Linux.

Freeware, that is true of them, they are free. But for how much longer. And Cost is not a motivator to me, I would pay to have it if need be. But when they go closed source, that is where I draw the Line.

Dngrsone

VIP Member
Cost is not a motivator to me, I would pay to have it if need be.

Here is where I differ. My biggest beef with Microsoft is not their proprietary platform so much as the amount they are extorting out of the consumer.

I would pay $20 for an OS. I'd pay $50, maybe $75 for a 'Pro' version of an OS.

I will not pay $150 for an entry-level OS.

I will not pay $200 for an Office suite, even if it came with a nubile young secretary with no morals.

wolfeking

banned
I will not pay $200 for an Office suite, even if it came with a nubile young secretary with no morals.
maybe if it did, but only in russian or maybe Latina format. hmm... Italian language pack anyone?

And Maybe I was not clear in how I meant it. If they charged a nominal fee, say $20-50, I would probably still use it.