give me your opinoun on ubuntu

DMGrier

VIP Member
I do hate the argument of open source cause everyone always gets it wrong. You all do know the original people to support opens source and wrote the open source defenition's support the idea of proprietary and open source together.

It is the man who created the free software movement that is against proprietary at all but if you have have ever seen this man in interviews and stuff you would realize he is crazy.

I had been using Ubuntu since 8.04 and I think all the way up to 11.10 was nice releases cause I personally have had no problems.

I also wanted to comment on how someone on here wrote that someday Ubuntu will cost money, all I have to say is you are either high or just very retarded.

MattN

I do hate the argument of open source cause everyone always gets it wrong. You all do know the original people to support opens source and wrote the open source defenition's support the idea of proprietary and open source together.

It is the man who created the free software movement that is against proprietary at all but if you have have ever seen this man in interviews and stuff you would realize he is crazy.

I had been using Ubuntu since 8.04 and I think all the way up to 11.10 was nice releases cause I personally have had no problems.

I also wanted to comment on how someone on here wrote that someday Ubuntu will cost money, all I have to say is you are either high or just very retarded.

well i just installed it yesterday and i feel as if it was alot slower then xp and were the hell do i get flash? is there a way of toning down the visuals so i can make it faster? the thing that was really dragging me towards ubuntu was the app store thats pretty cool i have not really messed with it yet. and the OS is just kinda weird im so used to windows. any tips on being a beginning user?

wolfeking

banned
you can get flash 1 of two ways.
1. go to the app store and search for "flash" and install it.
2. go to www.google.co.uk/chrome and install it (not chromium, but full chrome). It comes with flash and is a lot less hassle to get running.

Your system will run Ubuntu pretty good, though I don't like the new ubuntu distros (above 10.10). Linux Mint is a nice one.

jonnyp11

you can get flash 1 of two ways.
1. go to the app store and search for "flash" and install it.
2. go to www.google.co.uk/chrome and install it (not chromium, but full chrome). It comes with flash and is a lot less hassle to get running.

I'm putting 12.04 on my flash drive now, idk why but Adonis (nyxcharon's distro) refuses to work, 3 tries, each time re-burning to the usb after formatting it, and all of them sit at the blinking underscore, which is also what happened with gparted so might be something else....

wolfeking

banned
what are you using to install it to the USB? I have never had trouble with YUMI, so try it. You might have a bad flashkey though, but other than trying on another computer I have no idea how to test something like that.

jonnyp11

it's the burner i think, was using unetbootin, now gonna try universal usb installer (the one ubuntu recomends), but what would i use for Adonis, at the bottom it has unlisted distros old and new syslinux, would it be new?

Also, what should it be formatted to? NTFS, FAT32, what?

wolfeking

banned
use YUMI. and at the top click format.

for adonis, use unlisted new, and for ubuntu use 12.04 if it is listed, if not use 11.10. click install once you navigate to your downloaded iso. it will install it, and then ask you if you want to place more isos on your boot media. You can install everything to it at once if your flashkey is big enough.

jonnyp11

use YUMI. and at the top click format.

for adonis, use unlisted new, and for ubuntu use 12.04 if it is listed, if not use 11.10. click install once you navigate to your downloaded iso. it will install it, and then ask you if you want to place more isos on your boot media. You can install everything to it at once if your flashkey is big enough.

Yay, got a 4 gig so can get Adonis and 12.04 on there, if only is was actually a true 4gb or bigger so i could put win8 and 12.04 or all 3.

Of course yumi don't see the iso files?!?!?!?!:confused:

Last edited:

wolfeking

banned
you can get 16 GB at walmart for like $20 or something. and newegg has them for little of nothing too. Its good to have one laying around for just installing OSs to.

Anyway, you should be able to get both on 4GB. You can keep them on the flashdrive too as long as you do not store any data to the multiboot folder. And you will have to rename the sources folder if you put windows and a LInux on it at the same time (it will tell you exactly what to do when you start to install windows to it).

jonnyp11

Yep, it b my drive or comp, gonna try it on something else in a min and see, but aint looking good right now...

Might help if i didn't have a partition on my usb, so my comps were prob reading the unallocated empty sector, which i guess would explay why it would just sit and blink the line. and i think i killed my usb by taking the partition out, now it isn't recognized by windows...............fml

Last edited: