Google announces plans for Operating System

Euklid

Google is getting a foot in the Operating System market. They say they are
creating it from the ground-up, basing the code in an era of internet
computing. They are aiming the OS at people who spend most of their time
on the web.

Most important question - will it be able to run Crysis? Perhaps one day this
operating system will act as a viable replacement for Windows. One day we
will wake up and notice - our prayers have been answered!

It is going to be distributed as open source software.

Full article: Introducing the Google Chrome OS

bomberboysk

Ooh....now this is interesting. If this ends up being any good my laptop might get an os makeover. Definately will have a place on my desktop in a VM, maybe even a secondary hard drive for it. Sounds promising..

Last edited:

Shane

Super Moderator
Staff member
thought they alerady had one called GOS? or Google OS? :D

Anyway would be great to see an alternative os that could run games....then it would be goodbye windows.

Shane

Super Moderator
Staff member
its prolly got what, a via esther in it?

Yes...its a beast :D

Most likely a C-7

c7_logo.jpg

2048Megabytes

Interesting, Google is making an Operating System. Hopefully they won't charge $90 for it like Microsoft does. I find it doubtful that Google would charge much money for their operating system. If they do it likely won't cost much.

Shane

Super Moderator
Staff member
This was in the paper today,I think this is going to be a good os,they plan to take on microsoft big time.

But i doubt they will realy get anywhere with it other than what linux can do now anyway.

I can only hope it plays games lol

Euklid

It will be better than Linux - no doubt. At the very least, it will have a pleasing interface.
Something Ubuntu failed at miserably. Open source never has good graphic or interface
designers - they can't afford them. Google has always been creating usability in their
software.

Orange as a main interface color? Nothing could be more overpowering and repulsive.
Terrible use of font - the large text in the interface eats up all the vertical height.
Using a command prompt to add support for larger monitor resolutions? Eugh... Sad
attempt at usability.

Last edited:

Bodaggit23

I think this is going to be a good os,they plan to take on microsoft big time.

I can only hope it plays games lol

I wouldn't count on it.

It's the software developers that have to get behind the project and choose to build their software around the OS, not the other way around.