Google announces plans for Operating System

tlarkin

VIP Member
It will be better than Linux - no doubt. At the very least, it will have a pleasing interface.
Something Ubuntu failed at miserably. Open source never has good graphic or interface
designers - they can't afford them. Google has always been creating usability in their
software.

Orange as a main interface color? Nothing could be more overpowering and repulsive.
Terrible use of font - the large text in the interface eats up all the vertical height.
Using a command prompt to add support for larger monitor resolutions? Eugh... Sad
attempt at usability.

That is a pretty bold statement about an OS that is not tried and proven to work well in the consumer or business market.

Only time will tell how good it will, and really with Linux you can do whatever you want with the GUI/interfaces because under the hood it is still Linux.

2048Megabytes

It will be better than Linux - no doubt. At the very least, it will have a pleasing interface.
Something Ubuntu failed at miserably. Open source never has good graphic or interface
designers - they can't afford them. Google has always been creating usability in their
software.

Orange as a main interface color? Nothing could be more overpowering and repulsive.
Terrible use of font - the large text in the interface eats up all the vertical height.
Using a command prompt to add support for larger monitor resolutions? Eugh... Sad
attempt at usability.

While I agree that the Ubuntu operating system doesn't have an advanced aesthetic user interface, I still find it to be a good operating system for what I use it for. I don't see anything wrong with using orange as an interface color and I don't think it looks as horrible as you're stating. They definitely could improve the aesthetic appearance in Ubuntu. But I love how resistant Ubuntu is to malicious software.

tlarkin

VIP Member
Here is the problem. Google is giving us a vague promise. It hasn't been tested or proven yet. It is also going to be implemented in a small niche market, ie netbooks and internet devices. It isn't going to try to compete with the desktop OS world, and not even come close to a competitor any time in the near future.

Unix was developed back in the 1960s all the way until present times. It still has bugs and issues. Linux was developed in the late 80s early 90s era and still has issues. Microsoft has been making OSes for over 20 years now and they still can't get it right either.

OS X was based off of NEXT, which is Unix and can be traced back so many years of development.

So, google posts this vague promise of their OS in some blog. With no demos, videos or screen shots. Just a few paragraphs of a vague promise.

Why do you think Google wants to do this? The answer is already in front of you. With Google starting to take off the beta tags on all their web based apps now the most likely want to market an Internet device (phone, tablet, netbook, etc) that runs their OS and integrates all of their web based apps into one piece of hardware they can sell.

This will not be a contender against OS X, Linux, Windows, or Unix. It will be a niche item for a specific purpose.

bomberboysk

Here is the problem. Google is giving us a vague promise. It hasn't been tested or proven yet. It is also going to be implemented in a small niche market, ie netbooks and internet devices. It isn't going to try to compete with the desktop OS world, and not even come close to a competitor any time in the near future.

Unix was developed back in the 1960s all the way until present times. It still has bugs and issues. Linux was developed in the late 80s early 90s era and still has issues. Microsoft has been making OSes for over 20 years now and they still can't get it right either.

OS X was based off of NEXT, which is Unix and can be traced back so many years of development.

So, google posts this vague promise of their OS in some blog. With no demos, videos or screen shots. Just a few paragraphs of a vague promise.

Why do you think Google wants to do this? The answer is already in front of you. With Google starting to take off the beta tags on all their web based apps now the most likely want to market an Internet device (phone, tablet, netbook, etc) that runs their OS and integrates all of their web based apps into one piece of hardware they can sell.

This will not be a contender against OS X, Linux, Windows, or Unix. It will be a niche item for a specific purpose.
+1, except that last sentence there, that could prove wrong in the future, but for now i dont see it being any osx/linux/windows killer, since it actually is just linux more or less from what it sounds like.

mep916

Administrator
Staff member
At the end of the day, regardless of the market share Google obtains or the hardware this OS runs, it's good to see a company with a lot of money and clout release something new, to take a risk. The fact that it's open source is even better. If it fizzles before reaching the desktop market, oh well, at least they tried. It's an ambitious project, and they have the brains and cash to make it work.

Motoxrdude

thought they alerady had one called GOS? or Google OS? :D

Yeah, it's a linux distro called google OS, but it isn't actually google's. It is just based on a lot of google apps.

Google has been talking of making an OS for a looooooong time. TBH, I don't expect to see anything real substantial for at LEAST 5 years, probably even longer.

tlarkin

VIP Member
Google has Andriod which is an OS made for hand held devices like smart phones. It is a separate project to the Chrome OS.

Aastii

VIP Member
woah woah woah, i think google may be pulling major bs here. Yea they are bringing out an OS, but can somebody please explain this to me:

It's been an exciting nine months since we launched the Google Chrome browser

the operating systems that browsers run on were designed in an era where there was no web

so the internet was invented within the last 9 months and mac, windows, linux etc haven't responded :confused: ?

What planet are the fellas at google on here?

tlarkin

VIP Member
woah woah woah, i think google may be pulling major bs here. Yea they are bringing out an OS, but can somebody please explain this to me:

so the internet was invented within the last 9 months and mac, windows, linux etc haven't responded :confused: ?

Google is a very exciting and cutting edge company. They have some really cool and crazy projects. They also, I think are a bit arrogant. Then again I would probably brag about my job too if I worked for Google. Maybe, just maybe, some day I will work with Google on some project but I don't do a lot of web stuff, as of yet.

bomberboysk

no. they are saying windows, osx, etc were created before the internet, chrome os is supposedly a highly cloud based os from what it sounds like.

PohTayToez

Just a lightweight linux distro with Google apps installed and quick bootup....

Well yeah, basically. You make it sound simplified, but I think that's what the netbook market needs right now.

My guess is that Google is doing this simply to get their foot in the door of the OS market. Windows 7 is still on the bulkier side for netbook use, so there is an opening right now for an ultra-light operating system. Over the next few years netbooks will undoubtedly get more powerful and that opening will go away, but if Google experiences some success with this OS then they will have the opportunity to launch an OS targeted at any computer later on.

Shane

Super Moderator
Staff member
I cant wait for this,Im going to install it on my Netbook,Has anyone read the whole details of it? Whens it due to be released for BETA?

tlarkin

VIP Member
Yes it is going to be heavily based on cloud computing, which like I said earlier and I think it won't be anything ground breaking.

tremmor

i find it hard to believe Google developing a operating system that is secure.
Microsoft has a hard enough time keeping up let alone keeping it secure. yes ....this will be interesting. and then the constant updates, critical, security or and support for hardware.

D@RKSID3

Did i read wrong, because i read some where that Microsoft bought google. So wouldn't that make the google OS just another form of windows? If you know what i mean. They would be just another OS from the company.

mep916

Administrator
Staff member
Did i read wrong, because i read some where that Microsoft bought google. So wouldn't that make the google OS just another form of windows? If you know what i mean. They would be just another OS from the company.

No. They were aggressively pursuing Yahoo, but that deal never went through, as far as I know. Google is recognize as MS' chief competitor, which is why this is sorta considered big news

D@RKSID3

Oh, cool then, I'm a fan of Windows 7 but would be all for a competitors OS, not a fan of the monopoly MS has on the market