Graphics Card Machine Failure

goranpaa

I really don't know, as I have'nt heard of any such modification using a spot cooler fan instead of a heatsink. It could go either way I recon? The risk is that you might fry the memory after a while.

But if you still decide to try this? Take some isoprophyl alcohol and a piece of a coffee filter and clean the memory chips / chips troughout from the thermal paste after removing the heatsink. Wipe the chips dry afterwards.

Last edited:

n64gk

my cpu is a socket AM2 not AM2+ this is advertised as AM2? is that not right?

and also does this have a PCIe 16x socket on it, as I need this for my new graphics card

goranpaa

Yes, socket AM2 and AM 2+ are compatible. I checked this out at Asus home for this particular board just to make sure.
Also this board support the Phenom quad core cpu's And Phenom II + have 1 PCIe 16X graphics slot.

goranpaa

Remember when you swap the motherboard that to avoid short cirquits. You need to remove any motherboard peg that wont fit the new boards screw holes. Or if the case have like integrated "bumps" instead for the mobo pegs? Securely tape over the ones not beeing used.

The easiest way to find out wich bumps or pegs that should be used? Is to place the motherboard on a A4 or A5 paper. Then outline the mobo with a pen and mark the screw holes. Then, place the paper in the case. Push a hard tipped marker pen thru the screw hole markings and rub som ink off on to the pegs or bumps.

Also, you need to replace the case I/O shield plate for the USB ports etc. for the the one that should come with the Asus mobo. This could be left out though if it's missing or won't fit? In the worst scenario.

Last edited:

goranpaa

as in the old motherboard pegs from the old case?

Yes, as the pegs comes with the case in question and not with any motherboard. When buying a new case, you will get a bag with quite many of these pegs and screws.

Last edited:

n64gk

well I removed the pegs from the case yesterday with a pair of pliers, and the case comes with layout instructions, being as this mobo is micro atx I can just screw the pegs back in and then screw the motherboard into those

goranpaa

Oh! I almost forgot to tell you that you need to replace the thermal paste ( and clean away the old one ) for the cpu when you swap the motherboard. And run the computer for while before you try to remove the CPU heatsink / fan combo. Othervice, you risk that the cpu are kinda glued to the heatsink.
And then it might happend that the cpu will be ripped out of the socket when you lift the heatsink. Arctic Cooling Ceramique or Arctic Cooling Silver 5 are good ones. But be careful getting any of it outside the cpu! Especially AC silver 5 as it's electrical conductive. Just place a blob of the thermal paste in the middle on top of the cpu, as big as a smaller pea. The pressure from the heatsink will spread it in a good way for you.

Also, if you check out the cpu on the down side where all these thin, golden contacts are. In one of the corners they are misssing. The cpu should be placed in the corresponding way into the cpu socket. Make sure that the cpu are all the way down by gently tapping it with a pen or similar before you lock it down with the socket lever and apply the paste. Be very careful not bending any of those golden contacts when you stick the cpu into the socket!

Last edited:

goranpaa

well I removed the pegs from the case yesterday with a pair of pliers, and the case comes with layout instructions, being as this mobo is micro atx I can just screw the pegs back in and then screw the motherboard into those

Yepp!

n64gk

yeah I replaced my thermal paste very recently and still have some left over, but thanks for the advice!!

goranpaa

You're welcome. Did you also read what I wrote about migrating the cpu to the new board? I added that just a little while after the thermal paste instruction.

Last edited: