Graphics Card Machine Failure

n64gk

Hi,

I have an urgent problem, i have recently bought a new nvidia geforce 8600 gt graphics card ( 1gb) and the other day i tried to run a game on it for the first time, ms flight simulator x, and as the game was 'loading terrain resources' the screen started flickering and then eventually the monitor said no video input received. I had a GPU temp monitor running at the time, which stated that it was running at 58 degrees, so i don't think it was an overheat issue. I then tried to boot the computer back up and i had very flickery video output, so i turned it off and went to bed, i got up this morning and turned it on, no video output at all, however the computer doesn't exhibit any other signs of error, i have tried using my old graphics card, running from inbuilt graphics, and resetting the CMOS. No avail, i have no idea what to do!

Please Help!

n64gk

goranpaa

Hi!

That is really a tuff problem!!! It could be that your power supply have gone down the bin. :(

Btw. check for any burnt areas or leaking capasitators on the motherboard too.

Last edited:

n64gk

Hiya!

Thanks for replying so fast! I've tried pulling the bios battery already, no joy. What wouyld be the signs of a dead PSU?

goranpaa

Hiya!

Thanks for replying so fast! I've tried pulling the bios battery already, no joy. What wouyld be the signs of a dead PSU?

You're welcome.

Well, unfortunatly it's not easy to tell in this case without testing it with a multimeter, connector for connector. If your computer had been in the state of not fireing up at all? Then you likely would have been able to see if the psu had kicked the infamous bucket? By looking at the psu fan or feel if there where any air coming out from it at the back of the case.

Last edited:

n64gk

The computer seems absolutely fine, other than the lack of output, it powers on, fans whir, no other bad signs

goranpaa

The last resort would be to bite the lemon and replace the psu anyway. Corsair psu's are good ones for example. A 600 - 700 W will give you some future upgrade headroom.
A modular psu, will reduce the cable clutter noticeable.

goranpaa

The computer seems absolutely fine, other than the lack of output, it powers on, fans whir, no other bad signs

Ok. and you can't see any burnt areas or leaking capasitators on the motherboard? Look extra closely at the area around the graphics slot.

Besides this and eventually a flaky psu. I can't unfortunatly give you any leads for the moment at least.

how much is one of those likely to cost me?

If you are from the USA?

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=7564403&CatId=1483

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=7564404&CatId=2533

Btw. I hope that your case are a normal sized mid tower or a big tower case? If it's a tiny micro atx case? These psu's won't likely fit.

Last edited by a moderator:

goranpaa

Now I have to leave the forum for the moment. Will check this tread out in the eve though.

how do i find out my case size, eg if i need an ATX psu?

Is this is a prebuildt pc? Then go the manufacturers home site and check the measurements out.

Or measure your case first.

Then go here and compaire your case to the cases that they have:

http://www.newegg.com/Computer-Cases/Category/ID-9

Any luck finding out the case size?

n64gk

no, but i havent really tried as of yet, as i really dont think its a PSU issue, ive been trying to find other explanations... without success

goranpaa

Ok. But I still think it's the psu. OR eventually the motherboard itself? And either way? If you get a qualty psu now? You can use that later on if you build a new rig. And then have saved yourself some bucks in the process in the long run.

My Corsair HX psu are now feeding my second rig since I bought this psu 5 years ago. So spreading out the cost over these years it have been cheap.

Last edited:

n64gk

yeah i think that's probably a good call, also there are no blown capacitors on the board (just to let you know) and also what would be the signs of a faulty PSU, also i cant find any info on beep codes for my board/bios (i dont really know what to look for)

goranpaa

Leaking capasitators could be for some different reasons really. One of them could be a bad psu though.

A faulty psu, can not feed the hardware as it should and then they / it wont run at all or just by chanse for a short while. A bad psu, can even fry hardware in the worst scenario.

Ok. But do you know the brand and the model of your motherboard? Othervice, look around the edges of it. There should be some sort of a printed label or a sticker there. For example: Gigabyte = brand GA-970A-DS3P = model.

When you have found that out. It should be possible to find out what kind of bios it have got by Google some. And then look at Google again for the beep codes.

Last edited:

n64gk

i know the model of my computer, and also the BIOS ive tried looking for engraving on the MOBO for what model it is, i cant find any??

n64gk

cheers, its an Asus T3-P5G31 Mini Tower Barebone Personal Computer

does that help