"GRLDR cannot be found" in bootup

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
That file belongs to the grub boot loader. So it seems linux was installed on that machine at one point. You would have to delete all linux partitions if any were left. And then fix the xp boot loader. Do you have an XP install cd?

jimtr6

I have the original OS disk, I did a fresh format and install a little over a year ago and all I used was the OS disk, no Linux that I'm aware of. If the GRUB loader isn't found and it's responsible for loading my OS (which is loading and running apparently normal), then what program is loading my OS, what advantage is GRUB, quicker

Last edited:

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Sorry for not responding back.

Check disk management to see what disk partitions are there. Can you post an image of disk management? Most likely they aren't very big at all.

You can use the xp install cd by using recovery console to rebuild xp's boot loader.

Boot to the install cd, access recovery console. At the command prompt type the following and hit enter after each entry.

fixmbr
fixboot

Exit out of recovery console and reboot system.

But do not do this until you post the screenshot of disk management.

jimtr6

thanks for your reply, under disk management all I have is listed in order the following
(C: Partition Basic NTFS Healthy (System) 465.75 GB 447.30 GB 96% No 0%

Last edited:

jimtr6

when I boot to the CD will "Recovery Console" come up as one of my options? Or does "Repair" come up or some other choice that will take me to "Recovery Console", I do appreciate your help!

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
Yes, just rebuild the boot menu.

Since you can still boot into Windows, you can always download and use BCDEdit to rebuild the boot menu.

jimtr6

as I'm not really up on this it would help if I understood the basic bootup operation and sequence, of what I've read this is what I gather.... does GRLDR take the place of MBR or Ntldr. Is GRLDR an alternative OS loader whereas not all computers have GRLDR. Seeing that i get the "cannot find GRLDR" but my computer boots up anyway it must be using another OS loader.

jimtr6

I read it the best I could, they tried to keep it simple but it still lost me towards the end, should I make a recovery disk they show at the bottom of the page?

voyagerfan99

Staff member
No you don't need to make a recovery disk.

Forget EasyBCD then. Just do this.

Inserting your Windows XP install CD
Restart your computer and boot from the CD
Press any key to boot from the CD
Press R when you reach the Windows Options menu to access Repair Console
Enter your Administrator password
Enter the following command when Command Prompt appears:
bootcfg /rebuild
Remove the install CD
Restart your computer

jimtr6

thanks, I'm gonna go with that, one thing, seeing I don't know of any password, do I just hit enter or is the a default password?

voyagerfan99

Staff member
If there is no password, then just press enter. If there's a password, it will error out on you.