GTX 680 under load temps

ChrisUlrich

What are you guys getting? nVidia boost is on. But it is so much hotter than my GTX 570 was. Playing wow @ 2560x1440 my temps go up to 68C! My 570 would only get to 58. Fan speed is at 70%

claptonman

What exact 570 did you have before? My 570 was idling at 60c, but my 670 is getting towards 80c. That's because my 570's cooler was much better.

ChrisUlrich

eVGA. Precision X to put fan speeds at 70%. I now have the eVGA GTX 680 SC Signature. No idea what the signature means but I figured it would be cooler since I have the backplate on this bad boy.

G80FTW

I see a max of 82c on my card. I also have the backplate. 42c idle.

GPUs can go up to 120c. Even some CPUs can go up past 120c before taking damage. Though if they do, there is a problem somewhere.

Okedokey

I see a max of 82c on my card. I also have the backplate. 42c idle.

GPUs can go up to 120c. Even some CPUs can go up past 120c before taking damage. Though if they do, there is a problem somewhere.

There is no way id run anything at 120oC. Thats simply stupid.

My 580s went to 98oC within about 10 minutes full fans during summer.

I think thats either close or over the junction max T.

Watercooled is now 40s and 50s.

G80FTW

There is no way id run anything at 120oC. Thats simply stupid.

My 580s went to 98oC within about 10 minutes full fans during summer.

I think thats either close or over the junction max T.

Watercooled is now 40s and 50s.

I was just saying that that is about the temperature that the chip can handle before sustaining damage. I have had a processor go up to nearly 140c with no damage and CPUs generally have a lower threshold than GPUs.

Basically, I was saying that all the temperatures listed here are well within safe operating temperatures. However, it is true that heat does shorten the life of the chip so the cooler the better..

Okedokey

I was just saying that that is about the temperature that the chip can handle before sustaining damage. I have had a processor go up to nearly 140c with no damage and CPUs generally have a lower threshold than GPUs.

Basically, I was saying that all the temperatures listed here are well within safe operating temperatures. However, it is true that heat does shorten the life of the chip so the cooler the better..

Im sorry mate, but if you run a GPU above 90oC for extended periods you will kill it. Its equivalent to a crappy psu in terms of risk, probably moreso.

linkin

VIP Member
From there nvidia website:

Thermal and Power Specs:
97 CMaximum GPU Temperature (in C)
170 WMaximum Graphics Card Power (W)
500 WMinimum System Power Requirement (W)4
Two 6-pinSupplementary Power Connectors

G80FTW

Im sorry mate, but if you run a GPU above 90oC for extended periods you will kill it. Its equivalent to a crappy psu in terms of risk, probably moreso.

Im not saying you wont. In fact, I said just what you said.

And I guess they dont make things like they used to, because older video cards had a max temperature threshold of 120c.

FuryRosewood

I havent ran heaven yet, but i could do a furmark burn in to see what temps i get, that would probably be more effective.

Just ran furmark for 15 min, after about 7 it hit a peak of 71C, and then dropped back off to 70 the rest of the run. Idle is 32C.

Last edited:

jonnyp11

Im not saying you wont. In fact, I said just what you said.

And I guess they dont make things like they used to, because older video cards had a max temperature threshold of 120c.

according to nvidia my 470 can hit like 105C max i think it was. I'm wondering if it has to do with the smaller dies, less room for heat dissipation, so it heats more of it faster so it would melt sooner.

checked and it is 105, weird thing is the oem 600's say 102C but the regular 600's say 98C, makes sense in a way but why have 2 different production lines since one would have to be a little different when you could produce them all the same way and save the chunk getting the machines different pieces

Last edited:

G80FTW

according to nvidia my 470 can hit like 105C max i think it was. I'm wondering if it has to do with the smaller dies, less room for heat dissipation, so it heats more of it faster so it would melt sooner.

checked and it is 105, weird thing is the oem 600's say 102C but the regular 600's say 98C, makes sense in a way but why have 2 different production lines since one would have to be a little different when you could produce them all the same way and save the chunk getting the machines different pieces

You may be right. But I wouldnt worry about it melting haha. I think the actual melting temperature of silicon is like 1,500c or something. But it would certainly damage the transistors long before that.

FuryRosewood

Watching my 600 do furmark it seemed like the driver was paying attention to the thermal temperature of the device and adjusting the clockrate accordingly. Most of the time though the gpu was running at 1175mhz.