GTX 960 and Intel Core 2 duo E8500

Discussion in 'Video Cards and Monitors' started by Andrew Cotten, Sep 8, 2018.

1. Andrew Cotten

Andrew Cotten New Member

I was wondering if a Nvidia GTX 960, Intel core 2 duo E8500 and a 8gb ram will run games such as gta v?

2. beers

beers Moderator Staff Member

Slowly.

Andrew Cotten likes this.
  3. Andrew Cotten

Andrew Cotten New Member

What do you mean by slowly? I’m new to all this technological stuff... do you mean fps wise and if so how much would I be running? Thanks.

4. johnb35

johnb35 Administrator Staff Member

GTA 5 recommends a quad core while you only have a dual core. You probably won't get very good fps with the 960.

5. beers

beers Moderator Staff Member

Time to upgrade the whole PC really.

6. Andrew Cotten

Andrew Cotten New Member

How so? I’m new to all the technological stuff
    those are what I just bought, I’m on a buddget but will it not run good on anything? Or did I just waste my money?... hopefully not.

7. johnb35

E8500 is 10 year old hardware. If you are on a budget, there are better cpu's out there that probably would have costed the same. How much did you spend on this "system"?

8. Andrew Cotten

Andrew Cotten New Member

I bought everything separate, a buddy of mine said it was a really good processor, he gave it to me for 7 bucks. I have already had a desktop, but it was really old so I got a 500w PSU, GTX 960, 8gb ram, and that processor to replace the stuff inside. Should I get a different processor?

9. johnb35

You'll need more then a new processor unfortunately. What motherboard do you have?

10. Andrew Cotten

Andrew Cotten New Member

Model: 07N90W

11. johnb35

The Dell Vostro 230 only supports the following cpu's. You should be looking for the Q series. If you can use this temporarily and save up for a better system, you'll definitely need it. Also, if the vostro is a slim tower case, you'll need a low profile video card. Some 960's are, while others are not.

cpu support.png

Andrew Cotten likes this.
  12. Intel_man

Intel_man VIP Member

Surprisingly, the Q9650 and 9550 is pretty expensive on eBay. Not worth the $30-$50 price sellers are charging.

13. Andrew Cotten

Andrew Cotten New Member

Okay thanks a lot.