Hard drive failed -don't have windows disk

flashme18

Here is the short story..Hard drive failed, bought a new one and have no clue how to install it and have no windows disk. The local computer repair shop said I could call HP or Microsoft for a recovery kit and then he would install windows for me.

After a few phone calls I was told by one of the outsourced reps over in India, that the recovery kit another rep told me to order will not work on a non HP hard drive.(The drive I pulled out of the CPU was not made by HP!) I would have to buy an HP hard drive for over $300 and install that and the HP recovery kit. I couldn't install it on any hard drive I bought from say Best Buy. He then tried to sell me a new computer to save me money in the long run!

Have I just been completely lied to in an attempt to sell me a computer instead of the cheap repair kit for $31 that they don't sell anymore and is sold through other companies like computer surgeons.

I have a Compaq Presario SR1030NX that is a backup to my laptop which I need to send in for repair or replacement. I need the desktop fixed before I send the laptop in for repair/replacement.

Thanks.

flashme18

Thanks.

I cannot believe that this guy lied to me and was totally fabricating BS to try and get me to buy a computer. I was laughing why he tried to pull a fast one on me..especially when I said as far as I know HP doesn't make hard drives and the one I took out of the CPU was I think Seagate! What a douchenozzle.

flashme18

So I just called computer surgeons (they are the company that HP gave me the phone number for to order the kit) and they sold the last kit they will ever have available earlier today. He told me to buy a new computer. LOL. Who else can I get one from? Someone has to have it somewhere.

Is my luck that bad?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Welcome to the world of lies and deceit. Lol. Unfortunately that's how companies make their money. They don't want to sell you what you want but they will sell you what they want you to buy.

danthrax

That is a bummer... All the HP people I've ever dealt with have been hit or miss. They're either helpful and at least somewhat try to resolve your issue, or are a jerk that is trying to pull a fast one on you.

Which OS is it you need to get on your new hard drive?

flashme18

I had XP on the system..I'm not sure what I can use now though and I hate Vista on my laptop.

System has AMD Athlon XP 2.16GHZ, 512mb pc 2700 ram(omg thats so low!)
dvd+rw/cd-rw dvd writer drive plus another cd rom drive. The new hard drive I bought has 250GB. Its like 6 years old.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Unfortunately his machine only has a max memory of 1gb (2x512mb). So he will not be able to run windows 7.

My advice to you would be to either find a copy of XP somewhere or save up and build a new system.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
you only need 1gb to run 7.

Maybe for a minimum requirement but to run it efficiently you need 2-3 gb. Look at XP's minimum of 128mb of ram.... it took forever to do anything. 512mb was good, 1gb being even better, 2gb meaning you could practically do anything.

Do you want to waste your money on an old system like this to upgrade memory so you can barely craw through windows 7 or do you want to save and get a decent system to where you can run 7 efficiently?

flashme18

I only need to install windows on this computer to use it as a backup computer. I don't want to invest too much money in a backup system. I need to get my laptop fixed or replaced via warranty and have to mail it in. Its only for temporary use 1-2 months..however long to have them fix or replace my laptop and send it back.

danthrax

I only need to install windows on this computer to use it as a backup computer. I don't want to invest too much money in a backup system. I need to get my laptop fixed or replaced via warranty and have to mail it in. Its only for temporary use 1-2 months..however long to have them fix or replace my laptop and send it back.

Use Ubuntu then!

SoMeAm

Verified HP Representative
Hello flashme18,

Your recent posting regarding your HP SR1030NX issue caught my attention as I work for HP. We apologize for the support you received from HP and perhaps for some inaccurate information you were given. Yes, your Compaq is now outside of HP's support cycle. Therefore, HP will not be able to provide you with the recovery disks. One of our third parties should be able to provide them. If you still need the recovery disks, please respond to email [email protected] Attn: Priscilla with your contact information, product number of your SR1030NX, and the serial number. I look forward to assisting you in obtaining the recovery disks.

Regards,

SoMeAm
HP Social Media Ambassador

The views expressed in my contributions are my own and do not necessarily reflect
the views and strategy of HP

Doctor Varney

Never deal with companies who outsource their operations to India and the Far East. It will always end in tears.

If you can find a local dealer near to you, whom you can trust - it pays to support your local high street vendors. That's what community is all about. Better communication, better level of service and much easier to call people out if they do happen to do anything wrong.

If you purchase a working copy of Windows, then legally, you should be given the disk. One of the problems with companies like HP, Compaq and the like - is they have found some (so called) 'legitimate' way of selling you a pre-loaded system. This is wrong and tends to catch newcomers to computing, who don't know any better... and that is a shame.

An HP drive should be no different to any other brand of drive found in a PC. This talk of a so called 'recovery kit' is ludicrous. It is something the company have devised, in order to keep customers ignorant about how to maintain their own systems - and therefore dependant on their services.

I mean... It's not like it's a Macinstosh or anything! Even then, Apple offer you better aftercare service than this.

If your hard drive is broken, then you will need to replace it. No way should it cost you that much. You can use any brand of hard drive and you can get some good deals if you shop around. $300 for a hard drive, as you've recently discovered, is extortionate - if only after taking a quick look over at Best Buy.

So, you'll need a need a new hard drive and a copy of your chosen operating system. Forget 'kits' - that isn't real. This 'recovery kit' can only comprise Windows and the drivers which are needed to run the components used in the system - which you have already purchased. Now - do you have the drivers for your motherboard utilities on disk? If not, you have a right to demand copies of them on disk or you should be given the opportunity to download them from the company's website.

I had all this BS with Packard Bell, when I bought my first PC back in 1992. Never again will I deal with these despicable international companies.

I hope your situation works out. Best of luck.

Dr. V

Last edited:

flashme18

Okay, so I was able to get an OEM version of Windows XP. I have the new hard drive and when I turn on the computer, nothing shows up on the monitor whether the hard drive is connected or not. I have no idea whats wrong. Shouldn't something show up on the monitor to give you a starting point?

Doctor Varney

Er... yes. You should see the command prompt. Do you at least see a blinking cursor? Did any of the LEDs on the keyboard light up when you turned the machine on? Check that your monitor connections are secure. Can you get the DVD drive open to put the disk in? You need to hit delete as the machine starts up to get into the BIOS. From there, you must set the boot priority to read from the DVD drive. As you exit the BIOS, the formatting & installation process should kick straight in.

If none of this helps, we'll need someone more knowledgable to advise.

Dr. V

Last edited: