hard drive help

Bigshow1030

I am not sure if this is where I need to put this particular question so I apologize in advance if it is in the wrong place. I have used a boot disk to go in and remove the old partition in my harddrive and then I have put a new partition in it and then formated it and that worked fine. I put my windows xp disc in to start putting windows on there and that starts great and then about 2 minutes into it it comes up with a error message that states :
USBEHCI.SYS is corrupted press key to continue, so I do that and then it says Setup Failed press key to reboot computer and then it does it all over again the same way......went through this about 4 times.......

Can anyone shed some light on this or possible cure for the problem

P.S.-I installed 3 different hard drives and it did this on every single one of them :confused:

Geoff

VIP Member
maybe your boot disc is corrupt or scratched? Is it the actual Windows XP CD, or a recovery cd?

Bigshow1030

help

if anyone can shed any light on this subject please I am open to any suggestion.....I would just like to know what that warning means...... :(

Bigshow1030

alright

thanks chrom.......What is the beststuff to clean a cd with? Also, would it be better to use a dvd rom or cd rom to put windows on a computer? :confused:

tweaker

VIP Member
Bigshow1030 said:
I put my windows xp disc in to start putting windows on there and that starts great and then about 2 minutes into it it comes up with a error message that states: USBEHCI.SYS is corrupted press key to continue, so I do that and then it says Setup Failed press key to reboot computer and then it does it all over again the same way......went through this about 4 times.......

Can anyone shed some light on this or possible cure for the problem

Many cd-roms of the cheaper kind gives these kind of errors when installing the os even though they might work just great when reading other cd's. Try another cd-rom and your problem will most likely be gone.

Bigshow1030 said:
would it be better to use a dvd rom or cd rom to put windows on a computer?

Doesn't matter.

Last edited:

Bigshow1030

no

I have looked up on the internet and it is a usbdriver issue. However, is there a way to shut that off completely? I don't understand because I have installed windows xp on so many computers it isn't funny and I have never encountered this problem :(

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
To clean CDs I usually use some vinagar and a soft cloth. It's not really a usb driver issue. It's an issue copying the USB driver from the CD to harddrive as a part of the install process.

Bigshow1030

hmmm

well I used a brand new xp cd and it did not work either........however, I used the same cd on another computer and everything went smooth as silk...It is really starting to bother me :mad:

Bigshow1030

ok

:) a good buddy of mine suggested that I may need to flash the bios or upgrade them......my question in doing this will it take the error corruption message away during windows xp installation?

Bigshow1030

got any hints

did you read the initial problem that i am having with the USBEHCI.sys file or whatever on earth it is called...........This problem is killing me :)

Bigshow1030

yeah

the problem that I can't figure out is that I also tried using a "brand new" windows xp professional disc.......puts everyother file on there fine.....just that one damn file that is killing me :(

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
Ok, I'll say this one last time: change the CD drive, not the Windows CD and not the hard drive

Bigshow1030

yeah

listen here chromer......changed the cd file and it worked like a charm....now, get off your high horse and deflate your head :p

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
well its was the 3rd time I suggested it and tweaker said it as well and you were convinced it was a USB issue after it was suggested multiple times that it was a cd drive problem
I have looked up on the internet and it is a usbdriver issue
when its the 4th time (posts 5, 7, 13, and finally 17) the solution has been suggested before you try it people get annoyed (especially me, I hate pretty much everything :p).

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Doesn't matter.
Sometimes it does, depends on the core logic chip of the drive. (of course common sense would suggest, uh, try it)

listen here chromer......changed the cd file and it worked like a charm....now, get off your high horse and deflate your head
Now you listen here .... numerous people have suggested you TRY A DIFFERENT DRIVE. Everyone already knows it has little to do with the disc -- and a perfectly working disc wont work worth crap if the drive is shot. So before you go vent on someone for being useful, at least consider their suggestion.

Ill leave this thread open for now.