Hard Drive problems

Treek

On crystaldisk it says my harddrive has a Currently Pending Sector Count of 8, all other values are at 0. Was wondering how I can fix the currently pending sectors?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
What brand of drive do you have? You are better off running the drive manufacturers disk diagnostic program to determine if drive is healthy.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Either Drive Fitness Test or Western Digital Diagnostics should work. I would run it in dos though not windows. Download hirens boot cd ISO and create a bootable cd, both programs are on there.

Treek

Can you paste the crystaldiskinfo screenshot for reference?
2rwba1e.png

Either Drive Fitness Test or Western Digital Diagnostics should work. I would run it in dos though not windows. Download hirens boot cd ISO and create a bootable cd, both programs are on there.
I used Western Digital Data Lifeguard Diagnostics because WinDFT wasn't working that's the correct one for WD right?
Just ran S.M.A.R.T check and it says currently pending sector is 0?
But on Crystaldisk and HD Tune Pro both say currently pending sector is 8? Why's that?

Last edited:

beers

Staff member
Usually a 'repair' of bad sectors is reallocating them. Since you have pending reallocations that generally means the drive has issues allocating those extra sectors.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
I would replace the drive since western digital software couldn't actually repair the drive. Once you start getting bad sectors you'll continue to get them.

JaredDM

There is no such thing as "repairing" a drive with S.M.A.R.T. errors related to pending/uncorrectable sectors. The media is degrading and it'll only get worse over time until it fails. Anything that "repairs" it is actually just masking the problem so it doesn't nag you until it gets even worse.