Hardcore Gaming PC

Fury

Make new thread, please...

dar2lit said:
I am a new member and wanted to get some information or suggestion about this computer that I want to buy. Would like to know what you all think?

Hi Dar2lit

I fully understand that you want some help... but on the other hand I find it rude to use my thread for it, as you will turn the attention towards another subject than the original. I will ask you to make a new thread, to get help with this computer, that you're planning to buy. I shall myself be glad to help anytime.

Back to original subject:

I've changed a bit in my setup, and I'm thinking about buying another Mobo: Asus Nvidia Nforce 4 Ultra (A8N-E). I've seen some bad reviews about this whole SLI-thing + I fear that there will soon be SLI-Mobo's that can have two 16x PCI-E running at the same time, instead of 8x as it is now. And that would outconquer the current SLI models totally.
I've also decided to buy an Antec SmartPower 450 PSU instead of the Q-tec. It should do quite a job. At least that's what the reviews say.

~Simon

Fury

Experience...

So, does anyone has experience, or at least an oppinion about me changing my Motherboard?

~Simon

Fury

SLI is more expensive...

It's the A8N-E that is cheapest. The SLI is just about 50$ more expensive!

~Simon

Last edited:

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
ASUS a8n-sli
either get the premium model (which worked out the issues of the non-premium one) or better yet, get a MSI K8n neo4 sli platinum [$180] class motherboard. realistically you should prolly consider something like the MSI K8n neo4 platinum [$130] or if you're insistant on sli, the MSI K8n neo4/sli [$125]

q-tec 400w, dual fan, low noise
cant read the amperage ratings on that... but considering the rest of the system... its a pos. have a look in PSU 101 for suggestions.

Rip_Uk

hmm

Fury said:
I've seen some bad reviews about this whole SLI-thing + I fear that there will soon be SLI-Mobo's that can have two 16x PCI-E running at the same time, instead of 8x as it is now.

i orderd a msi k8n diamond sli and these boards can have 2 16x pci-e.

Rip_Uk

oh sorry, i should of read it properly. when both cards are installed they run at 8X. sorry

Rip_Uk

on the reviews i read having two graphics cards running at 8x helps the frame rate for the more demanding games like bf2. But sli are not much more expensive boards and if you dont want to have 2 pci-e cards you can just have one running at 16x.

MatrixEVO

Better parts...

If your budget could handle it, then I would select some better parts for your machine, because you described some good parts, but some could be better and it would be worth it.

Rick G

Your change in mobos is very good. I personally prefer Abit but Asus is OK.
I have the same case except in alluminium and I cut out my own side window.
If its ok with the budget, check out the Thermaltake Shark case, that would do your system better justice. Don't scrimp on the Ram, go with OCZ, not value ram. You will probably be ok with the 450 watt psu, I prefer to go overkill and would get a 500.

4W4K3

VIP Member
elmarcorulz said:
X1800, never heard of that. and a google search found nothing either.

"Our friends at HKEPC has gotten themselves a R520 card and it will probably be officially known as Radeon X1800 when launch in early October. Interestingly, there are 16, 24 and 32 pipes versions but there are only 10 pieces of the 32 pipes versions exist currently.

The core clock of the card is 650Mhz+ and memory at 1400Mhz. The R520 card uses 1.26ns GDDR3 memories. The 32 pipes R520 performance will exceed the GeForce 7800GTX."

2nd Google listing. Good job :p

4W4K3

VIP Member
lol its cool. i have never heard of it either as being called an X1800. But i've heard of the r520 cores forever. (or is it r250?)

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
2. the PSU is a very old one, from my old machine, so i don't know where to get any more detailed information on it. it has always performed extremely well. i just want to know if you think that a 400w can pull a setup like this.
read it off the PSU itself. it it doesnt list the specs then its not worth having. some suggestions and for what to look for, have a look at PSU 101.

$164 would get you a decent card. 6600GT.
thats if you consider a 6600GT decent. i think a "fair" definition of "decent" would be "midrange performance" and given the 7800GTX at one end of the spectrum, that throws things off.

i'll just pretend i know what im talking about and tell you what everone else says.

its not just the watts, it the rails in the power supply too
brutally honest

would like to know what you all think?
1. i am curious as to why the lights are listed before the system is
2. dont bother with Sony opticals, some better ones in CD/DVD 101.

I Don't think i would go for a stock HSF, get like a silent tower.. other than that it looks very good.
Any reason why?

It's the A8N-E that is cheapest. The SLI is just about 50$ more expensive!
Then dont buy from ASUS. For starters you'll be doing yourself a favor for K8/K9 boards as ASUS hasnt lived up their past reputation with them.

... ah for crying out loud i already replied here before...

Lets stay on topic here :)

Inquirer said:
Nvidia knows that ATI can no ship many R520 XT's running at 600/1400MHz and therefore won't get into relaunching a new faster clocked G70 chip. The G70 Ultra was supposed to be a faster version of G70 card based on existing 110 chip, just clocked faster.