Hate windows 7

jacobi239

Hi,
Is their a way to go back to xp windows and outlook express from W-7?
I've had this W-7 abput 4 months and I've had more problems then I had
with xp for 8 years.Maybe I'm wrong but I'm convinced it not moving ahead.
I'd like some comments on this.

spirit

Staff member
Yeah you need to get a copy of XP and format your hard drive and then install XP onto it.

tremmor

7 works well. Had xp pro for yrs. Now using 7 pro. Whats the problem?
Like it better. Just does more. even faster.

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
Your computer manufacturer most likely does not provide device drivers for XP. Besides XP is old and outdated. 7 is far superior.

jacobi239

Hi,
Thanks guys,
I guess I have to stay with W-7 hp due to update to. Tremmer- It seem my browsers are slow to respond and
I get a 404 error quite often and I miss the outlook express email,that seemed to be way neater and more things
to do simply. That google & wildblue email I don't care for. Thanks again for all the comments

DMGrier

VIP Member
I can understand leaving Windows 7 for Linux or OSX but XP? I will go with user error because windows 7 is far better then any version of XP.

Dngrsone

VIP Member
If you really want to ditch Win 7, then I'd suggest going to a Linux like Ubuntu or Lubuntu (which has a Win 2k feel to it). These operating systems will work with your modern hardware but may run a little faster than Win 7 does.

Of course, there is a learning curve there, which may be the problem you are experiencing right now trying to figure out how to use 7 after many years of XP comfort...

strollin

If the OP is disliking Win 7 due to a learning curve, suggesting Linux is not a good solution since Win 7 is closer to XP in operation than any distro of Linux I've used.

I have to switch back and forth between Win XP and Win 7 in my daily work at my job and I much prefer Win 7.

As others have said, the 404 errors you are seeing aren't really related to the OS so you may have some other issues there.

I never used Outlook express for mail but on Win 7 I use Windows Live Mail and it works great for me. It's a free download for Win 7.

ayan

you need some sanity. Unless you are having problems with the amount of ram available and the computing power of the processor, than you really should stick with the windows 7, because it has more powerful libraries. I've been a long combatant against w7 until i got it. (i installed it because visual studio 2010 won't run on xp). If you don't have problems with the power of your computer, then i really think that the problem lies between the screen and the chair.

OvenMaster

VIP Member
I am so glad I kept my XP install with a dual boot setup. My screen capture software and Nero Suite 6 won't run on Win7, and I dare say Folding@Home is slower on 7, too. XP runs anything I throw at it. Not Win7. I prefer Outlook Express to Thunderbird. A full Avira AV system scan takes about three and a half hours with Win7, rather than just 80 minutes with XP. I had to add a real Network Activity Indicator, ShellFolderFix, ShellMenuNew. and Classic Start Menu to get a real Start menu back and have Windows remember the size and placement of Explorer windows. I had to do some work to get Quick Launch back. The constant UAC popups are an annoyance. And ClearType is a $#%@ing headache-inducing joke.

Newer doesn't always mean better. I paid $85 for an OEM disc. That's high enough.

Last edited:

DMGrier

VIP Member
If the OP is disliking Win 7 due to a learning curve, suggesting Linux is not a good solution since Win 7 is closer to XP in operation than any distro of Linux I've used.

I have to switch back and forth between Win XP and Win 7 in my daily work at my job and I much prefer Win 7.

As others have said, the 404 errors you are seeing aren't really related to the OS so you may have some other issues there.

I never used Outlook express for mail but on Win 7 I use Windows Live Mail and it works great for me. It's a free download for Win 7.

I would say Ubuntu is easier to use then Windows. I watched this weekend as my 15 year old sister jumped on my laptop who does not even know what Linux is and is no pro when is comes to computers and I watched her jump on the web and listen to music with banshee on my computer with no problem.

StrangleHold

Staff member
If all your doing is on the web or music. Doesnt really matter what OS your running. Kinda of a no brainer with any OS. Start digging deeper then your talking differences.

DMGrier

VIP Member
If all your doing is on the web or music. Doesnt really matter what OS your running. Kinda of a no brainer with any OS. Start digging deeper then your talking differences.

considering that is what 90% of pc users do it pretty much justify itself. I mean for me I find it easier to hook up to things using Ubuntu like hooking up to a hdmi TV cause it just works, or how my wife has to install extra drivers for her HP printer but on my Ubuntu machine it just works. How about WMP has issues syncing album art to my wifes android phone were as banshee does a much better job at it. I could keep on going but no point, I use Ubuntu not because I think windows is a horrible OS but because Ubuntu does things a lot faster and easier, less steps to get things done.

Okedokey

I mean for me I find it easier to hook up to things using Ubuntu like hooking up to a hdmi TV cause it just works, or how my wife has to install extra drivers for her HP printer but on my Ubuntu machine it just works.

Really? Looking here it appears that it has a long way to go! Lol, so they've got past command line requirements?

I use Ubuntu not because I think windows is a horrible OS but because Ubuntu does things a lot faster and easier, less steps to get things done.

Really? Windows 7 is by far the most stable, supported and user friendly OS ever build for the home user. Every single independent review I have ever read regarding Linux etc is "its great, but not ready for the prime time".

May have to revisit it if I'm wrong...

Last edited:

strollin

I would say Ubuntu is easier to use then Windows. I watched this weekend as my 15 year old sister jumped on my laptop who does not even know what Linux is and is no pro when is comes to computers and I watched her jump on the web and listen to music with banshee on my computer with no problem.
Whether Ubuntu is harder or easier to use than Windows has nothing to do with what I said. It was suggested that the OP didn't like Win 7 due to the learning curve. I contend there is less of a learning curve to go from XP to W7 then there is to go from XP to Ubuntu.

Last time I checked, there were very few wifi adapters that worked with Ubuntu straight off which usually requires one to mess around with ndiswrapper to get a working wifi driver. All Linux distros seem to work well with the the built-in ethernet ports but getting wifi working on a laptop usually takes some tinkering. That's just one example of why I feel that Linux is pretty good but not quite ready for prime time and why I wouldn't recommend it to non-geeks.

Dngrsone

VIP Member
Just as a note; *buntu is very much improved in the area of wifi drivers specifically.

Let's not turn this into a penguin vs pane issue. What we are talking about are engines: some engines fit into some cars better than others. Some will not fit into a certain chassis no matter what you do to it.

Now, if you want to put an engine of a certain power, utility, and economy into your car, then you might shop around and decide which one will work for you. If you don't like shifting, then you will likely get an engine that has an automatic transmission. Regardless, unless the engine was preinstalled, there will be some work to install it correctly. Unless the engine was specifically designed for that car, there may some bugs to work out or work around.

Even if the engine was designed for that car, there may be 'features' that do not work the way you want them to, and you will have to change them or work around the features. Welcome to computers.

There are people who regard computers as tools, and there are those who see them as appliances. The tools group often reside in online help forums as the 'answer people' whereas the appliance gang are the customers, showing up to ask one or two questions and never come back once they see the answer(s) they want or fear.

The OP seems to be having browser or internet problems. Couple with that the lack of certain specific programs he was used to having in his old OS which may or may not have analogs in the new one (no one mentioned trying Thinderbird as an Outlook express replacement, for example).

I mentioned the learning curve, because I had one myself when transitioning away from XP to Vista and then Win 7 (both the latter OS' are geared to appliance people, more-or-less shutting out us tool users). I have a learning curve moving from Ubuntu 10.04 to 12.04-- it's the same as moving from a 1996 Camry to a 2006 Prius or from an electric stovetop to a gas one-- and it is to expected: progress requires learning. Life requires learning.

Last edited:

wolfeking

banned
so they've got past command line requirements?
I am not the most advanced user, but it is easy to use both 10.04.3 and 12.04 without touching the command line. At least if your hardware is supported out of the box. I have issues with Ethernet and wireless drivers on my desktop and M90 though. Never really tried to hunt down the drivers either as its not a requirement to do what I want it to.

DMGrier

VIP Member
I do use the command line but it is a choice, there is a GUI tool for just about anything including finding drivers in Ubuntu. You will notice that in the Linux community you will find some of there older school Linux users that only use command lines, I remember when I started on 8.04 when I would ask a question on line it was always a command.