HDD/SSD Drive Speed Thread

mep916

Administrator
Staff member
diskbench.jpg

Darren

Staff member
RAPID Mode? I never installed anything with my Evo drive, I just plugged it in and installed Windows on it.

spirit

Staff member
RAPID Mode? I never installed anything with my Evo drive, I just plugged it in and installed Windows on it.

It's part of the Samsung Magician software that you can download and install. Came on a CD with my Evo.

Geoff

VIP Member
As Jason said, it's included on the Samsung Magician software. It utilizes a portion of your RAM to increase speeds.

Virssagòn

VIP Member
Finally bought a lappy. I was on a low budget but got a great deal on a V3 722G from acer with a GTX 760M, i7 4710QM and a 1TB drive. I had a samsung evo laying around, so I installed the OS on that one :)

yNbaXAo.jpg

spirit

Staff member
I thought I heard once that it wore out the SSD significantly faster? Is there any truth to that?

All i can say is though,Don't leave rapid mode enable fo a long period of time..Windows got corrupted when i left mine on and i had to do a re-install.

It looks like it can lead to problems. I don't leave it on.

Leaderboard update coming soon guys. :good:

Geoff

VIP Member
I removed the RAID array I had and now have two single drives, here's the test from each one with RAPID mode disabled:

I'll still keep my RAID score though :)

spirit

Staff member
Leaderboard updated with the Samsung 840 EVO owning both the read and write leaderboards! :good:

spirit

Staff member
Here's an 850 Pro 256GB - first 850 Pro in the leaderboard I think!

Interesting to see that some people's 840 EVOs are faster. This 850 Pro beats my 840 EVO.

15733077211_58802158bb_b.jpg

kdfresh09

here are my 3 scores. one is my raid 0 ssd set up, one is my ramdisc. and the other is my single 1tb Seagate hard drive. I mus tsay that I am very impressed with the performance of the mechanical hard drive here. scores are pretty good I think

Attachments

• raid 0 ssd.jpg
    raid 0 ssd.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 65
  • ramdisk.jpg
    ramdisk.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 64
  • seagate st1000dm003 1tb hd.jpg
    seagate st1000dm003 1tb hd.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 64

spirit

Staff member
Scores up to December 7 2014 have been added! :good:

Interesting to see the WD Black and Raptor drives getting owned by the Seagate Barracudas and even my WD Green!

@kdfresh09, I am assuming that your RAM disk score is a 4GB RAM disk of the RAM in your signature? If you can confirm that for me (or if I'm wrong tell me the specs of the RAM used to make the RAM disk) then I'll add your score to the board. Thanks!