HDD/SSD Drive Speed Thread

Virssagòn

VIP Member
Also with rapid mode enabled...nice little feature. :)

jFOPppO.png

And can you use it all the time or does it also have disadvantages? Because this would change the world of ssds lol :D

spirit

Staff member
New leaderboards and graphs are up! Next update is due to be around the 24th.

'Post dem benchmarkz' guys. :p

Currency

Tested everything I have in this system. Sadly one 2TB WD drive's broken so I only tested one of them, not much of a score for the green, but the 840 EVO done well. Same as Shane's without RAPID but a hair faster with it ;)

Top two are the Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD with and without RAPID

840 EVO without RAPID
Samsung840EVOWORAPID250GBCrystalMark_zpsb17d672d.png

840 EVO with RAPID
840EVORAPID_zps10af2d1f.png

OCZ Vertex Plus 120GB SSD Sata 6GB/s, key's stick on my Razer keyboard, need to clean them. Messed up the notepad twice :(
OCZVertexPlus1200GBonSata6gbs_zps58ed63dc.png

WD Green, 2TB Sata 6GB/s,
WD2TBCrystalMark_zps26f3c635.png

@SmileMan, I only turned it on to run these speed tests. I completed the test without RAPID several times to attempt to get a higher score, but I figured I can't compete with Shane :(
Must be the controller, my Gigabyte board uses Intel controller chips for the Sata devices. Don't ask me how my writes are quicker, and the reads are slower. Can't figure that one out either.

I will test it on for some more testing, right now I installed a few games on the EVO with Win7 64bit and my random lag with Euro Truck Simulator 2 is gone, it was on the OCZ drive and my frames would go from 60 down to around 35 on Ultra settings. I knew when I built this system I may never use 16GB's of memory, but if I ever needed more than 8Gb's, at least I would have it. Since RAPID only requires 2GB's but will only use 25% or 1GB which comes first. When looking in the task manager under performance, you'll see the number of nonpaged memory usage higher when RAPID is turned on. I don't think it's going to hurt anything. So I'll take all the help I can get to have a faster system.

Last edited:

spirit

Staff member
I've only just seen these results. Thanks for posting the results. I see a new leaderboard is due so I'm going to create one now, thanks!

spirit

Staff member
New leaderboards are up! Keep posting benchmarks - you should all have at least one drive you can bench. ;)

Virssagòn

VIP Member
That RAPID feature, can you use it all the time? Even at boot? If so, no one has a reason to buy something else lol...

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
This drive will be going in my girlfriends Macbook once I get my new 180GB Intel 530.

mjqz.jpg

spirit

Staff member
Good stuff guys. I've been busy lately but I see a new leaderboard is due next Sunday. I'll get one up then. :good:

spirit

Staff member
Not been able to get the new scores on the leaderboard today, sorry. Been really busy! I'll get it done by next Saturday. :)

spirit

Staff member
Cheers for these Rob and Jay. I'll also post scores for some drives I've tested lately (and yes I know I am breaking my own rules by not providing a Notepad document with the drive info etc but you can be assured these are legit scores. ;) )

Stock 7200 RPM in a ThinkPad L540, SATA 6GB/s (will find model no. later)

14259789574_dfd768ff7b_o.png

Seagate 1TB SSHD 5400 RPM 8GB Cache Buffer (in a ThinkPad L540, SATA 6GB/s)

14073519029_469d695b9a_o.png

I will aim to update the leaderboard in the coming days. If I forget bump this thread. :good:

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
New Crucial M500 in my E6420.

168h1sm.jpg

I don't have the score from the Intel 530 this drive replaced, but it's a lot better than the OEM Samsung drive that came with the laptop.

mjqz.jpg

Last edited: