HDD/SSD Drive Speed Thread

beers

Staff member
Yo where's my SATA RAID trophy at :p

jEhjXcE.png

OmniDyne

SSD Bench.png

A testament to intelligent SLC caching and controller firmware despite using Micron 32-layer 384-Gbit 3D NAND. Interesting, especially looking back at the Samsung 850 Evo scores.

Last edited:

beers

Staff member
Didn't feel like buying a 970 evo/pro
Cost wise it's pretty down there imo, this 1 TB heatsinked one was like $130 from WD before Christmas. It's like, snappy and stuff. Samsung has been good but they have some other players finally on/near parity on cost and performance.

Intel_man

VIP Member
The 970 evo usually sports like a $30-$40 premium over here over the SN750 or equivalent competitors. I mean... based on the benchmarks I've seen, the 970 evo is definitely faster in some applications, but not enough to warrant the premium.

Intel_man

VIP Member
What are your temps at? Mine was hitting 70+ during the bench. It idles at 50 degrees. My random numbers seem low.

I swear my system seems snappier moving from the SX8200 Pro. I like the WD Dashboard, as well.
Honestly didn't even check. I'll have to run the tests again and keep an eye out for the temps.

That being said, the nand flash is best when its at higher temps. It's just the controller that hates the heat.

Intel_man

VIP Member
Pv9LFaA.png

Here you go. Mine doesn't have a heatsink. Although... disclaimer... it's housed behind a metal bracket on the Asus Z-390-E Strix board which has a thermal pad attached to the drive too. Dunno if that would make it worse or better.

Intel_man

VIP Member
I also noticed that if I cranked my GPU fan speed to max, it lowers the SSD temps down by a few degrees. Since the m.2 slot on my board is above the 1st pci-e x16 slot so the air coming from the gpu heatsink hits the mobo pcb and pushes air through the m.2 area.

Like under benchmark load, it was doing 43 degrees.

OmniDyne

They are DRAM-less but they actually don't utilize the host system memory for logical block addressing (often called host memory buffer, or HMB). Supposedly the controller hosts a sufficient amount of SRAM and/ or WD/ SanDisk developed a seriously legit pseudo SLC caching/ controller algorithm. Whatever they did, the SN550 doesn't fall victim to the same issues most DRAM-less SSDs do.

Last edited:

Intel_man

VIP Member
Hmmm... shame the SN550 isn't that cheap over here. At least not yet... I think they are routinely priced at around 10% cheaper than the SN750.

OmniDyne

Hmmm... shame the SN550 isn't that cheap over here. At least not yet... I think they are routinely priced at around 10% cheaper than the SN750.

Oh wow, they're significantly cheaper than the SN750 here. $50 to over $100 cheaper depending on the outlet. Looks like prices for the 750 are extremely inconsistent; pricing seems messed up or way overpriced.

OmniDyne

Forgot we had a 250GB EX900 sitting unused. This drive does use a DRAM-less HMB design, interestingly. Ran it in an NZXT N7 Z370 motherboard; that board is super finicky about anything to do with PCIe. It refuses to run an Intel 660p, two separate Adata S40Gs, and a GTX 1060, all of which currently run in different computers. It took the 9700K and an RX 580 without a problem ha.

HP EX900 250GB
EX900 Bench.png