Help building great games machine for $500?

spock0149

Hey folks,

I'm looking to upgrade my vastly out of date computer so that I can play all the new games (far cry 2, crysis etc...). My purpose is 100% gaming. I have a laptop for work.

Right now I have:
Processor: Intel Pentium 4 3.06 GHz.
Memory: 512Mb Ram
Motherboard: P4M80-M7 Biostar
Graphics Card:
Graphics card: nvidia GeForce FX5200
HardDrive: 110Gb

All very old....

So I am looking for advice on:

motherboard
processor
memory
CPU

Obviously advice that all works together smoothly with all the other devices...

I'd like to keep below $500. :)

Backwoods166

mobo -GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3L LGA 775 Intel P45 - 98.99
CPU -Intel Pentium E5200 Wolfdale 2.5GHz - 72.99
RAM -G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 - 52.99
GPU -HIS Hightech H467QT512P Radeon HD 4670 IceQ Turbo 512MB - 79.99
PSU -CORSAIR CMPSU-450VX 450W ATX12V V2.2 80 PLUS Certified - 69.99
HDD -Western Digital Caviar Black WD5001AALS 500GB 7200 RPM 32MB - 74.99
Optical -LITE-ON Black 22X DVD+R - 27.99

Total - 483.93

You come up with Operating system/case/monitor. If you wanted to upgrade anything go with a 4850 or 9800GTX GPU for about $60 bucks more. Have fun!

Twist86

I would suggest this since you like to game. Items with FS = Free Shipping.

Mobo $114 (($99.99 after mail in)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128359&Tpk=GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3R

2x2GB DDR2 800 4-4-4-12 - 44.99 FS

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231209

CPU 72.99 FS

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116072

250GB 16MB SATA HDD 49.99 FS
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136098

GPU4850 - $144.99 FS ($134.99 after mail in)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102770

PSU 650w $94.99 FS ($69.99 after mail in)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139005

Total price without rebates
$522.94 before shipping

Total Price With rebates
$472.94 before shipping

I use the motherboard and it is fantastic. Also allows you to upgrade to a quad-core later. Can run everything up to the Q9550 WITHOUT a bios update. Runs cool on the chipsets and I have loved it. I am a Gigabyte fan now.

Also with a 650w PSU it will ensure your future upgrades will be ok and it also prevents your PSU from running over 80% load which will make it last longer.

Upgrade your HDD for both higher cache = faster load and boot up/installs. Also most boards only have 1 IDE connector if any now a days. You can't run a rom drive + a hard drive on one.

SATA rom drives suck I use one so I should know....least with the HDD its not wasted money and you get a noticeable upgrade. Using a SATA HDD will allow you to reuse your old IDE Rom drives.

One thing to note is your case....you need to know what size it is mini/mid/full. The board I linked is for a mid/full sized tower. It will fit in either. But it wont fit in a mini case.
Also in a mini the new GPUs might not fit since they are pretty long.

Just some things for you to tell us + give some thought on.

Last edited:

spock0149

Jeeez....this info is awesome guys. Thanks a ton! Big thanks to Backwood and Twisty for even going the extra mile and providing me with the links and the price breakdown!! :)

The cool thing is my b-day is coming up in a couple of weeks so I could get half of this in gifts...yea, I'm in my thirties but everyone loves birthdays and it beats getting money.

I've been with a substandard system for too long and being finally done with grad school I think it's time to enjoy the 21st century somewhat.

I'll post up here what I actually buy...although its likely to be what you guys suggested.

I'll prob have more questions too...

Last edited:

spock0149

...ok, first question.

My current computer case is a Systemax SYX-P4M80.

Will this be sufficient for the upgrades that have been suggested or am I likely to need a new case.

(sorry if these questions sound retarded and obvious)

Twist86

...ok, first question.

My current computer case is a Systemax SYX-P4M80.

I can't find anything on it. Get a tape measure out and see how w/l/h case is.

Will this be sufficient for the upgrades that have been suggested or am I likely to need a new case.

My money is on new case since your PC is so old...if its a name brand bought PC then yes you will for sure they only use mini-atx.

(sorry if these questions sound retarded and obvious)

Well obvious yes...but we are geeks.....retarded is not reading/asking before buying.

A good case will last you several years so you save cash buying bigger.

I bought my Antec 900 which is a high airflow/quality case for $60 on Black Friday. Sadly now its 100+ shipping.

I did however use this case for a while and it did a FANTASTIC job once I added some fans to it.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811156090

You can see what I did with it in my album here.
http://www.computerforum.com/members/twist86-albums-pc-case.html

Note I did a lot of easy changes to it. I don't use any PCI items so I cut 2 of the "holdings" off and put a 80mm fan for my GPU.
I then added 1 120mm fan above my rom drive for my CPU (I since then added a fan cover so it looks better) I also turned my hard drive around so all those wires are hidden.

I walked the 24 pin up the side of the drive cage to make it look less cluttered. Above the front of the case I used a small piece of metal to "hold" spare wires up there to keep them out of the way and make it look clean.

I am sure there are better cases but this was good since I didn't want to cut the case up to hide cables and it had wonderful ability for air flow. When I bought it though it was only 49.99 free shipping.

Last edited:

blakeredfield

My suggestion is to build a computer around your graphics card of choice.

> Tom's HW cummulative FPS rating (CFPS) is a good place to get a feel for what is going on in the scene. Also,
> Newegg's Golden egg and customer choice awards are very useful when trying to decide between models.

I too am in the process of designing a new computer (have been for about a year now :) and here are the choices I have to offer:

Nvidia GTX 260: [$200 after $45.00 rebate][CFPS: 3465][Newegg 2x Winner of Customer Choice Award]
EVGA has a fantastic free upgrade program called Step-Up. It allows you to upgrade any of the products found on the page there, to a better one at a later date. In a year or so, you can upgrade to a 285 that has about 15% better performance, without having to dip into your savings. (The step up program works with all EVGA products including motherboards.)

ATi HD4870: [$180][CFPS: 3356][5/5 Golden Eggs, 223 reviews]
If you are not interested in upgrading, or just dont want to bother, then go for this card. Its price is very good and the reviews are astounding.

Tom's hardware has GPU comparison tables that are of great use. The link below, shows the cummulative FPS performance of all games they tested. You will be running a single graphics card in your setup (for $500), so the card you see should not have a X2, SLi or CF beside it (these are parallel GPU setups - very expensive and not really worth it):
http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/gaming-graphics-charts-q3-2008/Sum-of-FPS-Benchmarks-Totals,795.html

This limits some of the other components, price-wise anyway. I'm working on the rest, will post updates as we go along. The suggestions the other guys posted will definately give you very nice graphics performance, however.

Last edited:

Twist86

Problem is he only has 500 bucks to spend...you would cheap the rest of the PC to stay within the price range.

Personally id sacrifice a bit of graphics to ensure I didn't cheap the parts on my rig. You might have the best GPU but if everything else runs like crap it wont help you out.

Also the EVGA step up is only for 90 days...not a year.

Last edited:

Dystopia

THIS is what I wrote on this subject. You will get a 64 X2 6000+, 3.1GHz dual core, 4GB RAM, 320GB SATA HDD, 9600GSO, DVD Burner, case, 500W PSU, and XP PRO SP3/Vista Home Basic SP1. $581 before rebates, shipping included, $511 after rebates shipping included.

Now this was written a little while ago, so you can probably get a better video card, and also obviously you can pick whatever case you want.

Gooberman

Problem is he only has 500 bucks to spend...you would cheap the rest of the PC to stay within the price range.

Personally id sacrifice a bit of graphics to ensure I didn't cheap the parts on my rig. You might have the best GPU but if everything else runs like crap it wont help you out.

Also the EVGA step up is only for 90 days...not a year.

I hate seing youtube videos of people buying QX9650 or i7 965 and end up getting like 9600 GT or 8800GT :/ and they say it's their extreme gaming computer
I even post comments about what I think.
One guy bought the i7 940 just to OC it to 3.2 GHz when he could of went with the 920 and OCed it to 3.2 and saved $200+

Twist86

Well for me a 8800GT is all I need for 1440x900 which still gets high/very high so I don't need much better yet.

Also if you a EVGA card you can get the funds up in 90 days and upgrade to a better card.

You can't do that with a CPU.

With his budget I would wager he is a mid-entry gamer like me so I doubt he needs a GTX 280 to supply his needs.

Last edited:

spock0149

Lol, thanks again for all the great info and the links folks.

Say, Twist86 a while ago you asked what my case size was. I just bought a tape measure today and its:

7.9" by 16.5" by 18.8" (width, height, length)

You think a new case is in order??

blakeredfield

In my previous post, I only suggested the video card to get thing started. I spent some time matching up equipment for you and this is the very best, in my fairly informed opinion, that $500 can buy:

GeForce GTX 260 ($208.99):
Build your gaming computer around your video card. This card has come down $50 since my first post suggesting it. The GTX 250s are comming out now, but early benchmarks show that this guy is the king.

GIGABYTE GA-G31M-ES2L ($52.99):
Has on board video (backup), audio, network card and is reputable.

Intel Pentium E5200 Wolfdale 2.5GHz 2MB L2 Cache ($72.99):
Wolfdale in sheep's clothing :). A simple bios tweak will have this running at 3.2GHz with Intel Heatsink/Fan.

G.SKILL PI Black 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR2 800 ($44.99):
A gamer needs gaming RAM! 4-4-4-12 timings at this price?

Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 500GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s ($64.99):
Your new motherboard has the ability to use a SATA2, 3Gb/s hard drive. Dont even think of using your ATA133 drive on your new machine. You need to match the technology on your new computer, to avoid bottlenecks.

OCZ StealthXStream OCZ600SXS 600W ($69.99):
After recommendations from posts below, I have changed this suggestion. The GTX260 needs at least 500W PSU. This power supply is stable and quiet. The stability of your system depends on a very good PSU. During gaming, the computer is taxed more than at any other time, so this is something you definately want to invest in.

Thats $514.94 without shipping, which should be around $15, but rebates are $30 from what I can tell.

Your case will work just fine, btw. Might be a bit tight, but try it. You can always run out to a local shop and pick up a case you like the look of.

There is something else that I wanted to bring your attention to however. Guessing from the specs of your previous computer, I'm guessing you're sitting in front of a cicra 2002 CRT monitor. All of your hard work building this new gaming machine will go completely to waste, unless you invest in a brand new, widescreen LCD monitor. After all, it is your window to your computer:

Acer X223Wbd Black 22" 5ms Widescreen LCD Monitor ($169):
Acer P243WAid Black-Silver 24" Widescreen LCD Monitor ($259.99):
With LCD monitors you need to keep your eye on its natural resolution, for this one, its 1680 x 1050. You will get the best image quality and response time, when running games at this resolution. Most games should support this directly. If they dont, do a quick google search for the specific game and resolution for suggestions on how to enable it. Sometimes, you need to add the resolution manually in the game's .ini file - but thats about it.

When buying a monitor, I would advise looking into it very carefully. Its something that tends to stay with your for a long time and its also the one thing that reflects your computer's abilities and quality. If necessary, wait a month or two and buy the very best you can afford - You should never go for the cheapest option, when purchasing a monitor.

I will be overhauling my very very old computer soon also, and this is definately where I'll be starting from.

If you want some very well informed reading material, go over to Tweakguides and read Koroush's Hardware Confution 2009, where he explains in detail why he chose each and every one of the computer components he put in his new 2009 machine. (That guy is like gospel for me).

Ow, and you will have to run Vista or Windows7 on your new machine, so that the games have DirectX 10 support - its an amazing difference.

Good luck, Spock! Post back what you've decided!

Last edited:

Dystopia

Lol, thanks again for all the great info and the links folks.

Say, Twist86 a while ago you asked what my case size was. I just bought a tape measure today and its:

7.9" by 16.5" by 18.8" (width, height, length)

You think a new case is in order??

I would say so. Do you know if you get any aire flow in that case?

In my previous post, I only suggested the video card to get thing started. I spent some time matching up equipment for you and this is the very best, in my fairly informed opinion, that $500 can buy:

GeForce GTX 260 ($179.99 after $20.00 Mail-In Rebate):
Build your gaming computer around your video card. This card has come down $50 since my first post suggesting it. The GTX 250s are comming out now, but early benchmarks show that this guy is the king.

GIGABYTE GA-G31M-ES2L ($52.99):
Has on board video (backup), audio, network card and is reputable.

Intel Pentium E5200 Wolfdale 2.5GHz 2MB L2 Cache ($72.99):
Wolfdale in sheep's clothing :). A simple bios tweak will have this running at 3.2GHz with Intel Heatsink/Fan.

G.SKILL PI Black 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR2 800 ($44.99):
A gamer needs gaming RAM! 4-4-4-12 timings at this price?

Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 500GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s ($64.99):
Your new motherboard has the ability to use a SATA2, 3Gb/s hard drive. Dont even think of using your ATA133 drive on your new machine. You need to match the technology on your new computer, to avoid bottlenecks.

Rosewill RP550V2-D-SL 550W ($59.99):
The GTX260 needs at least 500W PSU. This power supply is stable and quiet. The stability of your system depends on a very good PSU. During gaming, the computer is taxed more than at any other time, so this is something you definately want to invest in. It has some blue LED lights on it though and intake fans on the top of the PSU, so take care installing it.

Thats $495.94 without shipping, which should be around $15, but rebates are $20 from what I can tell.

Your case will work just fine, btw. Might be a bit tight, but try it. You can always run out to a local shop and pick up a case you like the look of.

There is something else that I wanted to bring your attention to however. Guessing from the specs of your previous computer, I'm guessing you're sitting in front of a cicra 2002 CRT monitor. All of your hard work building this new gaming machine will go completely to waste, unless you invest in a brand new, widescreen LCD monitor. After all, it is your window to your computer:

Acer X223Wbd Black 22" 5ms Widescreen LCD Monitor ($169):
Acer P243WAid Black-Silver 24" Widescreen LCD Monitor ($259.99):
With LCD monitors you need to keep your eye on its natural resolution, for this one, its 1680 x 1050. You will get the best image quality and response time, when running games at this resolution. Most games should support this directly. If they dont, do a quick google search for the specific game and resolution for suggestions on how to enable it. Sometimes, you need to add the resolution manually in the game's .ini file - but thats about it.

When buying a monitor, I would advise looking into it very carefully. Its something that tends to stay with your for a long time and its also the one thing that reflects your computer's abilities and quality. If necessary, wait a month or two and buy the very best you can afford - You should never go for the cheapest option, when purchasing a monitor.

I will be overhauling my very very old computer soon also, and this is definately where I'll be starting from.

If you want some very well informed reading material, go over to Tweakguides and read Koroush's Hardware Confution 2009, where he explains in detail why he chose each and every one of the computer components he put in his new 2009 machine. (That guy is like gospel for me).

Ow, and you will have to run Vista or Windows7 on your new machine, so that the games have DirectX 10 support - its an amazing difference.

Good luck, Spock! Post back what you've decided!

I disagree with the psu you chose. Rosewill is absolute crap. I have one of their wireless cards(i know its different but still...) and the only ting worse with it could be that it doesnt work at all or loses conection all the time. I highly doubt that their psu's will be any better.

get thermaltake, antec, corsiar, ocz, coolermaster, silverstone, hec, etc. Good stuff. maybe even pc power and cooling.

as for the case, you want to make sure you have good air flow! it's improtant! otherwise your whole computer WILL run hotter!

thats it pretty much...you can get a decent case for around 50 bucks, I have the Raidmax Scorpio, and it works well, comes with 3 80MM fans.

Bodaggit23

The GTX260 needs at least 500W PSU. This power supply is stable and quiet. The stability of your system depends on a very good PSU. During gaming, the computer is taxed more than at any other time, so this is something you definately want to invest in. It has some blue LED lights on it though and intake fans on the top of the PSU, so take care installing it.

The GTX260 also requires 36 Amps of it's own.
Minimum recommended power supply with +12 Volt current rating of 36 Amps

That Power Supply has 36 Amps total. There will be nothing left to run the hard drives, opticals and the rest of the pc. I would find one with at least double the amperage.

You can't beat this one. It has 72 Amps on four 12+ rails for just a bit more money:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341010