Help building great games machine for $500?

Bodaggit23

Excellent PSU. My brother has it. Only complaint is that (at least with his) when its on, there is a high pitch squeal, but that could be his. If you are bothered, just turn it off. No biggie.
Oh, that's not good. Hopefully it's just a fluke. Specs are good though for the money.

Dystopia

Oh, that's not good. Hopefully it's just a fluke. Specs are good though for the money.

I'm pretty sure it's just his. He asked around about it, and they said it's probably just the coils, not an issue. Like I said, it's probably his.

YES! For $500, you will not get a very good Intel build. Overall performance will be worse since those intels cost more. Then not only is the proc worse, but you also spent more money just to have Intel. IMO, that's not smart.

2048Megabytes

Here's my suggested build buying all parts from NewEgg.com:

AMD Phenom 8650 Toliman Tri-Core (2.3 gigahertz) Processor - $83

Patriot 2 gigabytes DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) RAM - $25
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820220255

GIGABYTE GA-MA770-UD3 AM2+/AM2 - $75

Seagate Barracuda ST3250310AS 250GB Hard Drive - $50

Thermaltake Purepower W0100RU 500W Power Supply - $60

Rosewill R103A Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - $37

Microsoft Windows Vista 64-Bit Home Basic - $90

Link Depot FAN-4LED-80BU 80mm Blue LED Case Fan - $2.60

Samsung Black 22x Model SH-S223F - $26

MSI R4650-D512 Radeon HD 4650 Video Card - $62
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127384

Shipping $45

$555.60

blakeredfield

The GTX260 also requires 36 Amps of it's own.

That Power Supply has 36 Amps total. There will be nothing left to run the hard drives, opticals and the rest of the pc. I would find one with at least double the amperage.

You can't beat this one. It has 72 Amps on four 12+ rails for just a bit more money:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341010

You're right - Thank you. I was thinking of saving some money on the PSU, but thats a bad idea. Also, this one specifically is about $40 cheaper than the competition (comparing total amperage and the modular design).

I have updated my post above.

blakeredfield

YES! For $500, you will not get a very good Intel build. Overall performance will be worse since those intels cost more. Then not only is the proc worse, but you also spent more money just to have Intel. IMO, that's not smart.

I'm no fanboy, nor do I want to start this kind of debate, but Intel CPU architechture is superior. Nvidia graphics also superior. Gaming requirements need superior hardware. If I can fit it in $500 then why not get the best?

2048Megabytes

I'm no fanboy, nor do I want to start this kind of debate, but Intel CPU architechture is superior. Nvidia graphics also superior. Gaming requirements need superior hardware. If I can fit it in $500 then why not get the best?

It depends what Intel processor you are talking about. The AMD Phenom II processors beat some of the Core 2 Duo models.

The Phenom 8650 Tri-Core beats the Pentium E5200 Wolfdale processor. Any of the Phenom II processors also have more processing power than the E5200.

Bodaggit23

It depends what Intel processor you are talking about. The AMD Phenom II processors beat some of the Core 2 Duo models.

The Phenom 8650 Tri-Core beats the Pentium E5200 Wolfdale processor. Any of the Phenom II processors also have more processing power than the E5200.
You can't beat the value of an AMD Phenom II.

Why are you so attached to the Triple core chips? Just curious.

2048Megabytes

You can't beat the value of an AMD Phenom II.

Why are you so attached to the Triple core chips? Just curious.

Because they are better than many of the Dual-Core processors and the value is great. The 8650 is only $83 at NewEgg.com.

The Phenom II 710 Tri-Core is also only $124.

Damian Stormbow

The prices for today's high powered equipment are unreal. I remember the first PC I purchased but couldn't remember what it looked like. I found it...

2packardbell.jpg

A Packard Bell 80486 w/256MB RAM and 250MB HD.

A steal at $2,500.00 in 1990! :eek:

The system in my Signature was just a little over $750.00 @ www.newegg.com.

:cool:

Bodaggit23

Because they are better than many of the Dual-Core processors and the value is great. The 8650 is only $83 at NewEgg.com.
The Phenom II 710 Tri-Core is also only $124.
How are they better exactly? I know they'll smoke those Pentium chips, but
how do they stack up against some of the Core 2 chips?

You definitely can't beat the price though.

mx344

Well, if you compare the e8400 to an amd 8650, oviously the e8400 will win, due to its larger cache, faster stock speed, newer 45nm process.

But if you compare it w/ a processor that is close to prices as the amd cpu, then amd kills...:)

2048Megabytes

I was just looking at this information.

The Phenom 8750 Tri-Core processor has about the same processing power as the as the Core 2 Duo E6550. The Phenom 8650 processor is obviously a little slower than the Phenom 8750.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-phenom-athlon,1918-12.html

Now I am wondering how the Core 2 Duo E7400 stacks up against the Phenom II 710 Tri-Core processor. Both are about the same price range and I believe about the same processing power.

blakeredfield

E5200 2.5 GHz OC to 4.0 GHz on P5K Pro P35 MB

Not news but sufficient proof for value for money? You can definately OC to the limits of your MB. 45 nm process. 65 W power consumption. But what other Intel Wolfdale is the E5200 comparable with at say, 3.4 GHz? Can anyone find a benchmark?

Also, from Tom's Charts: (3DMark Vantage - Score)

Intel Core 2 Duo E6850 $169.00 = 8355
AMD Phenom X3 8650 $82.99 = 8259

Price advantage is clear. Compared with E5200 OCed w/ aftermarket cooling to 4.0 GHz though?

Having a look at the comprehensive CPU tables for Gaming performance, one cannot deny that Intel has the better technology. As far as the advice we're trying to give this fellow here goes, my money is on an Intel with OC potential (and his should be too).

Last edited:

2048Megabytes

Why buy a Pentium E5200 processor and overclock it to hopefully get the same results as a Phenom 8650 running at manufacturer recommended clock speeds? Getting a Pentium E5200 is not the best value in my opinion.

blakeredfield

Why buy a Pentium E5200 processor and overclock it to hopefully get the same results as a Phenom 8650 running at manufacturer recommended clock speeds? Getting a Pentium E5200 is not the best value in my opinion.

The differences might not be observable in RL but the reason I insist is, as I mentioned, because Intel has the best technology. And I think that the E5200, gently OCed to 3.2GHz would beat the Phenom II, but I'm asking for a benchmark to make sure - I cant find one...

2048Megabytes

... so noone can find a benchmark showing a 8650 Phenom II beating an OCed E5200, both at approx 3GHz?

I rest my case...

Check out this post. We are talking about the Phenoms versus the Core 2 Duo processors:

http://www.computerforum.com/147044-phenom-ii-710-core-2-duo-e7400.html

Edit: There is no Phenom II 8650. The Phenom 8650 was a first generation Phenom processor. The Pentium E5200 is a good processor, but the Phenom 8650 Tri-Core is better. It would beat the Pentium E5200 even if the E5200 was overclocked.

Last edited:

blakeredfield

Thank you for the reply. You are right about the Phenom 8650 being first gen and not II, 'twas a slip of the kb.

The post you directed me to however, didnt really seem to result in a compelling conclusion. The AMD is a bit cheeper and better for multitasking. This chap wants to build a gaming machine though... If he hasnt gotten one yet, and he waits another week, the E7200s and even E8400s will drop even more, then there will not be any competition.

As long as he sticks with a Nvidia GTX260, and goes with whatever processor/motherboard he thinks is affordable, he will have a very very nice gaming rig, imo.