help installing xp

Go into device manager and tell me what is listed under network controllers.

Under network adapters is:
Broadband NetXtreme 57xx Gigabit Controller
Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection

You need a newer web browser. IE 6 doesn't connect to a lot of websites anymore.
During one of these installs (I have done this twice with same discs to make sure I was doing it right) laptop updated itself to IE 8 and it still didn't work. I am unable to manually update because it won't let me go to website to download.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Download and install this driver to see if it makes a difference.

https://downloads.dell.com/FOLDER95938M/12/Intel_multi-device_A13_R171131.exe

FYI, there is no reason to buy a driver disk or use driver update software. You always want to go to the manufacturers website to get the correct drivers. I'm curious if that model actually has the dell wireless adapter in it. Are you able to connect an ethernet cable to it to get internet just to test?

The dell wireless driver is this one.

https://downloads.dell.com/FOLDER85829M/10/R151519.exe

I downloaded the driver to disc (since I can't go online from laptop) And opened disc on laptop, I want to copy disc, correct? where do I want to copy it, Local Disc C? I did connect an ethernet cable directly and it did not connect except to msn.com and weather links etc on homepage, not outlook or any other websites.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
I did connect an ethernet cable directly and it did not connect except to msn.com and weather links etc on homepage, not outlook or any other websites.
That is weird, doesn't make sense. Something makes me think you have a bad windows install. Pinging a website is causing an error and it doesn't use IE to ping.

Try downloading this and installing it, its the pale moon browser. See if it will browse anywhere.

ftp://palemoon:[email protected]/26.x/26.5.0/palemoon-26.5.0.win32.installer.exe This is the last official release that worked with XP. Save it to a usb flash drive and then install it.
I want to copy disc, correct?

You could actually just run the file from cd, no need for copying but since ethernet cable didn't let you browse either then the problem lies somewhere else. Thats why I'm wanting you to install a different browser but not sure if it will work. If not, sounds like a bad windows install.

That is weird, doesn't make sense. Something makes me think you have a bad windows install. Pinging a website is causing an error and it doesn't use IE to ping.

Try downloading this and installing it, its the pale moon browser. See if it will browse anywhere.

ftp://palemoon:[email protected]/26.x/26.5.0/palemoon-26.5.0.win32.installer.exe This is the last official release that worked with XP. Save it to a usb flash drive and then install it.

You could actually just run the file from cd, no need for copying but since ethernet cable didn't let you browse either then the problem lies somewhere else. Thats why I'm wanting you to install a different browser but not sure if it will work. If not, sounds like a bad windows install.

i do not have a usb flahdrive, can I save to disc? Also, if this is getting to be too much....; what do I need to do to get laptop working again? Try a different xp os disc, or buy a newer version of windows that comes with a product key, and I shouldn't have to buy a drivers disc because I can download from dell for free, if so will I am able to get online from laptop to download or do I have to save to disc on another computer and run disc on laptop? Thanks for all the help.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Go back to the run box and type cmd again. This time type ipconfig hit enter. What does it list for an IPv4 address and default gateway?

ip.jpg

there is no IPv4 address, only an IP address, Subnet Mask. default gateway is 192.168.254.254
when I ping 8.8.8.8 it syas pakets sent 4 received 4 lost 0
min 13ms max 15ms

Should I try installing drivers listed for my model from dell?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Doesn't look like you are actually getting an IP address. Run the ipconfig on the system that gets internet and tell me what the IPv4 address is or just post an image of your results which would actually be best.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
I'm wondering if you have a static ip set that is outside the range of your network. Go into control panel, click on network connections, right click on your wireless connection click on properties. Check to see what you have set for here.

image002ac.jpg

You should have both options in red checked.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
On that screen, click on internet protocol tcp/ip and then click on properties and then you'll see the screen i posted.

yes, mine looks just like your screen.... should I uninstall drivers that came on non oem disc, and just go to dell and download the drivers for my model and see if that works?

ok John, I will try, which driver did you want me to install of the two? What about the palemoon browser??? If it doesn't work after what you recommend, i think I will try a different OS disc (I have already returned for a refund) and unisnstall and return the driver disk and just download off dell website. Does that sound like a good plan? Thanks to everyone for their help!!!

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
I can't remember if XP will give you device id's or not. If you go into device manager and right click on the wireless device, click on properties, click on the details tab, do you see something similar to this?

device id.jpg

If its there, you may need to change property to hardware id. if info is there, please uninstall wireless driver then check to see if new data is listed. It would probably say unknown device or network controller when its uninstalled. Do you have an official dell windows XP installation cd? If so, you wouldn't even need the activation key as OEM's are preactivated. Once I get the ven and dev numbers I can tell you what exact wireless you have. What is the service tag number for you laptop? I would definitely install the pale moon browser so you could browse any website. Firefox install requires internet access to install. Chrome no longer supports XP.

I don't see that, see screenshot below....... I can keep trying but if it is easier to start from scratch with a new OS disc and drivers downloaded for free from dell I am good with that. I am obviously a novice and just want this laptop back working as easy and cheap as possible. If I get new OS disc I have to either get xp since this is what my product key on laptop sticker goes to003.JPG or get a newer OS which has product key included, right?

Last edited: