Help me decide: ps3 or 360

lovely?

I just bought a PS3 and I love it 10 times more than the experiences I've had with other people's 360s. Plus no ring of fire to deal with. I bought Guitar Hero 3, Resistance: Fall of Man, Oblivion and it came with some game-Motor Sport? I don't know. Anyway, my vote goes for PS3.

oh and actually that problem was fixed ages ago, and the people with systems that might have that problem now have a huuuuge freeeee warranty

chrislo

That ring of death is bull****. I been using my 360 for nearly 2 years and except for 1-2 times it froze I never had any technical problems. Sometimes I wonder if some of these rings of death is caused by abuse of the system? I spent like $750 when I first bought the 360 and got allot more bang for the buck. If I got a PS3 instead I would of had to spend well over $1,000 and I wouldn't have access to great games like Halo 3, Bioshock, and Mass Effect.

PC is great for many games, but some games are just good on the console.

ghost

Sometimes I wonder if some of these rings of death is caused by abuse of the system?
Not correct, myself and 4 of my close friends have has the "ring of death" just from normal use. Also my console was only 3 months old, kept in a well ventilated place and never used for more then 5ish hours at a time. Coincidence, I think not.

bigsaucybob

I have had an Xbox since about 2 weeks after it came out, and I waited in line with 7 of my friends. We are all still using the same 360's (except for me) and we have never once had a problem.

I returned mine to Best Buy with my warranty to get the new Premium with the quieter drive and the HDMI port. It wasn't actually broken to begin with.

jimmymac

VIP Member
(ps dont hit me with that 'if you add all the options it actually costs more' stuff, because i dont need wireless internet, blu-ray isnt necessary for the picture quality that people with average monitor's can actually display, and for god sakes its 400$ !!)

you might not but the addition of a blu ray drive that will allow the play back of HD movies is a massive pull for some people. The price difference really sint that much here in the UK, in fact for the lower graded 40GB version its almost exactly the same price as an xbox360 elite

chrislo

Not correct, myself and 4 of my close friends have has the "ring of death" just from normal use. Also my console was only 3 months old, kept in a well ventilated place and never used for more then 5ish hours at a time. Coincidence, I think not.

All I know is I followed the manual and my 360 still works even after 2 years. In the past few months I spent many hours playing Bioshock and Halo 3 not even once did it freeze. Mind you my 360 is one of the first ever made for mass production. Something is up, then on the other hand I take crazy good care of my machines.

chrislo

you might not but the addition of a blu ray drive that will allow the play back of HD movies is a massive pull for some people. The price difference really sint that much here in the UK, in fact for the lower graded 40GB version its almost exactly the same price as an xbox360 elite

If you are interested in Hi-Def movies you could just get a regular DVD player that converts standard definition DVD's into Hi-Def 1080p format. You could get a decent model for $100.

Archangel

VIP Member

tough, you'd need a HD/HDready tv, and you ofcourse would have to buy all the movies you'd want to see on blu-ray :)
personally, I still think blu-ray and hd-dvd will end up like the minidisk, nice, but not going to a common standard. on a sidenote, I dont think Sony put a blu-ray drive in the ps3 for 'increased performance', I think they only put it in to prevent people from copy-ing games. :)

chrislo

tough, you'd need a HD/HDready tv, and you ofcourse would have to buy all the movies you'd want to see on blu-ray :)
personally, I still think blu-ray and hd-dvd will end up like the minidisk, nice, but not going to a common standard. on a sidenote, I dont think Sony put a blu-ray drive in the ps3 for 'increased performance', I think they only put it in to prevent people from copy-ing games. :)

I have my doubts for how long Blu-Ray disk will be safe from hacking/copying. Blu-Ray drives already exist to burn a Blu-Ray disk. So how long until they are selling cheap knock off's of Blu-Ray movies and PS3 games? The only thing that really is holding it back for now is the fact a blank Blu-Ray disk cost something like $20. The one thing HD-DVD's have going for them right now is no consumer device exist to burn them, so they will be hard maybe even impossible to copy.

I was thinking that Blu-Ray might win the format war due to the fact they hold more date but I recently learned that they are working on a 51 GB triple-layer HD-DVD disk so this format war will get interesting.

Then like you said its possible they will both go the way of the Mini Disk.

Last edited:

Archangel

VIP Member
I have my doubts for how long Blu-Ray disk will be safe from hacking/copying. Blu-Ray drives already exist to burn a Blu-Ray disk. So how long until they are selling cheap knock off's of Blu-Ray movies and PS3 games? The only thing that really is holding it back for now is the fact a blank Blu-Ray disk cost something like $20. The one thing HD-DVD's have going for them right now is no consumer device exist to burn them, so they will be hard maybe even impossible to copy.

well, how long has the PS3 been out already? ;) and how many people will buy a Blu-ray burner already? fact is, its next to imbossible to get games for the PS3 copied atm, wile they are quite wide available for the 360 (when its flashed ) besides that, who would put the effort in copying a game, when a original is just slightly more expensive? I think you get my point :)

4NGU$

VIP Member
well hd isent a pull for me anyway cause i dont have a hdtv :p

i dont need wireless as it will be in the room with my pc and router

so i am more swaying towards the 360 as most of myfriends have them and such
plus just found out were getting a wii for Christmas :D

Archangel

VIP Member
if your friends have 360's too,.. and you have multiple tv's in your house... (you get my point i gues ^^)

chrislo

well, how long has the PS3 been out already? ;) and how many people will buy a Blu-ray burner already? fact is, its next to imbossible to get games for the PS3 copied atm, wile they are quite wide available for the 360 (when its flashed ) besides that, who would put the effort in copying a game, when a original is just slightly more expensive? I think you get my point :)

It hasn't been out for years and years, by time the end of its lifetime comes I wouldn't be shocked to see knock off's. Right now as we speak people are probably find ways around its security so they can copy it. The disk are expensive yes, but in a few years the price will come down.

Good example would be the memory stick pro duo for the PSP. Back in 2005 I was looking for a 1 GB card it cost $180 now I can get that same card for $30.

Even at $20 a piece that is a far cry from $60+tax. If you were to download the hacked game and buy the disk you would save $40+. Yea I know you still have to buy the drive but after a few games it pays off.

Of course if I was going to download hacked games I would do it for the 360 since the 360 uses old fashion DVD disk.

hermeslyre

VIP Member
Blu-ray has already been cracked,

http://www.rlslog.net/bd-drm-cracked-is-anyone-other-than-sony-shocked/

Allegedly.

On the topic of 360 malfunction, I've had three, 2 of which didn't get the red ring of death, but still pulled a PS2. Disc read errors on brand new discs, obviously the optical drives in fault, laser might've been off. I've fixed a couple PS2's with the issue, but seeing as I still had a warranty on the 360, both times, I just turned it in for a new one.

chrislo

Blu-ray has already been cracked,

http://www.rlslog.net/bd-drm-cracked-is-anyone-other-than-sony-shocked/

Allegedly.

On the topic of 360 malfunction, I've had three, 2 of which didn't get the red ring of death, but still pulled a PS2. Disc read errors on brand new discs, obviously the optical drives in fault, laser might've been off. I've fixed a couple PS2's with the issue, but seeing as I still had a warranty on the 360, both times, I just turned it in for a new one.

See they beat me to the punch. Hackers will always find a way around a security measure. The disk scratching I think is caused by a bad lens or something similar. Did they refund you for your games?

hermeslyre

VIP Member
Nah, I'm a pro, by now I better be. I've been through all this with my Ps2, like I mentioned, I know better than to continue to play discs after I discover circular scratches on them. My copy of oblivion just started to do that, when I knew something was up. I got it all resolved, not much damage, the third system, a feb of 2007 i believe, worked fine, like a charm.

As for console of choice, The Wii, because Nintendo is the single greatest game developer on the planet, they release consistently good titles every year, some of the most enjoyable, as well. Out of the 360 and Ps3, I dunno. They both have a shitload of awesome games exclusive to their respective platforms, I would've chosen the PS3 a couple months ago, but with several major developers jumping ship laely, and pulling exclusivity, it makes the decision that much harder.