Help Me Find a Case

Geoff

VIP Member
Yeah, the cooling is good (although Omega's temps suck pretty bad).. I've used hundreds of cases in the last decade. I've seen them all, from rackmounts, mini towers, shuttles, desktops to pedestals and full towers.

To me, the build is the most important aspect of a case. Who cares what it looks like if the build is crapola. I find it amusing how some people praise those POS drive cages. They're the worst garbage design I've ever seen. Even the HPs have better cages.
The temps are high because of the CPU cooler I am using. I put my processor back on stock and it idles around 28C, with the cores being around 20C. This case drastically reduced the temps of my system when I moved from a Lian-Li to the 900.

Kornowski

VIP Member
Do you think it would benefit me in the same way, drop my temps? At the moment, I'm idling at 36c, Load temps are about 54c...

Geoff, Have you ever thought about cutting holes in it to route the cables behind the MOBO tray?

PC eye

banned
[-0MEGA-];859208 said:
The temps are high because of the CPU cooler I am using. I put my processor back on stock and it idles around 28C, with the cores being around 20C. This case drastically reduced the temps of my system when I moved from a Lian-Li to the 900.

Precisely! The Lian-Li lacked a good setup for the intake of cooler room air compared to the twin 120s seen in front on the 900 as well as a larger 200mm fan sitting on top plus location of supply being away from trapping heat at the top next to the board.

I don't see why it wouldn't drop your temps a few degrees, sure.

Try a Zalman CNPS 9500 on a 939 model board in a case only seeing two 80mm rear and top fans seeing 44-46C idle for the XP3200 and 46-48C for the board then moving everything into a better case just prior to the first sight of the 900 with a new case seeing a 140mm front intake and rear 120. Then add two 120s on the side cover later.

Board temps immediately dropped to 31C with the cpu then seeing only 33C! As Praetor owuld say "Ambient temps" meaning the temperature of the air inside the case overall having a direct effect when the board gets hot seeing higher cpu temps as well. Once you cool the board down better all attached hardwares like cpu, memory, video and sound cards, drives, etc. benefit as well.

Geoff

VIP Member
Do you think it would benefit me in the same way, drop my temps? At the moment, I'm idling at 36c, Load temps are about 54c...

Geoff, Have you ever thought about cutting holes in it to route the cables behind the MOBO tray?
It probably would, I just have it at stock now until I get a better cooling setup, then I will start overclocking again. Or I may just overclock until it's not stable any more on the stock voltage.

I never thought about doing that with the motherboard tray, as it seems fine the way it is now.